PDA

View Full Version : Powerbars Protein Plus

heatwave345
03-12-2005, 03:43 PM
I usually have half of one of these after my workout (they're kind of expensive). I'm a college student so conveinience is key. Is it sufficient for my usual workouts usually consisting of of 20 mins cardio (HR>140) and 40 mins lifting? I workout about 5 days a week.

i'm male, 5-11, 146 lbs.

thanks

Vido
03-12-2005, 03:49 PM
sufficient? yes

optimal? probably not

heatwave345
03-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Can anyone suggest a better one? I'm a college kid, so i really don't have access to many ingrediates and kitchen appliances.

also i still have about 10 of those powerbars left (i bought in bulk) so i would like to finish them off somehow... by incorporating them somewhere in my diet... but where should it go?

thanks

Vido
03-12-2005, 04:31 PM
You don't want to eat bars was my point (although I didn't say it).

You're in college, so you're probably tight on cash. Bars are overpriced. In addition, lots of people use college as some type of excuse to not eat well. You can still go to a nearby grocery store and buy real food.

Collegekid
03-12-2005, 06:22 PM
just to sympathize with him, it's not exactly easy to cook brown rice and chicken breasts in a dorm room

AdmiralDan
03-12-2005, 06:42 PM
protein poweder. it is the only way i can get enough protein each day. if you search online, you can get it pretty cheap. i usually have a couple shakes a day

EDIT: i get optimum for around 25-30 cents a serving(i think), so it is rather cheap and the choclate tastes pretty good

Vido
03-12-2005, 08:53 PM
just to sympathize with him, it's not exactly easy to cook brown rice and chicken breasts in a dorm room

But it is easy to eat oats and cottage cheese.

My point is that eating at college is what you make of it. It's not impossible to eat well, regardless of how many people claim that to be the case.

darius19
03-13-2005, 06:51 AM
Eating cottege cheese and oatls 6 times a day wouldnt be healthy by any means vido...well it would but you wouldnt get all the nutrients necessary...and it would get boring after what, 2 days?

Im leaving off to college in a few months, i dont know how Im gonna handle it :\

AdmiralDan
03-13-2005, 07:03 AM
i agree with vido. i found it hard to start with, but now i have no trouble with it. here is what a typical day looks like for me:
Meal 1: oatmeal w/ protein powder, PB
Meal 2: Big bowl of cottage cheese with raisins and banana, broccoli, whole wheat bread
Meal 3: Protein Bar
Meal 4: Same as meal 2
Meal 5: Protein shake, PB

I can get the protein bars with meal credits i don't use throught the week, so they are essentially free. that is the only reason i eat them. this is living in the dorms, so eating well in college isn't all that hard. just sit down and figure out what you can do with what you have got

Holto
03-13-2005, 09:22 AM

Rice Cooker

George Foreman Grill

man up guys

JSully
03-13-2005, 01:37 PM
Maybe you should do a search function in the Journal Section....

check out Vido's Journal.

He was hitting 250+g protein on it and he was in college....

George Foreman grill is a good idea. Cottage cheese/pb/and oats are optimal if you don't have access to chicken and such. And there's always tuna!

Vido
03-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Eating cottege cheese and oatls 6 times a day wouldnt be healthy by any means vido...well it would but you wouldnt get all the nutrients necessary...and it would get boring after what, 2 days?

He listed 2 foods that would be difficult to eat; I matched it with 2 foods of my own. I didn't say those were the ONLY options.

Maybe you should do a search function in the Journal Section....

check out Vido's Journal.

He was hitting 250+g protein on it and he was in college....

...and that was on PSMF (so like 1200 calories total). Since then, I've been up at 400+g...it isn't as difficult as people make it out to be. I'll admit I've knocked it back now to about 250-300g, only so I can fit more healthy fats in. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm pb!!!

langjae
03-14-2005, 01:59 AM
I found college to be the EASIEST time to mold a solid diet and training regimine versus working 9-5 (or anything of that sort) and trying to stay dedicated.

Lifting is a lifestyle so take those 4 years and make your life revolve around the gym. You're in class a maximum at 3-4 hrs at a time with at least some breaks. If not, schedule your classes for at least an hour in between. During the breaks make a trip to the dining halls and EAT EAT EAT. I lived off cold cuts during college. I got sick of it real quick but if you want to gain big you have to learn to forcefeed. If you live off-campus, pack your lunch. Too much is not enough. For home, tuna will be your best friend. It's cheap and a can opener is the only appliance you will need. Use those credits for real food and pack it to bring to your room for more meals throughout the night when the halls are closed. Use the bars in addition to a meal and protein shake. Eat two sandwiches with a half pound of meat WITH the bar. And do this 5+ times a day. That's just some of the basics, but the point is you'll get sick of eating the same crap every day but if you buckle down and do it..college is the best time and you won't regret later on that you didn't spend the time wiser. I learned pretty late and now its a biotch to eat that much before a meeting or when I'm the run.

IMO, the only obstacle during college is resisting getting piss drunk every weekend and chasing the hoes. :thumbup:

Vido
03-14-2005, 02:12 AM
I found college to be the EASIEST time to mold a solid diet and training regimine versus working 9-5 (or anything of that sort) and trying to stay dedicated.

IMO, the only obstacle during college is resisting getting piss drunk every weekend and chasing the hoes. :thumbup:

I couldn't agree more on both accounts. You will NEVER have more free time than you do in college, unless perhaps you're either a) unemployed or b) own your business (and option b wouldn't even guarantee it).

The only thing I disagree with in that post is the reference to "getting piss drunk every weekend". What happened to weekdays? :alcoholic