PDA

View Full Version : tuna and mercury poisoning

bigpoppapump979
03-11-2005, 08:43 PM
i gnerally eat a ton of tuna since it comes in a can and is protein packed and calorie dense with low fat. everyone knows how good tuna is for protein. but tday i was reading an article that said eating albacore tuna more than once a week is discouraged because of high levels of mercury in the fish. how true is this? im not really worried about what ive eaten so far but i may cut back my tuna consumption a little.

edit...found a couple old threads about the same issue.

GMCtrk
03-11-2005, 10:15 PM
it's very true. Mercury poisoning is nothing to mess around with either

Dirt
03-11-2005, 10:23 PM
I'd tell you to search old threads, but you already have, so I'll just say this. Yes there's a theoretical risk, but the practical risk is grossly overstated. Eat in moderation and you won't have to worry about anything.

Double D
03-11-2005, 11:26 PM
I agree with Dirt, If it was that dangerous don't you think they would ban sale of tuna. Sure there may be some risk if you eat it every single day of your life, but a few days a week wont kill you.

GMCtrk
03-12-2005, 01:13 AM
[QUOTE=Double D]If it was that dangerous don't you think they would ban sale of tunaQUOTE]

Don't think that the FDA wont do that

spanky33
03-12-2005, 04:08 AM
the risk of mercury poisoning is only involved with FRESH tuna.
generally, canned tuna is small fish that dont feed on other fish, and have low amounts of mercury (since mercury bioaccumulates).
canned tuna is totally fine.

bigpoppapump979
03-12-2005, 04:15 PM
hmmm ive never heard that before...isnt it all commercial? so the bioaccumulation would apply to canned tuna?

Vido
03-12-2005, 05:10 PM
the risk of mercury poisoning is only involved with FRESH tuna.
generally, canned tuna is small fish that dont feed on other fish, and have low amounts of mercury (since mercury bioaccumulates).
canned tuna is totally fine.

Just to correct this slightly, what you are saying IS true in practice, but theoretically you "could" consume enough canned tuna to get mercury poisoning. The chances of anyone consuming that much tuna though makes it pointless to worry about.

Vido
03-12-2005, 05:12 PM
If it was that dangerous don't you think they would ban sale of tuna.

Question: Are cigarettes banned?

spanky33
03-12-2005, 05:21 PM
thanks vido. that is what i meant. the amount in canned tuna is very small, but it IS possible to over do it. however, u'd have to eat alot of canned tuna. ALOT

GMCtrk
03-12-2005, 06:11 PM
thanks vido. that is what i meant. the amount in canned tuna is very small, but it IS possible to over do it. however, u'd have to eat alot of canned tuna. ALOT

HOW do you you know what is ALOT? What defines alot when it comes to tuna? Do you know how much mercury is in each can of tuna? I don't think anyone knows. The FDA warning limits preganant women to 1 can of tuna a week to prevent possible brain damage to the fetus (from mercury).

THe bodies of water are only getting dirtier, and this will become more and more of an issue over time.

spanky33
03-12-2005, 06:41 PM
i'm currently taking a nutritional toxicology class at the university of toronto.
"alot" is defined in canada as 0.5 part per billion mercury (limit per day)
in the states, it's defined as 1 part per billion (only methyl mercury, not other forms).
and I know that my professor (who's pretty built, and knows this stuff inside out) eats 5-6 cans of tuna a week. i asked him myself to verify.
he said fresh tuna is the major concern.

GMCtrk
03-12-2005, 06:43 PM
i'm currently taking a nutritional toxicology class at the university of toronto.
"alot" is defined in canada as 0.5 part per billion mercury (limit per day)
in the states, it's defined as 1 part per billion (only methyl mercury, not other forms).
and I know that my professor (who's pretty built, and knows this stuff inside out) eats 5-6 cans of tuna a week. i asked him myself to varify.
he said fresh tuna is the major concern.

5-6 cans a week is acceptable to me, but there are a lot of people here that eat like 4+ cans a day :micro:

spanky33
03-12-2005, 06:45 PM
then there's a threat of lead poisoning from all that canned food...

betastas
03-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Lead is rarely used in canned good manufacturing in north america anymore. Generally it's imported goods from underdeveloped nations who use lead as a solder in cans. If you don't consume imported goods from these countries, you should be okay. Modern food container manufacturing uses a significant amount of aluminum, as aluminum is perhaps the cheapest, safest and most abundant metal available to the industry.

Most mainstream food brands (Campbells for instance) use modern equipment and aluminum for the construction. If you're worried about these lead levels, I would suggest that you only purchase food from a well-known company.

Vitalize
03-14-2005, 06:10 AM
With an issue like this it changes for party to party..(Creatine anybody)
What is healthy one day is gonna kill you the next.
I am well aware of the warnings in the media but in the end, it is up to the individual what or what not to put into his or her body.
I eat on average 2 cans of tuna a day, and have beef more than once a week..you could say that by eating the beef Im playing russian roulette with B.S.E.
You just gotta live life, and try not to worry too worry too much about what the media says all the time.(and lord knows the amount of B.S. they generate)
Your choice! :windup:

zer06ame
03-14-2005, 06:52 AM
i'm not going to worry about getting mercury poisoning from eating tuna because i highly doubt it'll ever happen, and if it does, that blows. i don't eat an excessive amount of tuna (atleast i don't believe i do), usually about 5-6 cans a week (max of 8, rarely do i do that unless i'm on a break from school and have to work a bunch of days)

hooligan_media
03-14-2005, 09:59 AM
I eat lots of seafood, mainly canned tuna and salmon steaks. I find Tuna steaks and swordfish steaks to be high in mercury, so I wouldn't over-do them. Canned tuna has always been pretty good with me.

crazedwombat
03-14-2005, 10:43 AM
meh, I eat 3 cans of tuna a day 3-4 times a week and still live...long term? meh, who wants to live that long :)

Monkey
03-15-2005, 03:27 AM
i eat at least 4 cans of tuna a day and theres nuthin wrong wit,,,..L:fgfg me is there :)

Vido
03-15-2005, 12:07 PM
i eat at least 4 cans of tuna a day and theres nuthin wrong wit,,,..L:fgfg me is there :)

I don't know where I'd draw the line, but a minimum of 28 cans/week is getting up there I'll admit.

crazedwombat
03-15-2005, 12:14 PM
^^^

yea, I'll go with that...9-12 is about all i could stomache as it is

Geeper
03-15-2005, 12:20 PM
I half think the mercury in tuna is something PETA started (man, they hate tuna fishers, then again they hate everybody don't they?). Sure mercury is not good for you, but how much? There are millions of people walking around with mercury in their fillings right now. More mercury than it would probably take a years to get from tuna. Everything has it's time in the media to get crapped on, everything has been linked to some disease or cancer at some point, what are you gonna do stop eating?