PDA

View Full Version : Milk vs. Cottage Cheese

Atomical
03-14-2005, 05:17 PM
I've tried cottage cheese with my protein shakes before bed and I'd like to find an alternative. Drinking protein shakes used to be a pleasure. The key words are "used to be." Milk also has casein in it and I have room in my calorie intake for milk at the end of the day. Should I use milk instead? What I'm most worried about is waking up in the middle of the night hungy.

manowar669
03-14-2005, 06:41 PM
I blend cottage cheese with water, protein powder and sugar-free fat-free vanilla pudding mix, and ice cubes. Sometimes natty PB too. Blend it in a blender (I use a stick blender, and make it in a 32oz plastic mug, then no blender to clean). Tastes like ice cream. I eat it before bed.

Shao-LiN
03-14-2005, 07:42 PM
I've tried cottage cheese with my protein shakes before bed and I'd like to find an alternative. Drinking protein shakes used to be a pleasure. The key words are "used to be." Milk also has casein in it and I have room in my calorie intake for milk at the end of the day. Should I use milk instead? What I'm most worried about is waking up in the middle of the night hungy.

You actually wake up because you're hungry? Use milk if you would prefer. Throw some peanut butter or some fat source in there if you would like. You could even eat chicken if you want to.

Slim Schaedle
03-14-2005, 07:58 PM
If you wake up hungry then eat, then go back to bed. Just keep something quick and easy just in case.

Double D
03-14-2005, 09:13 PM
Why don't you try just eating cottage cheese before bed if you dont like it in you're protein shake. Or eat them seperately. If you don't like cottage cheese plain there have been millions of threads on here with recipes/solutions. Just to a search.

Its also a good idea to add a fat source to you're before bed meal. This will help you stay full longer. suggestions are nuts,natural peanut butter

Double D
03-14-2005, 09:14 PM
And i forot. Cottage cheese is really high in protein, way higher than milk, and will digest slower than a protein shake, making it an ideal pre bed meal