PDA

View Full Version : cardio exercise(running) before or after lifting?

icemanocp
03-21-2005, 01:45 PM
i have been lifting now for almost 2 months straight, 5 days a week. and i usually do cardio (running) for about 15 minutes at the end of lifting. is this right? or should i be doing cardio before i lift? or does it really even matter? or even better yet, do i really need cardio if all i want to do is bulk up & get good body tone for aesthetic purposes?

Built
03-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Never before, and yes, it matters.

No or little cardio for bulking, and there's no such thing as toning.

Not quite sure how you'd consider bulking to be something you'd do for body tone... :scratch:

Geeper
03-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Look, don't listen to Built, we all know lots of "toned" soccor mom's who get that way from toning class'es. (Just kidding by the way, knew you'd like this Built)

Cardio after, if you do them at the same time. There's a million reasons but the simplest is if you do cardio first you won't have all the strenght you need to do heavy lifting.

Best to separate cardio and lifting as much as possible, even on different days if you can.

If you're bulking you want to keep cardio to a bare minimum, a BARE minimum, you want all your calories to go towards building muscle so burning them off doing cardio is getting in the way of bulking.

Sidior
03-21-2005, 02:35 PM
why go for a run after the gym when its better for you to sit on your ass and do nothing? :D

body
03-21-2005, 02:38 PM
have a good search. Some good in depth post on this done recently.

Built
03-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Look, don't listen to Built, we all know lots of "toned" soccor mom's who get that way from toning class'es. (Just kidding by the way, knew you'd like this Built)

Bite me. :whip:

LOL!

fixationdarknes
04-01-2005, 02:37 PM
So, if there's no way to give cardio its own day, it's okay to do cardio after a lifting session? And would it be better to do cardio like 8 hours after lifting or right after?

--edit: Nevermind, I searched and found answer.

Chris Tucker
04-02-2005, 11:47 PM
You need at least 8 hours between the lifting and cardio.

Built
04-02-2005, 11:49 PM
You can do a little steady-state cardio after lifting. Probably no more than 20 minutes, though.

Chris Tucker
04-02-2005, 11:50 PM
You can do a little steady-state cardio after lifting. Probably no more than 20 minutes, though.

Your body is already in a catabolic state. No need to chase the weight with cardio at that point.

Built
04-02-2005, 11:52 PM
I'll beg to differ here.

So long as your lifting wasn't prolonged, most people can probably handle it.

Furthermore, brief, steady-state cardio (and I mean something like fast incline walking here, not HIIT or jogging) will burn off the FFAs mobilized by the intense activity (lifting).

Chris Tucker
04-03-2005, 12:02 AM
Furthermore, brief, steady-state cardio (and I mean something like fast incline walking here, not HIIT or jogging) will burn off the FFAs mobilized by the intense activity (lifting).

Once your body is in a catabolic state, you need nutrition to stave off the effects or your body will state to consume itself to restore glycogen levels.

Built
04-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Sure. But not everybody is completely depleted following training. I'd argue that most people probably aren't.

waynis
04-03-2005, 12:15 PM
conclusion. If you can't do cardio on days your not weight lifting do cardio after your workout. I would suggest some simple carbs and a little protein before you go straight into the running though just to be safe. Nothing big though.. you don't wanna vomit. haha. :redface:

Built
04-03-2005, 12:40 PM
If it's running, yes. If it's slower cardio (fast incline walk, < 20 minutes), then I'd skip that part - simple carbs will shut down fat burning.

Honestly, I can't IMAGINE running after I train. I manage about 10 minutes of fast incline walking on a GOOD day.

I hate cardio.