PDA

View Full Version : how much milk is to much milk?

ryan9
03-20-2005, 01:40 PM
heyy guys I go through milk like crazy but im wondering if any thing bad can come from this? I drink like a bag or milk a day usually.. 1 Litre and its 2%. Its got alot of protien which I know is good but is this much milk bad for me? Thanks... Ryan

smalls
03-20-2005, 02:25 PM
I drink almost 1.5 gallons of skim a day, I'm still alive. I would suggest getting it from 1% of skim and getting your fat from better sources but it's really not that big a deal.

GMCtrk
03-20-2005, 02:29 PM
I drink almost 1.5 gallons of skim a day, I'm still alive. I would suggest getting it from 1% of skim and getting your fat from better sources but it's really not that big a deal.

You lucky bastard...if I drink any more than 1 glass at a time I **** my pants :cry:

ryan9
03-20-2005, 02:42 PM
haha that sucks

ryan9
03-20-2005, 02:43 PM
ye u think all the fat im getting from 2% is bad? I would switch to skim but I heard it tastes differnt

AzBboy
03-20-2005, 03:20 PM
also consider how high in sugar milk is. i drink strictly soy milk, much less cals from fat and sugars, and only 1 gram of protein behind milk. the carbs in it are 75% healthy carbs (fiber) which i can say the exact opposite for milk carbs.

Anthony
03-20-2005, 03:23 PM
I drink a gallon of whole milk a day. :cool: I wouldn't worry about the amount you are drinking.

Trent_Steel
03-20-2005, 03:59 PM
4 pints a day minimum for me.

smalls
03-20-2005, 04:16 PM
also consider how high in sugar milk is. i drink strictly soy milk, much less cals from fat and sugars, and only 1 gram of protein behind milk. the carbs in it are 75% healthy carbs (fiber) which i can say the exact opposite for milk carbs.

Please explain how "milk carbs" are the exact opposite of "healthy carbs"

You lucky bastard...if I drink any more than 1 glass at a time I **** my pants :cry:

That sucks bro. I quit drinking milk for about 2 months once and when I went back to it I had severe problems digesting it. I obviously got over that pretty quick though.

ryan9
03-20-2005, 05:09 PM
how differnt does soy milk taste compared to whole milk??

[[[----]]]
03-20-2005, 08:43 PM
I sip on milk like water man.

Max-Mex
03-20-2005, 08:43 PM

Man that is impressive! If I didn't gain weight so easily I'd be chugging it down like that!

AzBboy
03-20-2005, 08:49 PM
smalls, I am cutting so I avoid sugar at all costs. If my carb has more sugar than fiber, i consider it trash, thats just me tho. and ryan, soy milk tastes EXCELLENT, although it doesnt taste very similar to white milk.

smalls
03-20-2005, 10:28 PM
I agree, when cutting you may have to get more picky with carb sources. But overall milk is the **** and shouldnt be dismissed only because it lacks fiber.

Rex
03-21-2005, 06:59 AM
The amount of saturated fat in a gallon of whole milk is not trivial. And with so much of the population predisposed to heart disease....

Anthony
03-21-2005, 07:22 AM
I did some quick research and it seems the "connection" between saturated fat and heart disease is very controversial ... in fact, some doctors argue that 50% of our fat calories should be from saturated fats.

Thunderwulf
03-21-2005, 08:32 AM
I only go through a 1/2 gallon of skim a week.

Some soy milks taste good, but I don't like the studies that show it raising estrogen levels. So I cut that out.

spencerjrus
03-21-2005, 11:53 AM
I drink a gallon of whole milk a day. :cool: I wouldn't worry about the amount you are drinking.

I've been doing this for almost a month now and I'm loving it, get to drink lots of tasty milk and its a super easy way to supplement calories by over 1000.

Shaolin Temple
03-21-2005, 11:56 AM

Is the protein in soy milk better quality than regular milk? i get the impression that that is false.

Big Bas
03-21-2005, 12:13 PM
can someone tell me the benfits of drinking soo much milk?

ryan9
03-21-2005, 01:49 PM
I guess i'll try some 1% and some soy milk and see how it tastes

Sebi
03-21-2005, 02:04 PM
can someone tell me the benfits of drinking soo much milk?
Easy enough. I drink 3 to 4 liters a day, and my body seems to be happy about it.

It's inexpensive.
It has protein.
It has calories.
It tastes good.
You can drink it with coffee. Mmmmmmmmmm....
It can be stored for several months.

Mission
03-21-2005, 03:53 PM
I have atleast half a gallon.

ryan9
03-21-2005, 03:55 PM
i tried the skim milk and it looks watery almost and has a after taste im not that to fond of. I think im just going to stick to 2% hopefully the fat in it wont affect me to much.

zer06ame
03-21-2005, 05:56 PM
i go through 2-3 gallons every 5 days...it just depends how much i've got in my fridge
i'm pissed though, i opened a new gallon when i got home from school because when i left this morning there was only like a drop left in the one i used and i figured i was the last one to drink any (i'm like the only person that drinks it in my house anyway, my dad's lactose intolerant, my mom just doesn't drink it, my little brother only has it w/ cereal and my older brother is at school) so i opened it coming into the house but someone already brought a new one in and opened it...but didn't drink any. what the hell is that. who opens a gallon of milk and doesn't use any of it. now i've gotta chug these two down in the next 3 days because i hate how milk tastes after that many days...lol

Trent_Steel
03-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Benifits to drinking loads of milk:

Super cheap source of animal protein

Did I mention its super cheap

GEOFF361
03-22-2005, 05:29 PM
someone told me once that drinking too much milk can cause kidney stones.... cuz of the calcium, is that just garbage, or is there any truth to it?

spanky33
03-22-2005, 06:05 PM
it is possible. i'd say more from the vitamin D though, not so much the calcium. But that's more for long term excess intake. i'd say more half a gallon a day for a long time might increase your risk...
but nothing is for sure really.

Nito
04-19-2005, 08:37 PM
I drink between 7-10 cups a day am I at any risks of anything?

Deadrodent
04-25-2005, 09:16 PM
I used to drink a gallon of 1% a day until switching to fat free to lower my fat intake. Lately I've been drinking almost 1.5 gallons a day - but that's only because I'm doing insane boxing workouts and without the added cals/protein/carbs I'd probably just keel over and die. But overall Milk is the ****. I'd suggest drinking as much of it as you can. Lucky for me I can chug it down like a baby. It's like liquid strength....

Built
04-25-2005, 09:32 PM
I did some quick research and it seems the "connection" between saturated fat and heart disease is very controversial ... in fact, some doctors argue that 50% of our fat calories should be from saturated fats.

I'm with Anthony. My cholesterol came DOWN when I increased my saturated (and other) fat consumption, increased protein, decreased carbs somewhat, and started lifting.

spencerjrus
04-26-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm with Anthony. My cholesterol came DOWN when I increased my saturated (and other) fat consumption, increased protein, decreased carbs somewhat, and started lifting.

Join the club, I'm in love with healthy fats.

manowar669
04-26-2005, 04:08 PM
someone told me once that drinking too much milk can cause kidney stones.... cuz of the calcium, is that just garbage, or is there any truth to it?
Not true. If you are drinking enough water, you have nothing to worry about, unless you have an existing kidney problem. Sheep farmers have known for ages that calcium deficiency can CAUSE kidney stones, because a kidney stone will kill a prize Ram. The calcium in the "stone" comes from the body reducing bone density to meet the reduced amount of calcium available, since calcium is also necessary for other life functions (muscle contractions, etc.). We are very similar to sheep in this respect. (Most mammals are.) Don't worry about it, drink your milk, and water.
Milk is superior to soy milk, especially for males. Get skim, get used to it. The sugar in milk is lactose, not glucose, don't worry about it unless on a keto type diet. Just budget it into your diet.

AB2004
04-26-2005, 04:20 PM
i drink 2 litre of semi-skimmed a day (due to the fact skimmed is 1 more expensive where i shop and i cant afford to pay that)

shansen008
04-27-2005, 01:20 AM
I drink lots of 1%, cant stand skim...the taste and consistancy gets to me.

1% rocks, cuts most of the fat while retaining that great milk taste.

pinky8713
04-27-2005, 01:29 AM
I drink a gallon of 2% a day. The cals are great for my bulk. I might start getting 1% though...skim is disgusting.

Guido
04-27-2005, 09:26 AM
1% is awesome. I go through a gallon every other day, and I'm the only one who drinks it (wife drinks skim). It really is a great and easy way to supplement your calories. I also mix my whey protein with it as it seems to taste the best that way.

AKraut
04-27-2005, 10:07 AM
I've been drinking fat free milk forever, for those that don't like the taste you just have to get used to it. To me 2% tastes like buttermilk, yuck. I used to drink a ton but I've cut back on sugar all together so I drink less than .5gal/week.

spencerjrus
04-27-2005, 10:34 AM
I've been drinking fat free milk forever, for those that don't like the taste you just have to get used to it. To me 2% tastes like buttermilk, yuck. I used to drink a ton but I've cut back on sugar all together so I drink less than .5gal/week.

I think even 2% tastes like water. I grew up drinking raw milk and now anything but whole milk seems pointless.

Iron Pony
04-28-2005, 03:41 PM
I used to have the same opinion about 'less than whole' milk being nasty. "May as well drink water, it tastes better". While discussing calcium deficiency with my lifting buddies,(I used to think a pound of milk would put 2 pounds of fat on me, so I quit drinking it altogether. I'm not sure about that now) one of them suggested that I "try Braum's fat free milk. It tastes different". Yeah right. Well, it DOES taste different than Hiland, Foremost, or Borden's. Long story short, you might try pints of different brands of milk, to see if you can find one that you can tolerate.

TOBART
04-28-2005, 05:30 PM
I drink 4 liters of 2% every 2 days... I believe thats around 1.5 gallons ???
From what I hear, drinking too much milk can caused increased flem in your throat which is why a lot of singers don't drink it. Also, I heard somewhere that it can give you acne... not sure how true that is.

And why drink so much milk? Every liter has 520 calories and 35g of protien.

Ironman15
04-29-2005, 02:23 AM
I think even 2% tastes like water. I grew up drinking raw milk and now anything but whole milk seems pointless.

I couldn't agree more. I love whole milk. I probably drink about 3/4 a gallon a day. Great source of protein and calories.

spencerjrus
04-29-2005, 10:16 AM
I couldn't agree more. I love whole milk. I probably drink about 3/4 a gallon a day. Great source of protein and calories.

Ya I usually get 25% of my daily cals and protein from milk, its just so easy and cheap I cant see any reason not to.