PDA

View Full Version : Too much cardio = no point?

Jabberwocky
03-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Ok, because I have no idea with this type of thing.

How much cardio is necessary while cutting?

What is better say, 3 days of cardio a week, or 6 days a week?

I often see when people ask for a advice while cutting people only recommend 3-4 days of cardio a week, and I dont understand the reasoning behind this.

Too much cardio can be detrimental to your weight loss, or is just a matter of how much time you can spend in the gym?

So I guess my question is, is more better, and if so why? if not why?

Built
03-16-2005, 06:48 PM
"Too much" varies from person to person, and depends on many things, but if you do "too much" (for you) you can risk muscle catabolism and suppressed immune function. I used to get sick a lot back in my running days, and last summer I rode my bike too much and catabolized my quads, which I am only now STARTING to get back.

Most folks need SOME cardio for cutting, but it's mostly diet.

accuFLEX
03-16-2005, 07:29 PM
I used to do at least 40min of cardio per day, 7 days a week. Then I asked myself, why? So i cut it down a lot and im still losing fat, but my diet is much better than is was imo

Jabberwocky
03-16-2005, 08:17 PM
when cutting you shouldnt need more then say three days of cardio? Does too much cardio make you lose muscle mass, I mean this all really confuses me lol.

Manveet
03-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Depends.

More will not always be better. For instance, the more quickly you create a large caloric deficit, the greater the chance for muscle loss. It's best to create a large caloric deficit over time.

On the other hand, some individuals like to eat more calories on a diet, and try to create most of their deficit through exercise. In this instance, you would need to do more cardio in order to burn more calories.

Vido
03-16-2005, 09:19 PM
More will not always be better. For instance, the more quickly you create a large caloric deficit, the greater the chance for muscle loss.

:withstupi

On the other hand, some individuals like to eat more calories on a diet, and try to create most of their deficit through exercise.

like me :)

dissipate
03-17-2005, 09:19 PM
just recently, i added in 30 mins cardio on all non-lifting days to give my body a kick. i was doing only cardio 3 times a week 45 mins each time previously, and for the past month i've been doing 30 mins cardio everyday.

so far i've been losing fat faster while gaining muscle so i'm going to continue doing it. it could be because i only started eating clean, measuring and counting my calories last june. i started lifting about 15-16 months ago.

Paul Stagg
03-18-2005, 07:47 AM
Ok, because I have no idea with this type of thing.

** That's why you ask the questions, yes?

How much cardio is necessary while cutting?

** Necessary? None. Beneficial? some. Optimal? Depends.

What is better say, 3 days of cardio a week, or 6 days a week?

** Depends on the person, their training routines, diet, goals, etc.

I often see when people ask for a advice while cutting people only recommend 3-4 days of cardio a week, and I dont understand the reasoning behind this.

** That's the same amount of cardio some of us reccomend when not cutting, too.

Too much cardio can be detrimental to your weight loss, or is just a matter of how much time you can spend in the gym?

** Again, depends on the person. Simply put, diet is FAR more important than cardio when working on body recomposition. There are way too many factors involved in training to have a cut and dry answer to the cardio question, although some general guidelines are a good place to start.

So I guess my question is, is more better, and if so why? if not why?

** It depends.

Jabberwocky
03-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Ok, thanks all think I got it cleared up.

My diet is clean, and I still lose atleast a pound a week, I was just hoping I could blame my lackluster amount of weight loss weekly on excess cardio.

Paul Stagg
03-18-2005, 03:12 PM
I find it works best to blame Democrats.

Losing a pound a week is good.

neartaigh
03-18-2005, 03:20 PM
I find it works best to blame Democrats.

:ninja: