PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition intake schedule

IZich
03-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Just wondering whats the general guidelines for when to eat what?
I have done some sort of research on nutrition and have found my caloric intake levels along with pfc (2100, 250g, 50g, 170g), but i'm not so sure as to how to break it down during the day. Currently I work out in the early afternoon, anywhere from 12pm to 3pm. Suggestions?

Built
03-15-2005, 04:33 PM
My .02: protein in roughly equal mini-meals, fats higher in the AM, carbs higher after you lift.

Vido
03-15-2005, 07:21 PM
I'll say something slightly different. Protein in roughly equal mini-meals, carbs centered around (before, during, right after) your workout, fat higher at night.

Built
03-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Or that. That's basically what I do. I get slammed a lot when I suggest pre-workout carbs, but I like this arrangement.

Isaac Wilkins
03-15-2005, 07:27 PM
I'm all about the pre-workout carbs.

Most of the GLUT-4 receptors (the magical "post-workout" window that everyone seems all excited about) have already receded back into the cell by the time your post-workout nutrition gets into your blood stream which makes this far less important (although still huge for other reasons) than everybody crows.

PRE-workout nutrition is of the utmost importance because that's what's primed to actually take advantage of this phenomenon.

If your pre-workout nutrition is in order, your post-workout nutrition is less important. If your pre-workout nutrition sucks, then hopefully your post-workout intake is great so that it's better than nothing.

*gets off soapbox*

Built
03-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Thank you. That actually explains a lot to me about why I've had so much trouble making post-workout carbs work.

Got any references? All the ones I have suggest strictly post-workout for carbs.

Maki Riddington
03-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Good post Borris.

Vido
03-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Good post Borris.

:withstupi I've recently been focusing more on pre-workout nutrition (at least in terms of carbs) than post, and I'm liking not only the results, but the energy I'm having in the gym.

Isaac Wilkins
03-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Thank you. That actually explains a lot to me about why I've had so much trouble making post-workout carbs work.

Got any references? All the ones I have suggest strictly post-workout for carbs.

Hundreds, but what are you looking for? ;)

I just had to do a lit review on GLUT-4 manifestation for class.

This topic and that of recovery through nutrition is quite fascinating to me. Probably it will be heavily involved in my Ph.D research

Built
03-15-2005, 07:39 PM
I'll take it to PM.

[/End threadjack. ]

Double D
03-15-2005, 09:10 PM
So you guys are saying that its more important to eat a lot of carbs pre workout and not as many post. Lets say i weigh 200ibs how many grams would I want at which times.

This concept is new to me. I obv knew that pre workout was important, but everything i have ever read says the post workout meal should be the largest.

Isaac Wilkins
03-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Not necessarily. What we're saying is that pre-workout is more important than post-workout.

As to the size of the meals it would depend on what the rest of your day looks like and your overall diet.

Holto
03-16-2005, 09:46 AM
I'll take it to PM.

[/End threadjack. ]

post the good parts though...

galileo
03-16-2005, 10:03 AM
While we're on the subject, perhaps we should make a new thread.

*magic of Intarweb* http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1031189