PDA

View Full Version : Fiber intake

Beavereater
03-13-2005, 07:01 AM
I don't get enough fiber in my diet, so I take supplements. I've been taken 5 grams in the morning, 5grams in the afternoon and 10grams after dinner over about an hours time. Just wondering if that's OK...or if there's another better way to do it?

Not too sure how fiber works, and what is the best way of getting it into my system. Right now I buy some fiber powder stuff (It's in Japanese) and mix it with my water...I drink the 5grams over a 15 minutes period...and the 10grams over an hour or so...

spanky33
03-13-2005, 08:23 AM
there are two types of fiber. soluble, and insoluble.
soluble fiber: has been shown to have long term beneficial effects like lowering blood cholesterol and blood pressure. it also slows down digestion so you dont get hungry as fast.
insoluble fiber: makes u poo.
Good sources are usually whole wheat products, fruits, vegetables, and cereals.
If you dont want to eat carbs, it's harder to get fiber. But if you dont care about carbs, there are a lot of good sources of fiber that have high protein as well...
best example: beans.
Taking supplements is usually not recommended, but if it's your only option, it's better than taking nothing at all. The problem is that your body gets lazy (adapts) to the supplement, and if you stop, you might get hardcore constipation for a little while.
You can try eating ALL BRAN cereal if you want. that's a really high source of fiber, and you have it with milk...
hope this helps.
peace

spanky33
03-13-2005, 08:26 AM
btw, aim to eat between 20-35 grams of fiber a day.
if you eat more, it might interfere with mineral absorption (i.e. calcium, zinc, magnesium, iron, etc...)

Holto
03-13-2005, 09:26 AM
10 g's of supplemental fiber is lots

unless your diet is garbage

spanky33
03-13-2005, 10:29 AM
yea and he's taking about 20