PDA

View Full Version : The Workout Window - Pre, During, and Post-Workout Nutrition

galileo
03-16-2005, 10:03 AM
Inspired by the thread here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=61796), I feel this would be a good time to post some information about a realistic protocol for workout-centered nutrition.

Here is something to get us started:

I'm all about the pre-workout carbs.

Most of the GLUT-4 receptors (the magical "post-workout" window that everyone seems all excited about) have already receded back into the cell by the time your post-workout nutrition gets into your blood stream which makes this far less important (although still huge for other reasons) than everybody crows.

PRE-workout nutrition is of the utmost importance because that's what's primed to actually take advantage of this phenomenon.

If your pre-workout nutrition is in order, your post-workout nutrition is less important. If your pre-workout nutrition sucks, then hopefully your post-workout intake is great so that it's better than nothing.

Paul Stagg
03-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Just from personal experience, no science at all:

I'm making out just as well or better downing a decent iso meal about an hour before training, then downing 20oz of powerade in the first, say, third of my workout, then eating an iso meal (give or take) about an hour or less) after training compared to when I would focus on a meal immediatly post workout.

I figure I'd probably be a little better off downing 20-40g of protein immediately post workout, but not so much that I've actually bothered.

galileo
03-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Eating prior to training in that fashion would definitely yield decent results. My best efforts were actually made with a blend of the two - a decent carb/protein (oatmeal/turkey) meal 1.5-2 hours prior to my workout, then before the workout a small amount of dextrose/whey (2:1), then post-workout a mixture of dextrose/whey (2:1 or 1:1).

Built
03-16-2005, 10:52 AM
This is a really great thread to start. Thank you galileo.

Borris, what would you suggest eating and when on workout days? IE when would the pre-lifting carb meal come in, what would I eat for the rest of the day if I usually train between meals 4 and 5 (of 6 daily)?

And would this suggestion be different for cutting than for bulking?

ryuage
03-16-2005, 10:54 AM
although I take in more carbs post workout I still get a good amount pre workout in the form of malto/whey then double what I usually take pre workout for post workout.

PowerManDL
03-16-2005, 11:07 AM
What Borris said is pretty much what I do.

I get a carb/protein shake sometime before I lift, don't usually care for anything during, then come home and eat some solid food. Occasionally I'll make one big-ass shake, drink half before, half after, then eat...but usually it's the first scenario.

His rationale about the lag between digestion and uptake into the bloodstream was my exact reasoning.

Built
03-16-2005, 11:11 AM
I KNEW there was a lag messing things up.

Okay, cool.

So, different for bulking than cutting, PMDL? Or the same?

galileo
03-16-2005, 11:14 AM
For cutting, it depends on the style diet that I'm employing at the time - but I typically just work the cals into my daily totals, assuming I'm not doing a low-carb diet.

PowerManDL
03-16-2005, 11:14 AM
I'd change the content, perhaps, but not the basic idea.

Isaac Wilkins
03-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Well, what usually happens is that I train after a couple of meals during the day. If I were to train first thing in the morning things would change a little bit.

I'll do one of two things:

If I'm taking in my pre-workout nutrition half an hour or less before training, it's usually two scoops of whey and 25-50g of dextrose, and the same thing right after training. As in I mix a big shake, drink half, and have the other half sitting in the locker waiting for me.

If I have about an hour before I lift I do something like 1 cup of oats and 1 scoop of whey with 16 oz of skim milk before and 2 scoops of whey and 25g of dextrose afterwards. Sometimes I eat a banana with my pre-workout meal if it's a high-carb day.

If I'm strictly cutting I'll do the option number 2 for pre-workout and use whey and oats or sweet potato again for post-workout. I usually do pretty low carbs when I cut so I like to get the most nutrition out of them.

Shark
03-16-2005, 11:20 AM
I have always done basically the same thing when it comes to pre/post workout nutrition and have had good results.

Before i lift I eat 4 scrambled eggs with olive oil (a bit of salt and pepper), one english muffin, and an 8oz glass of odwalla 100% orange juice. Protein, simple carbs, natural sugar, healthy fats. Regardless of wether or not I take a post workout shake I always feel great while I lift or do cardio, I have plenty of energy, and I have thus far yielded excellent results. When I bulk i ususally have a shake afterwards and a meal a little later (usually a turkey and mayo sandwich on whole wheat). If I am cutting I usually wait a bit and eat a sandwich.

Isaac Wilkins
03-16-2005, 11:27 AM
Chris brings up the best point as far as I'm concerned:

With proper use of pre-workout nutrition, people can use a lot more real food rather than shakes. Don't get me wrong, I like shakes. However, the benefits of micronutrients in real food can't be denied. The more real food one gets, the better off one is going to be.

Shakes are good, but I like them in addition to food.

smalls
03-16-2005, 11:31 AM
I have been using a 700 cals wieghtgainer shake with 3 cups of skim milk prior. Nothing during and a 700 calorie mix of whey, malto, and dextrose directly after training. Then solid food 1.5 hours later. For me it's just the best way to get in lots of calories around training.

PowerManDL
03-16-2005, 11:42 AM
Chris brings up the best point as far as I'm concerned:

With proper use of pre-workout nutrition, people can use a lot more real food rather than shakes. Don't get me wrong, I like shakes. However, the benefits of micronutrients in real food can't be denied. The more real food one gets, the better off one is going to be.

Shakes are good, but I like them in addition to food.

Definitely a big bonus.

Regardless of whatever other benefits it might have, I just feel better when I'm getting whole foods in.

Shark
03-16-2005, 11:56 AM
I always choose real food over a shake. Not that shakes aren't great but real food is the shiznit.

IZich
03-16-2005, 12:35 PM
what are your guys' opinions on nutrient intake schedules on off days? Do you eat the same amount of pfc, at identically positioned times of the day as a workout day?

Built
03-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Okay, rip my diet apart. This is how today will work out, as planned out and entered into fitday.

M1: 5 hard boiled egg whites with one yolk, tiny pat of butter, salt
M2: cup cottage cheese, half an apple, level tablespoon natty PB
M3: romaine, homemade dressing (olive oil, vinegar, spices), half avocado, 4 oz chicken breast
M4: 4oz chicken breast, other half avocado, broccoli, small pat of butter.

Afternoon snack: Other half apple, level tablespoon of natty PB

2 hours later: workout (legs tonight)

M5: whey shake with malto and dextrose (40g protein, 40g dex/malto), 5g creatine.
(Im considering doing half before, half after I work out)

M6: steak, broccoli

Supps include 10g fish oil daily, which I never count in my macronutrient count since I take em every day and theyre not optional. I trickle em in through the day.

Cals for today.

Calories Eaten Today
Source__grams__cals_%total_
Total:__________2034
Fat:_____88_____788__39%_
__Sat:___22_____196__10%_
__Poly:__13_____113___6%_
__Mono:_35_____318__16%_
Carbs:__100_____320__16%_
__Fiber:_20________0___0%_
Protein:_228______913__45%

This is below maintenance cals of 2100-2200 per day. Im insulin resistant (I was on Metformin, Im not just SAYING Im IR) and cant do low fat. Im carb/calorie cycling, no extra or starchy carbs on non-lifting days (unless I do HIIT).

My lower carb/calorie days go down to about 40-60g carb, a little lower protein, and about 1800-1900 calories.

I sometimes do oatmeal/eggwhite/cottage cheese waffles instead of the dextrose/whey shake (this has roughly 40g each protein and carb) Im not sure which way to go here, so Im asking.

Id prefer to do the waffles. If I do, should I have 'em with my afternoon snack (the apple and PB)? Or perhaps half in meal 4, half after I train?

(I posted up the waffle recipe (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showpost.php?p=1019564&postcount=4), by the way. Theyre awesome!)

_8_Ball
03-16-2005, 12:55 PM
As far as pre/post workout meals go this is my normal schedule...

3:20pm - leave work

4:15pm - Get home and take 1 scoop ON whey + banana or oatmeal or WW bread with jam.

4:45pm - take animal pak

5:15pm - Start workout

6:00-6:15pm - 2 scoop whey + 1 scoop dextrose (40p / 35c)

7:30-7:45pm - food usually low GI carbs and mean (chicken beef )

8:45-9:00pm - Anabolic Milk from ON - Pre-Bed Casein shake...

I've included the pre-bed shake for the last 2-3 weeks and I've actually seen a pretty good gains... (and I'm cutting... go figure... :-) )

_8_Ball
03-16-2005, 12:57 PM
Built - Are you on a cut?

Built
03-16-2005, 01:22 PM
Yes. Not a hard cut (not a big fan of that "starving" feeling), but yes.

Vido
03-16-2005, 01:43 PM
what are your guys' opinions on nutrient intake schedules on off days? Do you eat the same amount of pfc, at identically positioned times of the day as a workout day?

I consume very few carbs on off days. My body just doesn't respond well to carbs, and aside from a small amount to keep the brain operating efficiently I really see no use for them.

Protein stays constant, the carbs are replaced with more fat.

Vido
03-16-2005, 01:46 PM
My workout nutrition intake for what it's worth (just started doing this fairly recently, but I'm liking it a lot):

2 hours before: 15 egg whites + 3 cups brown rice (if I have less time before training, say 1-1.5 hours, I knock off a few whites and a 1 cup of rice)

Immediately before: 1 scoop whey

During: 66g carbs worth of Gatorade

Immediately after: 2 scoops whey

An hour or so after: haven't got this one completely worked out yet...another protein + carb meal (whole food) would probably be best, but like I said above my body doesn't respond overly well to carbs, so sometimes I just go right back to a protein + fat meal here.

Built
03-16-2005, 01:53 PM
Okay, I'll eat the apple and PB earlier.

Hmmm... so, a waffle an hour before as a snack (20g protein, 20g slow carb), cottage cheese and dextrose right after (40g protein, 40g carb) (sounds weird, but it's amazing with lime juice, in the blender, tastes like cheesecake AND the lime juice helps the carbs go in), and the other waffle when I get home, with steak and buttered broccoli a few hours after that might just do the trick.

Thoughts?

Shark
03-16-2005, 02:13 PM
Built, its hard to say. You've got a pretty good lay out there and honestly I think trial and error will get you where you want to be. Diet is such an individual thing. I have found personally that after my morning meal (posted above) I lift and have a sandwich for lunch. Then I pretty much stop eating carbs for the rest of the day. Doesn't matter if i'm lifting or not. My body loves to eat carbs (e.g. taste), but it just can't process them and I end up getting fat or stalling on weight loss.

But I digress. As far as your diet is concerned I would put olive oil in your meal one to replace the butter. It took me a long time to do this as I love butter with eggs but I just can't negate the benefits of olive oil in ones diet. Other than that your food choices look ace!

beastin v6
03-16-2005, 02:20 PM
What would make a good During Workout meal? How does 10-15 grams of BCAA mixed in a gallon of water looks like?

Pre: Whey Protein Shake
During: 10-15g BCAA

Hows that? Some one shed some insight on during workout meal.

Built
03-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks Chris.

The olive oil is already in my salad at lunch. I don't always do the butter pat in the AM, but I really miss it if it isn't there.

I've had some nice pointers here.

Much obliged.

:)

EdgarMex
03-16-2005, 02:34 PM
I lift basically first thing in the morning (it takes me 30-40 minutes to prep my meals for the day and workout right after that), so I don't have time for a full meal. What I've been doing is drink half a shake (60g gatorade powder, 35g whey, 4 cups of water) while I'm cooking and sip the other half during my workout. My next meal is about 45 minutes later: 1 cup of oats and 1 scoop of whey. It has worked rather well at providing plenty of energy for my workout and to start my day.

I only have some carbs in meal 3 (chicken breast and brown rice) and protein-fat meals for the rest of the day.

EDIT: I forgot to add this:

On the days I don't lift I do cardio (30-40 minutes on the elliptical), but I don't have the shake as in lifting days. Would it be a good idea to add the same shake (or a smaller one) before cardio? I'm starting a bulk BTW.

IZich
03-16-2005, 07:30 PM
I consume very few carbs on off days. My body just doesn't respond well to carbs, and aside from a small amount to keep the brain operating efficiently I really see no use for them.

Protein stays constant, the carbs are replaced with more fat.
Thanks!

Manveet
03-16-2005, 08:49 PM
What would make a good During Workout meal? How does 10-15 grams of BCAA mixed in a gallon of water looks like?

Pre: Whey Protein Shake
During: 10-15g BCAA

Hows that? Some one shed some insight on during workout meal.

Throw some carbs pre and/or during workout.

Personally, I have noticed absolutely no difference in performance when I consume a shake prior to training. For a long stretch of time I was just eating mostly whole food pre and post workout, with maybe a whey shake mixed in milk as well.

Currently I have been following the recommended protocol of pre/post workout nutrition, this is largely due to the fact that I am doing UD2. I find that such a protocol works well with me when I'm coming off low carbs. In any other scenario, it really doesn't make a huge difference at all.

galileo
03-17-2005, 05:39 AM
Yesterday I went with :
Mixed whole grain bars (50g carbs) 60 minutes before
8oz of gatorade (14g carbs) mixed with 1 scoop of chocolate whey 15 minutes before
5oz oatmeal, 1 scoop whey post-workout

I had a great workout and was full of energy. I have a limited space to play around in with the diet I'm following, but as I can, I plan on experimenting a lot more with my protocols.

Isaac Wilkins
03-17-2005, 06:29 AM
Well, Built, I find your "level tablespoon" of peanut butter offensive. When I eat peanut butter I can't stop with less than four tablespoons. Of course, that's why I don't allow myself to buy peanut butter anymore.

:cry:

I would recommend splitting the shake into pre/post-wo meals.

Vido's plan is pretty good, although I tend to use smaller amounts of carbs. I also drink pretty much water during my workout, so I do pre-workout carbs and post-workout carbs instead.

The whole food meal an hour or so after training is important. This is one of your most effient processing times of the day, so you might as well pound that nutrition in there.

greekboy80
03-17-2005, 08:20 AM
how about a powerbar 30 min prior to workout. post - 40 grams gatorade powder/1 scoop Nitrean?

Sound Good?

galileo
03-17-2005, 08:45 AM
I don't think gatorade is the best choice for post-workout. I also don't feel the powerbar has ample protein for pre-workout.

Built
03-17-2005, 09:31 AM
Borris, this is what I did with the shake yesterday. Had a potato, steak, and broccoli afterward.

And I'll hide my head in shame about the level tablespoon of PB....

Severed Ties
03-17-2005, 03:57 PM
As Gal mentioned my post-workout nutrition changes based on what style of diet I'm using. Either cutting or bulking I prefer chicken and white rice post workout and just adjust the the portion size based on my goal. When bulking I add a crab/protein shake immediately after I finish my workout, usually Surge.

As far as pre-workout nutrition I always had best results with OJ + BCAA's before I start lifting.

I've also started using used leucine in my pre and post workout shakes.

Credit for this goes to Nandi

Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2004 Nov 23;

The combined ingestion of protein and free leucine with carbohydrate increases post-exercise muscle protein synthesis in vivo in male subjects.

Koopman R, Wagenmakers AJ, Manders RJ, Zorenc AH, Senden JM, Gorselink M, Keizer HA, van Loon LJ.

Department of Human Biology, Nutrition Research Institute Maastricht (NUTRIM Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands.

The present study was designed to determine post-exercise muscle protein synthesis and whole-body protein balance following the combined ingestion of carbohydrate with or without protein and/or free leucine. Eight male subjects were randomly assigned to 3 trials in which they consumed drinks containing either carbohydrate (CHO), carbohydrate and protein (CHO+PRO), or carbohydrate, protein and free leucine (CHO+PRO+leu) following 45 min of resistance exercise. A primed, continuous infusion of L-[ring-(13)C6]phenylalanine was applied, with blood samples and muscle biopsies collected to assess fractional synthetic rate (FSR) in the m. vastus lateralis as well as whole-body protein turnover during 6 h of post-exercise recovery. Plasma insulin response was higher in the CHO+PRO+leu compared to the CHO and CHO+PRO trials (+240+/-19% and +77+/-11%, respectively, P<0.05). Whole-body protein breakdown rates were lower, and whole-body protein synthesis rates were higher in the CHO+PRO and CHO+PRO+leu trials compared to the CHO trial (P<0.05). Addition of leucine in the CHO+PRO+leu trial resulted in a lower protein oxidation rate compared to the CHO+PRO trial. Protein balance was negative during recovery in the CHO trial, but positive in the CHO+PRO and CHO+PRO+leu trials. In the CHO+PRO+leu trial, whole-body net protein balance was significantly greater compared to values observed in the CHO+PRO and CHO trials (P<0.05). Mixed muscle FSR, measured over a 6h period of post-exercise recovery, was significantly greater in the CHO+PRO+leu trial compared to the CHO trial (0.095+/-0.006 %(.)h(-1) vs. 0.061+/-0.008 %(.)h(-1), respectively; P<0.05), with intermediate values observed in the CHO+PRO trial (0.0820 +/- 0.0104 %(.)h(-1)). We conclude that the co-ingestion of protein and leucine stimulates muscle protein synthesis and optimizes whole-body protein balance when compared to the intake of carbohydrate only.

ST

IZich
03-17-2005, 06:03 PM
what if you work out at night time? Should you still follow the same pre/post workout diet?

Vido
03-17-2005, 07:17 PM
Vido's plan is pretty good, although I tend to use smaller amounts of carbs.

Keep in mind those are almost the only carbs I'm eating all day, on top of the fact that I'm barely eating any carbs at all on off days.

Isaac Wilkins
03-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Good point. I usually like to take in a good charge of carbs at breakfast regardless of when I lift, assuming it's not a non-carb day.

dissipate
03-17-2005, 09:25 PM
i like this thread. deserves a sticky!

Manveet
03-17-2005, 11:30 PM
what if you work out at night time? Should you still follow the same pre/post workout diet?

Sure. But I would also add in another meal on top of that.

Some people may even opt for oats+cottage cheese for postworkout before bed. It really won't make a huge difference in the long run. What's going to matter is how your diet looks overall.

greekboy80
03-18-2005, 06:14 AM
I don't think gatorade is the best choice for post-workout. I also don't feel the powerbar has ample protein for pre-workout.

why not the gatorade?

i understand about the protein being not enough before. but im cool with that, i have a sh*t ton all day as solid meals leading up to that. i run basicly low carb throughout the day, then lots o carbs around the workout.

galileo
03-22-2005, 06:22 AM
I think there are better carb options. Unless you're converting out of ketosis, the fructose in gatorade isn't all that helpful and per serving, gatorade doesn't have that many carbs. I'd venture to say a glucose polymer blend, as discussed earlier, would be far superior.

I've used gatorade during a workout, but I typically follow up with something more targeted post-workout.

greekboy80
03-23-2005, 07:44 AM
gatorade powder is 3/4ths glucose and 1/4 fructose. Berardi already discussed during one of his interviews that gatorade "powder", not the premade drink, is good for post workout nutrition.

CarlP
03-23-2005, 11:30 AM
Is the powder really that much different than the premade drink? I had always ASSumed that they were the same.

Anthony
03-23-2005, 12:23 PM
The difference is that you control the concentration.

ryuage
03-23-2005, 01:10 PM
no actually the ingredients differ if you look at the back....

ryuage
03-23-2005, 01:11 PM
gatorade powder is 3/4ths glucose and 1/4 fructose. Berardi already discussed during one of his interviews that gatorade "powder", not the premade drink, is good for post workout nutrition.

dang berardi said it, must be true huh :bow:

guess i better start seperating carbs and fats now

greekboy80
03-23-2005, 03:10 PM
yeah the dif. is the ingredients.

Ryuage - you dissin' Berardi? J/J (but, how do you really feel about that?) (i tried that link on your posts, i cant get in. whats it say?)

VasDeferens
03-28-2005, 01:59 PM
yeah the dif. is the ingredients.

I dont have access to the powder at this moment and search is not helping either. can you tell the significant differences between the liquid and the powder here?

greekboy80
03-30-2005, 07:18 AM
I dont have access to the powder at this moment and search is not helping either. can you tell the significant differences between the liquid and the powder here?

i know the liquid has more fructose than the powder. the powder has Sucrose and dextrose. thats all.

Sucrose = 1/2 fructose, 1/2 Glucose
Dextrose = 100% Glucose

Powder = 75% glucose, 25% Fructose.

you can also control the concentration. to get what you can have with the powder youd have to drink 2 bottles or more.

VasDeferens
03-30-2005, 09:42 PM
good to know.

thanks,

Isaac Wilkins
03-30-2005, 10:09 PM
i know the liquid has more fructose than the powder. the powder has Sucrose and dextrose. thats all.

Sucrose = 1/2 fructose, 1/2 Glucose
Dextrose = 100% Glucose

Powder = 75% glucose, 25% Fructose.

you can also control the concentration. to get what you can have with the powder youd have to drink 2 bottles or more.

That would be assuming that there is an equal amount of both sucrose and dextrose in the powder. There very well may be, I haven't looked in the ingredients.

greekboy80
03-31-2005, 07:20 AM
check em out

Jordanbcool
07-13-2006, 02:11 PM
2 hours before workouts I usually have some sort of complex carbs (recently its been a large bowl of cereal, not sugary stuff either) with 2 cups 1% milk. Then 10 minutes before my workout I drink a large glass (2 cups) of 1% milk then as I'm walking into my gym I'm drinking an AMP energy drink.

Post workout is 6 raw whole eggs, 2 tsp. peanut butter, 2 cups 1% milk, and 2 scoops opticen.

mmm goood. Its what I always have. Havent had any problems with it.

Fat Man
07-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Wow, First time Ive read Built ask a question.

Does someone mind explaining the difference between a "Hard Cut" and a regular cut? Do you loose more fat/muscle one way?

Keith
07-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Lol she is human you know... I think :scratch:

I believe what she meant by not a "hard" cut was not being as strict with lowering the calories so much. Could be wrong though.

djreef
07-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Hard cut is strict and concentrated - usually confined to a specific time horizon - like 3 weeks, or 6 weeks. The cut Built was talking about is more gradual, and is more of a recomposition, than a strict cut.

DJ

Tree1
11-20-2007, 06:19 AM
i've heard of people eating high sugary snacks just before they workout, is this a good idea?
For your muscles to work at their optimum level shouldn't you eat a meal 2-3ish hours before workout i think i read?
if you eat too close to workout your stomach uses energy digesting the food?
along with 5-6 meals daily (every three hours) to maintain a constant energy level

Time+Patience
05-30-2009, 09:51 PM
I was following protocol and I came across this thread in one of the stickied threads. This thread has great information, and is worth a read for anyone, new to working out or older. I usually just ate, with no questions asked, as I tried to just make sure I ate enough to ensure weight gain and at times not eat enough to ensure weight loss. I see a big difference in how I did things, with a little bit of knowledge on dieting, and the difference with having more knowledge and what it could possibly do for my dieting.

I plan on TOTALLY-COMPLETELY-UTTERLY altering my diet scheme.

I'm going to take all of the information I've been reading in a few of the stickied threads and put it to use. I need to get some before pictures taken. I've already lost 10 pounds in a bout a month so far, but I'm sure a solid amount was water weight.

For whoever is still here, thanks for the good info.

twm
06-05-2009, 04:02 AM
how would you all handle the pre post workout window when waking at 5:30 and working out by 6?

Holto
06-05-2009, 10:11 AM
how would you all handle the pre post workout window when waking at 5:30 and working out by 6?

I get off work at 5:30 (hungry), at the gym by 6:10. I drink 80 grams of carbs and 25 grams of whey starting around 5:45. I do this every week.

I adopted this protocol after waking up on saturdays and doing the exact same thing on an empty stomach and having it work really well.

The carbs I'm using now are some weird corn derived thing and seem to be a bit slower than malto. You may want to consider Waxy Maise...

PostWorkout:

Solid food would be my next move. I'd normally come home to two pieces of whole grain toast smothered in butter and peanut butter and copious amounts of milk. If you're going with another shake, you'd be well served with solid food soon after.

Mr. Mustard
06-05-2009, 10:55 AM
^ I think he was referring to the mornings. I'm curious too.

Holto
06-05-2009, 01:06 PM
^ I think he was referring to the mornings. I'm curious too.

As per my second sentence, I developed this protocol after using it with great success on saturday mornings.

Mr. Mustard
06-05-2009, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=Holto;2153243]I get off work at 5:30 (hungry), at the gym by 6:10. I drink 80 grams of carbs and 25 grams of whey starting around 5:45. I do this every week.

I adopted this protocol after waking up on saturdays and doing the exact same thing on an empty stomach and having it work really well.

QUOTE]

So you get up and drink 80g of carbs and 25g of whey then hit the gym? I should try it. Your source of carbs is dextrose?

twm
06-05-2009, 02:36 PM
I get off work at 5:30 (hungry), at the gym by 6:10. I drink 80 grams of carbs and 25 grams of whey starting around 5:45. I do this every week.

The carbs I'm using now are some weird corn derived thing and seem to be a bit slower than malto. You may want to consider Waxy Maise...

PostWorkout:

Solid food would be my next move. I'd normally come home to two pieces of whole grain toast smothered in butter and peanut butter and copious amounts of milk. If you're going with another shake, you'd be well served with solid food soon after.

thanks man. i've been experimenting with something very similar.. I'll modify it and give this a go for a few months.

Holto
06-05-2009, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=Holto;2153243]I get off work at 5:30 (hungry), at the gym by 6:10. I drink 80 grams of carbs and 25 grams of whey starting around 5:45. I do this every week.

QUOTE]

So you get up and drink 80g of carbs and 25g of whey then hit the gym? I should try it. Your source of carbs is dextrose?

On paper it's pretty much dex but no, it's not dex, I'll check the label and post but it hits me a bit slower than malto. I think it's a dex polymer.

Honestly, when I was doing this with 200mg of Caffeine and 30mg of Synephrine, I was crushing workouts.