PDA

View Full Version : Noob cries help on diet

IZich
03-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Whats up all

Recently I've started just reading into this forum and learning about cutting (which i've never heard of before) in terms of dieting. (if i define cutting in the wrong way, someone plese correct me.)

Anyway, I would like you pros to analyze my diet and tell me what i should/should not eat. I'm a student at UCLA so my ability to get random, obscure foods off campus isn't very possible.
For an avg day, i'll eat 2 meals a day, both consisting of mainly the same thing.
Meal:
-Salad of leafy greens, mushrooms, corn, baby corn, beans, olives, and instead of dressing i put a dab of tuna fish/egg.
-2 hardboiled egg whites
-3 Grilled Chicken breasts
-Whole wheat bread sandwich of greens, lean turkey, tomatoes. no condiment
-Glasses of non-fat milk and water.
-1 apple and 1 orange

I'm 6'2" and weight approximately 220 lbs and approx. 19.5% bf.

As for lifting, I'm not new to it.. been lifting for about 4 years now since high school (but off and on) Now I've finally settled in, and lift mainly upper body about 2x a week, and run on the track about 2mi per run 3x a week. Thanks in advance for your critiques and input.
:newbie:

btw does anyone here go to UCLA? The new Wooden center is awesome.

SpecialK
03-14-2005, 08:37 PM
The food you are eating looks decent but you need to be eating more than twice a day. Six meals per day would be ideal.

Also keep track of your cals on www.fitday.com. You didn't post how many cals that is but you should keep track and make adjustments as necessary.

Finally I would throw some leg work into your lifting routine. Running is good exercise but it's not going to make your legs stronger. I know you are trying to cut but you should still work all major muscle groups.

Double D
03-14-2005, 09:09 PM
i agree, eating 5-7 meals a day is the way to go. This keeps a steady inflow of nutrients into you're body, plus it will speed up you'e metablolism as you will constantly be digesting.

Its also a great idea to be tracking your cals. Its vital so that you know how much you are taking in. If you don't count you havent really got a basis for making changes to increase your weight, or decrease your weight when cutting.

Built
03-14-2005, 09:17 PM
Yep. Good posts both.

Double D, where in Vancouver do you train?

Double D
03-14-2005, 09:35 PM
Yep. Good posts both.

I dont anymore. I moved to Victoria, but i used to train at the COOP on the UBC campus.

IZich
03-14-2005, 09:35 PM
The food you are eating looks decent but you need to be eating more than twice a day. Six meals per day would be ideal.

Also keep track of your cals on www.fitday.com. You didn't post how many cals that is but you should keep track and make adjustments as necessary.

Finally I would throw some leg work into your lifting routine. Running is good exercise but it's not going to make your legs stronger. I know you are trying to cut but you should still work all major muscle groups.

Thanks for the posts, they're really helpful.

So i checked out fitday.com and it says my daily caloric intake
is 3460 Calories 92g fat, 194g carb and 458g protein. If i split this into 5-7 meals, is that enough? Or by eating more, do you mean upping either the caloric intake or changing the makeup of my diet?

Also, since i live on campus, my meal plan doesnt allow me the freedom to eat more than 2 meals a day. however, I could definitely buy protein bars or something to eat a mini-meal throughout the day or something like that. Do any of you guys have any suggestions on how i can make do with what i have to work with?

Built
03-14-2005, 09:42 PM
So, are you losing weight on these cals, or maintaining?

The 5-7 meal thing means split up the cals you're eating now, not eat more of the same. You'd be as big as a house.

How about some protein shakes? You could toss a few baggies with a couple scoops each into your bag, and keep a shaker cup with you.

Double D
03-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the posts, they're really helpful.

So i checked out fitday.com and it says my daily caloric intake
is 3460 Calories 92g fat, 194g carb and 458g protein. If i split this into 5-7 meals, is that enough? Or by eating more, do you mean upping either the caloric intake or changing the makeup of my diet?

Also, since i live on campus, my meal plan doesnt allow me the freedom to eat more than 2 meals a day. however, I could definitely buy protein bars or something to eat a mini-meal throughout the day or something like that. Do any of you guys have any suggestions on how i can make do with what i have to work with?

Why dont you get some bagels or something else that will last that you can pack with you at school. Have a bagel and a protein shake in between meals.

I used to always take them to school with me. They are easy to carry.Also Built had a great idea saying take some protein in a bag and shaker and mix them up whenever. Not that hard, just add water.

IZich
03-14-2005, 09:55 PM
sorry in advance to being a total noob.. but i dont know exactly how to make a protein shake and what you mean by "putting it in a bag" and "mixing them up." if you feel this is too lame to explain, then please link me in the right direction. thanks.

Built
03-14-2005, 09:58 PM
You buy protein powder from the supp store. My personal preference is to get an artifically sweetened one, so I can have it with dextrose or not (I keep my dex for post workout).

Chocolate seems to be the least-bad tasting.

Get a shaker cup when you get it.

Measure out a serving into a baggie. Carry your shaker cup with you. When you need a "meal", get some water, dump the baggie into the shaker cup, fill it with water, and shake.

Have your shake, and eat a bagel.

Got it?

:)

IZich
03-14-2005, 10:02 PM
hehe.. roger :]

raniali
03-15-2005, 11:49 AM
the big question is : are you gaining/maintaining/dropping weight on your current calories??? i wouldn't necessarily add more food to a 3500 cal diet if you are trying to cut - but that varies for each individual's body.

crazedwombat
03-15-2005, 12:19 PM
this is off topic but I am wondering how you're 19% body fat at 6'2 220 with a max bench of 240 when I'm ~18% body fat, 6'3 243lbs and my bp is 245.

were you measured out right or not into the full body workout? Not a stab at you or anything I'm just curious

IZich
03-15-2005, 03:00 PM
i'm not sure what your question is.. is it regarding my "relatively high" BP, my bf or what?

btw no offense is taken, i'm curious to your question as well.
ps nice icon in your sig :P

Vido
03-15-2005, 03:58 PM
this is off topic but I am wondering how you're 19% body fat at 6'2 220 with a max bench of 240 when I'm ~18% body fat, 6'3 243lbs and my bp is 245.

I'm curious as to what you mean as well. You guys are about the same size (not exactly, but the difference is negligible) and you have approximately the same bench press.

Strength and size aren't even totally correlated anyway.

Vido
03-15-2005, 04:00 PM

Is this implying you're in this area too? Double D used to be my training partner until he graduated in December.

Built
03-15-2005, 04:02 PM
I am - I train downtown Vancouver.