PDA

View Full Version : Genetics and cheatdays

Beavereater
03-12-2005, 06:23 AM
I've done a search...and everyone seems to have a different opinion of what a cheatday is. First, should you count your cals on a cheat? Should you worry about your macros? I was always under the impression "Eat and eat to excess?" ...that's what I've been doing...and it seems to work. Could this be genetics then, or is this natural...as in you're not gonna get fat in a day or for a days worth of eating bad?

spanky33
03-12-2005, 09:15 AM
i used to be a fat guy. 22% fat. i started cheating on weekends and i shot up very quickly to 11%, but I've been holding there since. I'm also curious about cheat days...

Shao-LiN
03-12-2005, 09:19 AM
If you're cheating, I don't see a point in counting calories. Have fun and resume your diet the next day. It's not like one day will ruin your progress. Need to look at the bigger picture. A lot of cheat days will.

spanky33
03-12-2005, 09:23 AM
are cheat days used for cutters or bulkers or both? i cheat on weekends and i bulk every other day. the difference is that on cheat days, i eat junk food rather than clean food.

Vido
03-12-2005, 02:38 PM
It's not like one day will ruin your progress.

Depends how much you can eat :evillaugh

I can eat about 3-4 days worth of "bulking-level" calories in a single cheat day. When I do that, it certainly sets me back.

are cheat days used for cutters or bulkers or both? i cheat on weekends and i bulk every other day. the difference is that on cheat days, i eat junk food rather than clean food.

Personally, I think they should be used on cuts moreso than bulks. You should be fairly satisfied with your diet on a bulk, and if you really want that slice of pizza or donut, it won't kill you to have it anyway. On the other hand, on a cut chances are you won't be satisfied with your diet, so cheating gives a little peace of mind as well as provides a little metabolism boost.

And what do you mean you "bulk every other day"? :scratch:

spanky33
03-12-2005, 02:41 PM
i guess i mean i cheat on the weekends (or super super bulk), but bulk normally (clean bulk) during the week (monday to friday). that's what i meant.

BUFF STUFF
03-12-2005, 02:48 PM
I have beer and chips on my cheat day, proably the reason why I aint shredded!!

Gota have some fun on the weekend!!

spencerjrus
03-12-2005, 02:49 PM
its nice to have occasional cheat days when on a clean bulk, i get tired of oatmeal and peanut butter 24/7.

Hercule
03-12-2005, 02:58 PM
As far as totally throwing macros out the window on cheat days, I disagree. I'm very strict when it comes to dieting, and that includes cheat days. I'm doing a UD2.0...low carb during the week followed by a 36 hour carb up. I consume around 1500g clean carbs on the carb ups. I try to keep them as clean as possible, ALWAYS keeping fat below 60g. If you want to go crazy, the consequences probably won't be horrible, but then again, I don't want to risk anything. I guess it all depends on how disciplined you are, and, as is included in your thread title, your genetics which will determine how well you can put up w/ cheat days.

Vido
03-12-2005, 03:01 PM
its nice to have occasional cheat days when on a clean bulk, i get tired of oatmeal and peanut butter 24/7.

Fie upon you! You should never get tired of peanut butter! :D

Vido
03-12-2005, 03:03 PM
As far as totally throwing macros out the window on cheat days, I disagree. I'm very strict when it comes to dieting, and that includes cheat days. I'm doing a UD2.0...low carb during the week followed by a 36 hour carb up. I consume around 1500g clean carbs on the carb ups. I try to keep them as clean as possible, ALWAYS keeping fat below 60g. If you want to go crazy, the consequences probably won't be horrible, but then again, I don't want to risk anything. I guess it all depends on how disciplined you are, and, as is included in your thread title, your genetics which will determine how well you can put up w/ cheat days.

I've done a bunch of UD2 cycles and you're right, it really depends on how disciplined you are. Optimal results come from keeping the carbs clean and fat low. However, the results won't be "that" much worse from having an all-out binge, and it might be easier on you psychologically in terms of sticking with the diet. So, it's really just contingent on the person involved.

spencerjrus
03-12-2005, 03:17 PM

10 tbsp a day can get on my nerves. ;)

Vido
03-12-2005, 03:38 PM
10 tbsp a day can get on my nerves. ;)

I'm at a minimum of 12 right now, and LOVING it! mmmmmmmmmmmm

spanky33
03-12-2005, 05:25 PM
well for me, i've gone on all out binge cheat days on the weekend for about 7 weeks. my body fat has gone up 3% so far.. so i'm not sure how other ppl say cheats are ok.

Shao-LiN
03-12-2005, 06:32 PM
You're binging the whole weekend? Cheat days are fine, but if you find a way to take it to a really weird extreme, then they can be bad, especially if you have them for multiple days in a row vs. one day every now and then.

In the end, use some common sense.

spanky33
03-12-2005, 06:38 PM
are you saying this from experience shao-lin?
lets say i come home on the weekend after a long week of clean eating/studying/working out, and i just all out pig out for one whole saturday, would my body fat % not change in the long run?
what if i do it every saturday?
has anyone tried this? care to share experience?

Vido
03-12-2005, 08:55 PM
are you saying this from experience shao-lin?
lets say i come home on the weekend after a long week of clean eating/studying/working out, and i just all out pig out for one whole saturday, would my body fat % not change in the long run?
what if i do it every saturday?
has anyone tried this? care to share experience?

If you're "bulking" from Sunday-Friday (ie. taking in excess calories over maintenance) your bodyfat will probably increase over time REGARDLESS of whether or not you cheat on Saturdays. Cheating will only exacerbate it.

spanky33
03-12-2005, 09:22 PM
dam..lol

zer06ame
03-12-2005, 10:54 PM

i never get sick of peanut butter, i eat 3-4 peanut butter sandwhiches a day and 5-6 tbsp's of peanut butter before bed
it's the greatest thing ever

Built
03-12-2005, 10:58 PM
Personally, I think they should be used on cuts moreso than bulks. You should be fairly satisfied with your diet on a bulk, and if you really want that slice of pizza or donut, it won't kill you to have it anyway. On the other hand, on a cut chances are you won't be satisfied with your diet, so cheating gives a little peace of mind as well as provides a little metabolism boost.

I agree.

I keep a jar of Adam's crunchy at my desk at work.

I could drink it straight out of the jar.

Beavereater
03-13-2005, 12:17 AM
So could this be a cheat day...or would this be just stupid

breakfast - scrambled eggs, bacon, toast hashed potatoes
Snacks - A chocolate bar, or some chips
Lunch - fastfood
Dinner - Pizza, beers and some chips

Remember this is all in excess...

I know genetics would play some role, just wondering how much in general. I've been doing cheats to keep sane, and have not gone up in bf% when I am on a cut, but still gone down. I just wonder if I would lose even more bf% on if I left the cheat days out...

ARN
03-13-2005, 01:02 AM
Thats what my cheatday is like. I eat basically everything that I carve for during the week.

Beavereater
03-13-2005, 01:30 AM
Thats what my cheatday is like. I eat basically everything that I carve for during the week.

And you're body takes it OK...even on a cut? I just wonder if I should try to substitute a cheat day with maybe a cheat meal...I'm definitely not getting my protein and eating way too much fat, but it keeps me sane. BUT I can probably handle just a meal, but that would be a mother of a cheat meal.

Vido
03-13-2005, 04:24 AM
I just wonder if I should try to substitute a cheat day with maybe a cheat meal.

That's my favourite approach. Then again, I'll eat anywhere from 5-8K cals in this one "meal" :hide:.

JSully
03-13-2005, 04:34 AM
As far as totally throwing macros out the window on cheat days, I disagree. I'm very strict when it comes to dieting, and that includes cheat days. I'm doing a UD2.0...low carb during the week followed by a 36 hour carb up. I consume around 1500g clean carbs on the carb ups. I try to keep them as clean as possible, ALWAYS keeping fat below 60g. If you want to go crazy, the consequences probably won't be horrible, but then again, I don't want to risk anything. I guess it all depends on how disciplined you are, and, as is included in your thread title, your genetics which will determine how well you can put up w/ cheat days.:withstupi

JSully
03-13-2005, 04:38 AM
That's my favourite approach. Then again, I'll eat anywhere from 5-8K cals in this one "meal" :hide:.
LMAO. You're one man that can EAT!

Surprisingly, you can out-eat me! Bastard!

BTW, I went to taco bell a few weeks ago on my cheat day, and ordered a total of 8 tacos, consisting of hard taco supremes, soft taco supremes, and bean burritos.... and sh1t! I could only finish 4.

This damn psmf just shrinks the fcuk outa my stomache!

Vido
03-13-2005, 04:50 AM
BTW, I went to taco bell a few weeks ago on my cheat day, and ordered a total of 8 tacos, consisting of hard taco supremes, soft taco supremes, and bean burritos.... and sh1t! I could only finish 4.

mmmmmmmmm Taco Bell...I haven't even been yet this calendar year to be honest, I better get 'er going!

And btw, 4 tacos is pathetic :D.

ARN
03-13-2005, 07:05 AM
And you're body takes it OK...even on a cut? I just wonder if I should try to substitute a cheat day with maybe a cheat meal...I'm definitely not getting my protein and eating way too much fat, but it keeps me sane. BUT I can probably handle just a meal, but that would be a mother of a cheat meal.

Well, so far my body has been handling it ok. My waist size is still shrinking. I'm actually not 'cutting' per se, I'm just trying to get lean so I can start bulking. During my week I'm super strict with my diet plus I have work a physical labour job. Maybe that has something to do with it? I do warehouse work. Lots of lifting and walking around.

You can always try to have a cheat meal instead of a cheat day but I think that would be very hard to do. I know for me personally if I only limit myself to that one meal I'd over eat for that one meal. Which I think would be worse that several cheat meals throughout the day.

dissipate
03-13-2005, 08:03 AM
i've only just started having real cheat meals on sundays like pizza and potato chips instead of just a cinnamon bun or a bit of icecream. it's too early to tell how my body is reacting to it but when i wake up on monday i don't look bloated or heavy. on sundays i still keep my macronutrient ratios in mind and most importantly, i eat just enough.. not till i'm bursting or feel sick. if i feel that i've taken in too many calories to fill up the macronutrient ratios, i don't eat anymore. eating cheat food in moderation on cheat days helps a lot i think.

JSully
03-13-2005, 11:45 AM
mmmmmmmmm Taco Bell...I haven't even been yet this calendar year to be honest, I better get 'er going!

And btw, 4 tacos is pathetic :D.
:bow:

I know I can't hang w/you.

you fcukin drunk :alcoholic

lmao.

Why have a cheat meal? Make it a cheat day.

Look at Lyle McDonalds book "The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook". He specifies 2 cheat meals per week for ppl above 20%(or so) bf... with no cheat day, just 2 cheat meals. Then from 15-20% bodyfat, 2 cheat meals and a 5 hour carb load (EAT as many carbs (not from shakes or anything) as you can for 5 hours before you go to bed-should end up somewhere around 1000 cals over maintenance level...Then anybody under 15% bodyfat would stay on the diet for 11 days straight and have a 3 day carb load, UD2 style. If you don't know what that is then go buy the book because I'm not going to explain it.

If you want cheat meals, I suggest two per week, preferably dinner so that when you wake up the next morning you can go right back to dinner. If you want a cheat day.. then take the cheat day instead. Either way, 1 day isn't really going to do that much harm unless you eat horrible amounts of disgustingly tasty food that would nutritionally kill a rhinocerous. :D And even then, you'll burn off what you put on within 2 days. Just don't overdo your cheat day. As soon as you're full, stop eating and save the rest for later. Cheat days should NOT be a free-for-all, yet it's fine eating whatever you want. Just do it in moderation.

AdmiralDan
03-13-2005, 02:18 PM
i agree with jake. i have been experimenting with this idea somewhat and have seen good results. i know for some of you, this is weak but here is what one of my cheat days looked like a couple weeks back
Meal 1: oatmeal and protein powder, PB
Meal 2: chicken breast, bowl of fruity pebbles, cottage cheese, bowl of cocoa puffs, HUGE bowl of ice cream
Meal 3: chinese take out: steamed broccoli and chicken with rice and seasame sauce
Meal 4: Protein Bar
Meal 5: protein shake and PB
Snacks throughout the day: Bagel w/ bunch of nutella, choclate, more choclate, even more choclate(it was just after valentines day and my girlfriend and I had gotten a bunch of choclates sent to us at college so i decided to eat some of them, rather all of them)

now, i did somehting like this every sunday and ate around 2600 cals a day monday-saturday. my weight either went down or stayed the same for the week, and i was able to increase my strength over the couple month period i experimented with this. I may not have lost weight some weeks, but i looked leaner

spencerjrus
03-13-2005, 04:03 PM
Hey this is prolly a pretty dumb question, does anyone know of a calculator where I can find a pretty good estimate of my maintenance calories? I'm currently bulking at about 3800-4000 calories a day and 1.5x my bw in protein, but I'm worried I might be putting on fat too quickly. (at about 10% bf right now, up from 6% a month ago)

Built
03-13-2005, 04:14 PM
How about tracking your ACTUAL cals for a few days or a week? Then you'll KNOW.

Beavereater
03-14-2005, 03:45 AM
Hey this is prolly a pretty dumb question, does anyone know of a calculator where I can find a pretty good estimate of my maintenance calories? I'm currently bulking at about 3800-4000 calories a day and 1.5x my bw in protein, but I'm worried I might be putting on fat too quickly. (at about 10% bf right now, up from 6% a month ago)

Not sure if you can trust it that much, but here is a place with several different kinds of calculators...

http://www.muscletech.com/CALCULATORS/All_Calculators_Bodybuilding.shtml