PDA

View Full Version : Lower bf%

Draven_Fenix
03-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Wasup everybody,
Havn't posted for a while cuz I been busy but I am having some problems. I have gained about 10-15 lbs. or so since my last post. The problem is that I am not loosing body fat. I did cardio for a while and there was not change and now I am just doing a slow bulk. I want to cut off some weight since spring is coming up and I'm trying to figure out a few things. I think the reason I am not loosing weight is because I am not eating enough. I eat like 2500 cals or so a day and I think I burn more than that with work, lifting, and my other activities. My quesiton is about how many calories should I eat with all the activity I do. From the time I get up to the time I go to bed it's like constant moving and activity and a lot of days I am tired at about 3:00 in the afternoon or so. I wanna loose fat and keep my energy level up and I am tryin to figure out how to do this. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Jabberwocky
03-15-2005, 08:10 PM
I am confused are you bulking or cutting?

Draven_Fenix
03-15-2005, 08:15 PM
As of now I am bulking but not in a sense of eating like mad. I am lifting and eating enough to satisfy myself but I want to start cutting and keep my muscle while loosing fat. I am just confused about how many calories I need to take in. Some people say 2500 and some have said up to 5000 and I just can't find a happy medium where I loose fat. I have tried cuts before and failed so I just quit and kept on lifting the way I was before I tried cutting.

Vido
03-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Well, for starters you want to eat less cals than you are while bulking. Keeping everything else constant, you should see "some" results. If they're not adequate you clearly aren't in a large enough deficit, and therefore need to add in some cardio or reduce calories further.

Draven_Fenix
03-15-2005, 08:25 PM
But if I take my calories down any further than they are now I won't be able to function. I am dead tired every day as it is and I am like starving all the time and I eat a good amount. I mean to give you an idea of my daily routine I wake up, go to school, lift @ 8:00AM in weight training class. Go through the rest of school day till 12:00 when I get off for work release. I come home, eat, go to work from 12:30 to 5:00 - 6:00. I work in construction. From there I go and get food and sometimes I'll take a pbj(no sugar jelly and natural pb - awesome stuff!). I then go from there to either Salsa class or karate. If it's Salsa it's not bad but if I go to karate I get my ass kicked and I'm worked to death. I then go home by 9:30 PM and go to bed. Repeat 5x a week. On weekends I lay around and try to recover.

Vido
03-15-2005, 08:32 PM
If you're bulking currently, you shouldn't be on the brink of being "unable to function".

Draven_Fenix
03-15-2005, 08:46 PM
That's kinda why I am doing this. I am lost in the calorie dept. I don't know how much I need to eat b/c I try to increase cals and I gain fat.

Vido
03-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Maybe you're not eating the right foods, or the right macro breakdown. Read the "What a Bodybuilder Eats" sticky at the top of this forum for some solid food choices.

Double D
03-15-2005, 08:57 PM
What do you weigh right now?? Maybe then we can see how many cals you need. How many days a week do you workout/do cardio??

And what does you're diet look like. I agree with Vido you may want to look into the accuracy of your couning. Theres no way you should be starving yet not losing weight. If you are starving all the time you should be in a caloric defecit and therefore losing weight.

IZich
03-16-2005, 12:22 AM
Also, post your diet. We'll be able to help you better if we know the specific breakdown of the % of proteins, carbs and fats that you consume (as well as when you eat them).

Draven_Fenix
03-16-2005, 07:44 PM
I currently weigh 175 @ btw 20-22% bf. I workout 5 times a week doing max-ot routine that I have modified slightly. Cardio is pretty much everyday also b/c I work in construction. On my fitday activites for yesterday it said I burtn about 1080 calories at work, 286 while working out and soforth. My diet usually consists of this:

7:00 AM
Slimfast bar
Carnation Instant breakfast
(maybe some fruit if I have the time)

9:45 AM
2 zone prefect energy type bars

12:00 AM
Either a PBJ w/ sugarless jelly and natural pb on whole weat bread or
3 scrambled eggs 2 pieces of whole weat toast and sugarless jelly
a glass or two of milk

3:30 - 4:00
PBJ on some days, some day nothing but a red bull (sugarless)

6:00 PM
usually a 12 inch chicken terriaki from subway(about 700 cals and 12 g of fat)

9:00 PM
Either chicken and pasta(not by choice, my parents make it and I'm too tired to make anything else
OR
Meatloaf and mashed potatos
Fish, rice, and vegies,
Something of that nature - usually something fast and easy so I can go the hell to sleep

That's about it. I don't feel that this is enough for the amount of activity I am doing because I am still always tired. I usually get 7-8 hours of sleep. I don't know why I am so tired all the time.

spencerjrus
03-16-2005, 11:53 PM
I workout 5 times a week I work in construction. I don't know why I am so tired all the time.

Job in construction + w/o 5 days a week would probably make anyone tired.

IZich
03-17-2005, 12:55 AM
I currently weigh 175 @ btw 20-22% bf. I workout 5 times a week doing max-ot routine that I have modified slightly. Cardio is pretty much everyday also b/c I work in construction. On my fitday activites for yesterday it said I burtn about 1080 calories at work, 286 while working out and soforth. My diet usually consists of this:

7:00 AM
Slimfast bar
Carnation Instant breakfast
(maybe some fruit if I have the time)

9:45 AM
2 zone prefect energy type bars

12:00 AM
Either a PBJ w/ sugarless jelly and natural pb on whole weat bread or
3 scrambled eggs 2 pieces of whole weat toast and sugarless jelly
a glass or two of milk

3:30 - 4:00
PBJ on some days, some day nothing but a red bull (sugarless)

6:00 PM
usually a 12 inch chicken terriaki from subway(about 700 cals and 12 g of fat)

9:00 PM
Either chicken and pasta(not by choice, my parents make it and I'm too tired to make anything else
OR
Meatloaf and mashed potatos
Fish, rice, and vegies,
Something of that nature - usually something fast and easy so I can go the hell to sleep

That's about it. I don't feel that this is enough for the amount of activity I am doing because I am still always tired. I usually get 7-8 hours of sleep. I don't know why I am so tired all the time.

i assume you meant 12PM, not 12AM. Also yeah i agree with spencer. its probably the workload you have. Construction + workout is definitely a lot on your plate.

Draven_Fenix
03-17-2005, 10:25 AM
i assume you meant 12PM, not 12AM. Also yeah i agree with spencer. its probably the workload you have. Construction + workout is definitely a lot on your plate.

I definately realize that I do a LOT of activity everyday but couldn't this be compensated for by eating more. If i need more energy can't I get the enrgy from food? I suppose I could tone my workouts down, but if I did that then I would not make the gains I am making now. I don't particularly want to slow down. I wanna do my workouts and still have enough energy to do my work. I have read a book from a nutritionist that said that there is no such thing as overtraining just undereating. I realize this is not true fully, but isn't it possible to a certain extent to just eat more to compensate. Having said that,the question of course is how much more. That is my basic question.

IZich
03-17-2005, 11:03 AM
I definately realize that I do a LOT of activity everyday but couldn't this be compensated for by eating more. If i need more energy can't I get the enrgy from food? I suppose I could tone my workouts down, but if I did that then I would not make the gains I am making now. I don't particularly want to slow down. I wanna do my workouts and still have enough energy to do my work. I have read a book from a nutritionist that said that there is no such thing as overtraining just undereating. I realize this is not true fully, but isn't it possible to a certain extent to just eat more to compensate. Having said that,the question of course is how much more. That is my basic question.
If you are dead set on eating more, then just try it. Eat more in increments of 500 cals a day every week, and see if you notice any results. In the end, everything said on this forum is merely advice, and its up to you to test it out for yourself.

Vido
03-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Job in construction + w/o 5 days a week would probably make anyone tired.

Whether or not you had a perfect diet or not would be irrelevant. You simply shouldn't be working out so often if you have a job in construction. I'd suggest 2-3 times/week.

Ellocodetroit
03-17-2005, 07:54 PM
how about not eating all that bread and limit yourself to 2 slices a day? instead of scrambled eggs how about boiled eggs(lose the cooking oil). Eat some tuna 1 small can usually packs 30g of protein. When doing cardio use the elliptical machine I tend to burn alot of cals on it but I'm not as tired as oppose to when I run and burn the same amount. When I'm on the ellipitical I'm on it for an hour and burn 1000 cals according to the counter. You have to watch your fat, protein, cal intake. Its hard but you have to sit down and look at why you failed in the past to cut and learn from your mistakes.