PDA

View Full Version : brown rice in microwave VS brown rice on stove

intensity
03-16-2005, 10:21 AM
Is there any nutritional difference between the two?

It usually takes me about 45 mins to cook on the stove, and the bag/box of rice says 10 minutes in the microwave on high. The only reason I ask is because I'm increasing calories and wanted to add more brown rice during the day, and it would obviously be much more convenient if I could do it in 10 minutes rather than 45.

emjlr3
03-16-2005, 10:26 AM
id think not, either way ur cooking them in water, id doubt anything would go anywhere

galileo
03-16-2005, 10:32 AM
The "minute" style rice is likely processed to a degree, which may cause the loss of some nutrients. I guess it depends on how precise you need to be.

ryuage
03-16-2005, 10:55 AM
only difference with the "minute" style rice is that it is precooked hence it cooks faster.

[[[----]]]
03-16-2005, 10:59 AM
Yeah, the uncle bens minute rice is what i eat.

intensity
03-16-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm not actually eating minute rice. It's just regular long grain Carolina brown rice that lists stove and microwave cooking instructions on the back. The microwave instructions say 10 minutes.

Not sure if any of that means anything, but I just wanted to clarify that the rice I'm asking about doesn't have the word "minute" or "instant" in it's name.

Jabberwocky
03-16-2005, 11:54 AM
Get a rice cooker bowl thing that goes in your microwave. It's like a steamer for your microwave, and it's very bad ass.

thajeepster
03-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Get a rice cooker bowl thing that goes in your microwave. It's like a steamer for your microwave, and it's very bad ass.

I use the same thing and cook brown basmati in it, you have to cook it a little longer, maybe 15 mins or so for about 2 cups (raw) rice, but it works well, and its a hell of a lot cheaper than some of those rice cookers.

waynis
03-16-2005, 06:59 PM
Don't worry about it. USe the microwave.

Double D
03-16-2005, 08:37 PM
I use the stove and its a pain in the ass. It takes a long time, and you have to watch it. I always used to leave the room and it would burn. i think i am imagining this but someone told me once that eating too much microwaved food is bad cuz of the radiation. HAHA, is this bull****???

waynis
03-16-2005, 08:42 PM
i think i am imagining this but someone told me once that eating too much microwaved food is bad cuz of the radiation. HAHA, is this bull****???

yeah it's pretty much bull. It can change something about protein molecules but there's no real danger in that. I just listened into a convo my doc was having with a patient. He said there was a study done on it and he bought the book that was written from the study. he came to a conclusion that it wouldn't make him not buy a microwave. So he went out and bought one.

Collegekid
03-16-2005, 08:48 PM
The minute rice is higher GI because it's pre-cooked to make it easier to heat in the microwave.

Vitalize
03-17-2005, 06:25 AM
The ONLY way to eat rice and retain all the goodness is to import a Japanese rice cooker.

thajeepster
03-17-2005, 09:43 AM
The ONLY way to eat rice and retain all the goodness is to import a Japanese rice cooker.

I really want one of those fuzzy logic ones... but they are so damn expensive... can you reccomend a good one... maybe around 3-5 cups?

Owen
03-17-2005, 10:38 AM
I like to cook rice on the stove. While thats going on I prep and cook my stirfry; everything gets done at the same time. I let the food set for a couple of minutes while I clean up. :-)
I would like to find a good alternative for brown rice, it gets old some times.