PDA

View Full Version : lemon juice

AB2004
03-15-2005, 06:23 PM
one of my housemates is doing a course at uni involving diet and nutrition, she was telling me that if you add about 3 teaspoons of pure lemon juice to your softdrink the lemon will burn some calories.

do you think this is true or a load of rubbish

Built
03-15-2005, 06:30 PM
Lemon juice and vinegar are both apparently able to increase insulin sensitivity: http://www.ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=2&a=6

IZich
03-15-2005, 06:31 PM
lol where would the calories be taken from? the lemon juice would go straight into the stomach, where the acid would be neutralized and broken down by different agents in the stomach acid like any normal substance.. dunno how it would burn extra calories.
unless calories are burned while in the esophagus...

Isaac Wilkins
03-15-2005, 06:46 PM
Correct. There's a lot of discussion about vinegar and lemon juice as partitioning agents. This could help one not get AS fat from drinking the crap soda. The Avant forums have some classic threads on it.

They aren't thermogenic substances, though, so there should be no additional calorie burn.

Built
03-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Isn't it great how these things get mixed up? :)

Vido
03-15-2005, 07:53 PM
Correct. There's a lot of discussion about vinegar and lemon juice as partitioning agents. This could help one not get AS fat from drinking the crap soda.

Yeah, I'm not positive it's doing anything, but I've been having a tbsp of vinegar before most meals containing carbs (as long as fat is low in the meal), and I always flavour my brown rice with lemon juice anyway. Can't really hurt.

Built
03-15-2005, 07:55 PM
That's kinda what I'm thinking on the lemon/vinegar front. The stuff makes other stuff taste good anyway. And the extra bit of vitamin C isn't a BAD thing.

Isaac Wilkins
03-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I find I stay leaner (well, who am I kidding... less fat) when I do a tablespoon of vinegar and one of lemon juice. Sometimes two tablespoons of vinegar and one of lemon juice. Not that I think that is a huge deal, but I kind of like apple cider vinegar, so I take two.

I haven't really looked into the body acid issues associated with that, but I know others have mentioned it. I find that after a few days of the vinegar/lemon juice treatment I'll tend to lose endurance and I'll feel achy, almost like mild DOMS or lactate build-up.

Before going to bed now I use some baking soda (Arm & Hammer if you're nasty) at double the stomach antacid dose.

No more problems.

This is one of my favorite easy recompositioning tricks.

Vido
03-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Before going to bed now I use some baking soda (Arm & Hammer if you're nasty) at double the stomach antacid dose.

What's the baking soda for? Neutralize all that acid in the stomach?

Built
03-15-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm thinking lactic acid control maybe, but I don't think it would do much ingested like this.

If it's to control overall pH, why not eat spinach? It's a basic vegetable, and unlike baking soda, has other nutritional benefits.

Isaac Wilkins
03-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Extra bicarbonate to base out the whole system.

Whether or not that really makes it through the small intestine is something else to be argued and I've not looked into it. It was suggested on another forum, so I tried it.

Isaac Wilkins
03-15-2005, 08:30 PM
I'm thinking lactic acid control maybe, but I don't think it would do much ingested like this.

If it's to control overall pH, why not eat spinach? It's a basic vegetable, and unlike baking soda, has other nutritional benefits.

Exactly, although it wouldn't be lactic acid in the case we're talking about.

I eat about three cups of spinach most days anyway, that's all I want.

PowerManDL
03-16-2005, 06:27 AM
Think more along the lines of systemic acidosis.

Isaac Wilkins
03-16-2005, 07:09 AM
Think more along the lines of systemic acidosis.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Be a dear and post some links on that if you have research time today, I'll be out straight.

;)

galileo
03-16-2005, 07:30 AM
I concur with most of the things that Borris has said. Particularly, I must say that the soreness accrued post-workout does seem to increase a bit once the vinegar/lemon juice trick is employed.

Borris, have you been using straight baking soda or taking an antacid supplement?

Isaac Wilkins
03-16-2005, 07:35 AM
I concur with most of the things that Borris has said. Particularly, I must say that the soreness accrued post-workout does seem to increase a bit once the vinegar/lemon juice trick is employed.

Borris, have you been using straight baking soda or taking an antacid supplement?

Straight baking soda, mixed up in a little water.

galileo
03-16-2005, 07:39 AM
Straight baking soda, mixed up in a little water.

Way hardcore. ;)

PowerManDL
03-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Supposedly Alka-Seltzer™ can play the same role.

Built
03-16-2005, 09:13 AM
Exactly, although it wouldn't be lactic acid in the case we're talking about.

I eat about three cups of spinach most days anyway, that's all I want.

Whoa, Popeye, you must have some killer pipes on ya', bud!

;)

How much baking soda, by the way?

Isaac Wilkins
03-16-2005, 12:30 PM
The antacid dose is 1/8 tsp (600mg) in water every few hours as necessary. I'm a big guy and only taking one dose, so I double it.

Manveet
03-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Meh, I always squeeze a little fresh lemon in my water. Makes it a bit more palatable:D

IZich
03-17-2005, 02:08 AM
Meh, I always squeeze a little fresh lemon in my water. Makes it a bit more palatable:D
like in restaurants 8)