PDA

View Full Version : Blood tests for thyroid function

wannabeshreaded
03-19-2005, 10:15 AM
I have a question about the blood test to measure my metabolic activity/thyroid. I've been lifting hard 3 times a week and doin cardio 3-4 times a week while dieting, low carb, high pro, healthy fats for the past few months, and in the past 3 weeks I've started taking eca. I haven't been loosing much at all tho and I was told i should probably have my thyroid checked out.

Sorry for my ignorance, but my question is about the blood test, what all will this pick up? I really don't know what a normal blood test intails. If I'm doing it specifically for tyroid function, will it pick up other things as a normal blood test would? ie, marajuana, if I've smoked in the past month will this appear in this specific test? I'm 17 and my parents could access the test so I'm a bit paranoid.

I didn't know what forum to post this on but I figured maybe you very informed people could help me out! thanks

Shao-LiN
03-19-2005, 10:19 AM
They are testing for hormones, not drugs.

Geeper
03-19-2005, 02:32 PM
It will only pick up the things your doctor wants you checked for, with thyroid it should be 3 things, TSH, T4 and total T3.
Get the test done! Make sure your Dr is up to date on the new reference ranges of normal for these three tests as well as they just changed this year.
I have a thyroid disorder myself so if you have any specific questions I might be able to help.

JSully
03-19-2005, 04:10 PM
don't mean to hijack the thread...

but with a blood test can they figure out your resting BMR (base metabolic rate)?

That'd be uber sweet if they could!

Built
03-19-2005, 04:16 PM
No. :(

JSully
03-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Bah! Fcukers!

That would make things so much easier to figure out maintenance cals and so forth. UGH!

I'm such a fatass!

*utterly frustrated*

LadyLifter
03-19-2005, 05:13 PM
get the blood test done...it should only pick up whatever is on the 'script and you should be able to look at that as you take it to wherever you get your blood drawn...both of my parents have had their thyroids removed due to two different reasons and I'm in the processes of getting mine checked...good luck

shansen008
03-20-2005, 11:40 AM
removed? Are you sure? damn.

LadyLifter
03-20-2005, 01:42 PM
my dad had to drink some radiactive iodine to have that eat his away and my mom had surgery less than two years ago for her...yes removed...I'm very sure

wannabeshreaded
03-20-2005, 04:17 PM
thanks for the info all

I'm going to get it done tuesday, hopefully i will find out whats going on.

I've recently gotten a trainer because i was so frustrated with my results and according to him and what I've researched, for how hard I've been training and my diet...I really should be losing more fat, especially at my age

Geeper
03-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Take note of what your TSH test comes back as..... before this year the standard was .5 to 5.0 for normal, and many Dr's still think this is the normal range although the standard has been changed to .5 to 3. If you come back at 3.5 or 4 or even 5 mention the new standards and be prepared for a fight. (most Dr's like to think they know everything)