PDA

View Full Version : My diet, maybe need to clean it up?

fixationdarknes
03-15-2005, 06:38 PM
*5:30am- Bowl of oatmeal (w/ 1% milk) with a banana and 1-2 spoons of peanut butter, Flaxseed oil, Fish Oil, Orange Juice
*8:00am- Peanuts, chex mix
*9:15am- Whole wheat bagel w/ cream cheese, carton of 1% chocolate milk
*11:15am- Post workout Fruit and Grain bar (carbs), and whey protein drink
*12:30pm- Turkey subway
*2:30pm- Protein bar
*4:00pm- Cold cereal w/ 1% milk (Total or Frosted Mini-Wheats)
*6:30pm- Dinner, usually consists of some type of meat (either chicken, beef, or fish) with rice or noodles, and some vegetables.
*7:30pm- Beef Jerkey
*8:30pm- Fruit (apple/banana/orange)
*9:30pm- Lowfat Yogurt and Nonfat Cottage Cheese

Btw, I drink some water with every meal/snack. I'm trying to slow/clean bulk...but not sure if the diet is proper. Can anyone give any ideas?...Should I clean up the diet a little bit?

I'm 15 years old, 5'6", 150 lbs. (gained about 5 lbs. in past 2 months).

Built
03-15-2005, 06:41 PM
You might want to reconsider the Fruit and Grain bar (sugar and trans fats, I think) and the amount of white sugar you're consuming (frosted cereal, chocolate milk, orange juice - switch to eating oranges so you get the fiber and the rest of the orange)

Are you holding too much fat, or are you okay?

fixationdarknes
03-15-2005, 06:43 PM
You might want to reconsider the Fruit and Grain bar (sugar and trans fats, I think) and the amount of white sugar you're consuming (frosted cereal, chocolate milk, orange juice - switch to eating oranges so you get the fiber and the rest of the orange)

Are you holding too much fat, or are you okay?

I don't know, I'm about 15% BF I think (I've got a tummy, hehe). So, don't drink orange juice?...or should I just eliminate the frosted cereal and chocolate milk and switch to regular milk and keep drinking OJ? Also, do you think I should not use cream cheese anymore with my bagel because cream cheese has lots of fat?

Also, what is a good source of carbs post-workout (instead of fruit/grain bar)?

Also, do you think that given my diet I still need refeed days?...I think I'm getting enough fat or whatever on my regular days, so I would say no, but I wanna hear what you guys have to say.

Built
03-15-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm not a fan of fruit juice in general - it's waaaay too easy to knock back a lot of sugar with juice. Eat the fruit. Fruit's good for you.

Switch to regular milk or a whey shake - some of the A.S. chocolate ones aren't bad, and you'll get more protein than you will than the milk. You could do cottage cheese with a chopped up apple instead of the lowfat yogurt, same thing - more protein, less sugar. Plus casein is good at night for bulking anyway.

The "perfect" post workout carb is dextrose, in a whey shake, followed by a solid food meal of low fat carbs and protein (chicken and brown rice).

I'm not seeing a lot of green vegetables, young man... tuttut

You DO need those.

For post workout, how about a chocolate whey shake with dextrose and creatine, followed by a bagel with lowfat creamcheese? Could that work?

Built
03-15-2005, 06:52 PM
They don't have 1% milk in Japan?

fixationdarknes
03-15-2005, 07:15 PM
I'm not a fan of fruit juice in general - it's waaaay too easy to knock back a lot of sugar with juice. Eat the fruit. Fruit's good for you.

Switch to regular milk or a whey shake - some of the A.S. chocolate ones aren't bad, and you'll get more protein than you will than the milk. You could do cottage cheese with a chopped up apple instead of the lowfat yogurt, same thing - more protein, less sugar. Plus casein is good at night for bulking anyway.

The "perfect" post workout carb is dextrose, in a whey shake, followed by a solid food meal of low fat carbs and protein (chicken and brown rice).

I'm not seeing a lot of green vegetables, young man... tuttut

You DO need those.

For post workout, how about a chocolate whey shake with dextrose and creatine, followed by a bagel with lowfat creamcheese? Could that work?

Well, my yogurt has 3g of sugar and I eat that right before my cottage cheese. So, 3g shouldn't be too bad, right?...

Can I get dextrose at local stores or is it something I have to order online?

I DO eat green vegetables, check my meal at 6:30pm in my first post...lol. Isn't it enough to just eat veggies during dinner, or should I snack on those during the day too? Also, I forgot to add in that I snack on carrots during the day, but that's not really "green," so...yeah. Also, my turkey subway at 12:30pm has lettuce and stuff.

Btw, I don't take creatine. So, what about having the dextrose/whey shake immediately post-workout, and then in one hour eating a turkey subway? Would that work?

fixationdarknes
03-15-2005, 07:18 PM
They don't have 1% milk in Japan?

What?... :scratch:

Vido
03-15-2005, 07:19 PM
I don't really see much protein in your first 3 meals.

Built
03-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Whey with dextrose, and a turkey subway should work, if there's enough turkey in it.

The yogurt is fine. So are the carrots. :)

Eat veggies at every meal if you can.

Dextrose - I buy my dextrose and maltodextrin (basically the same, but not as sweet - I mix 'em half and half) at one of those places that sell winemaking supplies, or even at the grocery store in the wine-kit area. Cheap cheap cheap. Oh, the malto is sold as a beer thickener, called "Brew Body". (I always think "Beer Gut"...)

And I'd consider trying creatine - some don't respond, but some do. I love it.

Built
03-15-2005, 07:21 PM
What?... :scratch:
The original post is gone. He was asking if it was exactly one percent.

Built
03-15-2005, 07:22 PM

Nor do I. Could you eat some eggs for breakkie?

fixationdarknes
03-15-2005, 07:41 PM

First meal: 25g protein
Second meal: 12-15g protein
Third meal: 23g protein

Should I get more?

-edit-

Sure, I can add a couple of eggs to my breakfast.

Also, I would like to learn more about Creatine before I try it. Also, I'm not sure if I have the $ for it.

smalls
03-15-2005, 07:45 PM

Should I get more?

-edit-

Sure, I can add a couple of eggs to my breakfast.

Also, I would like to learn more about Creatine before I try it. Also, I'm not sure if I have the $ for it.

No need for creatine at this point, and yes I would add more protein to your first three meals and your last one, at least.

Vido
03-15-2005, 07:47 PM

Sounds decent, I just don't like the sources. I don't really consider any of those foods protein sources, and as such don't even really count any of that protein towards my daily goal.

Built
03-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Vido doesn't respond to creatine. I do. It's a personal thing. You don't NEED it. It's just a possible enhancement. The diet is the bigger deal for sure. If you're budgeting, spend the money on food.

I get in five extra large/jumbo egg whites and one yolk for breakfast. 27g protein, 8g of fat. I just hard boil 'em and peel out most of the yolks. Maybe have this with your oatmeal?

fixationdarknes
03-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Sounds decent, I just don't like the sources. I don't really consider any of those foods protein sources, and as such don't even really count any of that protein towards my daily goal.

Please explain? :(

Vido doesn't respond to creatine. I do. It's a personal thing. You don't NEED it. It's just a possible enhancement. The diet is the bigger deal for sure. If you're budgeting, spend the money on food.

I get in five extra large/jumbo egg whites and one yolk for breakfast. 27g protein, 8g of fat. I just hard boil 'em and peel out most of the yolks. Maybe have this with your oatmeal?

Should I also peel out the yolks and throw them away?...Is the extra fat/cholesterol from the yolks really that bad? I'd feel bad if I wasted food like that hehe. My mom always taught me to never waste food. ;)

Also, is there a universal food that I can just add to any meal to add more protein? Besides the eggs, what else can I do?...maybe canned tuna?

Vido
03-15-2005, 08:36 PM
Please explain? :(

My way is not the way you have to do it, or even really the "right" way. I just always think protein should be underestimated rather than overestimated. I, therefore, only count the protein from things that I consider to be good sources of protein, ie. eggs, whey, cottage cheese, meat, poultry, fish

Should I also peel out the yolks and throw them away?...Is the extra fat/cholesterol from the yolks really that bad? I'd feel bad if I wasted food like that hehe. My mom always taught me to never waste food. ;)

I say definitely eat the yolks...IF it fits within your daily calorie goals.

fixationdarknes
03-15-2005, 09:57 PM
My way is not the way you have to do it, or even really the "right" way. I just always think protein should be underestimated rather than overestimated. I, therefore, only count the protein from things that I consider to be good sources of protein, ie. eggs, whey, cottage cheese, meat, poultry, fish

But what does a food with protein require to fit into your category of good sources of proteins?

I say definitely eat the yolks...IF it fits within your daily calorie goals.

I guess since I'm on a bulk (slow), I should eat them?...I was considering speeding up the bulk and upping the calories. But I just don't want to put on too much fat. :(

Vido
03-15-2005, 10:39 PM
But what does a food with protein require to fit into your category of good sources of proteins?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your question, but the "requirement" is simply that it be on that list I mentioned. I'm sure I could think of a few other sources as well, but the point is basically animal and dairy products.

I guess since I'm on a bulk (slow), I should eat them?...I was considering speeding up the bulk and upping the calories. But I just don't want to put on too much fat. :(

Whole eggs are in the neighbourhood of 70-90 calories each, so they can quickly build up your calorie count. I don't know how many calories you want to increase your current diet by, only you do.

fixationdarknes
03-15-2005, 10:52 PM
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your question, but the "requirement" is simply that it be on that list I mentioned. I'm sure I could think of a few other sources as well, but the point is basically animal and dairy products.

So, is it just your opinion that animal/dairy sources of protein are better than other sources? Or is it fact that they are more effective sources?

Whole eggs are in the neighbourhood of 70-90 calories each, so they can quickly build up your calorie count. I don't know how many calories you want to increase your current diet by, only you do.

I think I'll add 2 or 3 eggs and see how things work out.

Built
03-15-2005, 10:58 PM
Nothing is wrong with the yolks - dietary cholesterol won't hurt you like we may have been lead to believe. The reason I toss most of the yolks is based on calories - I'm trying to get more protein in without going too high on the cals. I still get in one yolk, sometimes two if I can afford the calories.

Animal protein is good, animal fat can actually help increase testosterone in the body, which is a very good thing. Just watch the cals.

:)

fixationdarknes
03-15-2005, 11:06 PM
Alright, thanks for the advice guys.

So, besides the stuff we talked about, my diet is decent? So, just keep working at it?

Built
03-15-2005, 11:13 PM
I've seen much, much worse.

Keep at it. We're all here to trash-talk your diet and give you conflicting advise anytime you want it.

;)

j/k - you're always going to hear somewhat different points of view, but for the most part, you'll hear differing versions of the truth. Pick the ones that seem the most appropriate to your needs, goals, and body.

fixationdarknes
03-16-2005, 08:29 AM
Alright, thanks.