PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with flax seed oil?

Bohizzle
03-14-2005, 10:38 AM
I've been lurking around wbb since the summer but have only become a member now and i used the search function but couldn't really find anything.

Somebody said that flax seed oil should be kept refridgerated because the omega fatty acids are most effective when kept in cold environments, so would that rule out cooking with flax seed oil? (particularly using it to make my scrambled eggs in the morning)

Thanks in advance
Andrew

TheGimp
03-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Do NOT cook with flax oil :)

It's very sensitive to heat, light and air which is why it should be stored in the fridge.

If you want it with your eggs you could drizzle it over them, but given that it doesn't taste great my preference is to take it with a protein shake, or you could just take it straight.

waynis
03-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Somebody said that flax seed oil should be kept refridgerated because the omega fatty acids are most effective when kept in cold environments, so would that rule out cooking with flax seed oil?

yes and yes.

Bohizzle
03-14-2005, 12:02 PM
ok thanks for the replies guys, will no longer cook with flax seed oil. :)

Andrew

Sidior
03-14-2005, 12:29 PM
haha bohizzle... sissy eh? then eat something!!

spencerjrus
03-14-2005, 05:21 PM
haha bohizzle... sissy eh? then eat something!!

you dont have to be skinny to be a sissy. ;)

Shao-LiN
03-14-2005, 08:45 PM
I've been lurking around wbb since the summer but have only become a member now and i used the search function but couldn't really find anything.

Somebody said that flax seed oil should be kept refridgerated because the omega fatty acids are most effective when kept in cold environments, so would that rule out cooking with flax seed oil? (particularly using it to make my scrambled eggs in the morning)

Thanks in advance
Andrew

Just pop it in your mouth and swallow. It doesn't taste all that great to begin with, so cooking with it is awkward.

spanky33
03-14-2005, 09:37 PM
i'm not sure i understand why you guys force feed yourselves oil? care to explain?
aren't dietary EFA's enough?

CarlP
03-14-2005, 09:43 PM
I'll stick with natural PB for my fats.

TheGimp
03-15-2005, 06:52 AM
aren't dietary EFA's enough?

No they're not. The ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 is important and most people get far too much omega 6 in their diet. Excellent sources of omega 3 EFAs like fish and flax oil help to balance this out.

I'll stick with natural PB for my fats.

PB is a classic example of a food high in omega 6.

spanky33
03-15-2005, 07:10 AM
i dont know. i dont think we've evolved to the point where we gotta choke down oil...

TheGimp
03-15-2005, 08:43 AM
If you don't like the answer, don't ask the question.

It is entirely a function of our modern diets.

The ideal ratio is 1:1 and most people today are consuming a ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 of between 20:1 and 50:1, thanks to an abundance of corn, soy, canola, safflower and sunflower oil, cereals, and meat from animals that have been reared on cereals.

(Information picked out of http://www.mercola.com/article/omega3.htm and http://www.healthyeatingclub.com/info/articles/fats-chol/balance-of-fats.htm)

iLUDEd
03-15-2005, 01:28 PM
have it in a salad, mum makes a mean tomato, onion & basil salad with olive oil, ive been meaning to get her to use flaxseed oil instead of olive oil (hoping there isnt too much of a taste difference).

Bohizzle
03-15-2005, 03:47 PM
iluded, that sounds pretty tasty, thanks for the tip.

Andrew

Shao-LiN
03-15-2005, 10:35 PM
i dont know. i dont think we've evolved to the point where we gotta choke down oil...

As an alternative, you can eat the foods that they extract the oil from if you want. I find it more efficient to just swallow a tablespoon of oil and be done with it...that's just me.

spanky33
03-16-2005, 12:08 AM
well i think the argument is that the ratio needs to be 1:1. why not just cut out some omega 6's instead of spooning omega 3's.
you only really need about a gram of each per day (whitney et al, 2004. "Understanding Nutrition)...i'm sure everyone eats waaay more than that.