PDA

View Full Version : need help with using bench shirt!!!!

biggimp
03-21-2005, 06:57 PM
just got a titan fury about 3 weeks ago, and using it is reallly proving to be a problem for me. at first i thought the sleeves were too tight, because they just came down past my elbow, they go all the way to the "pit" of my elbow. the chest is pretty tight though, the first time it wasnt but its getting on pretty much all the way now, so i guess that means that the sleeves are on all the way? anyways, i have my spotter put his elbow into the front and sides of the shirt to pull it down all the way. it feels like it fits really good then. but when i lay down to bench its a whole different story. i try to arch just a little, but when i do, the shirt comes up and almost chokes me. after a few singles i have marks across my neck. it feels like the shirt is being pulled off me over my head when i lay down to bench. also, first time i used the shirt, i got 315 a little easy, but last two times it came off my chest easy about 70% to lockout, and stalled. this was after 5 raw sets so i think at a meet or something of the sort, i could get it okay.

the amount i am getting from the shirt worries me, because ive hit 285 raw at a couple different meets, so that means im only getting about 30. most people ive heard say theyre getting 40-50 from their shirt. so am i not using it to its potential, am i not wearing it right, what is the deal? i just think that theres a lot i need to work on.

Isaac Wilkins
03-21-2005, 07:59 PM
Are you using a belt? A lot of guys use a belt when they bench to keep the shirt down.

Geeper
03-22-2005, 04:04 AM
It might be too big. The few guys I've known who have used one had to have someone else help them put it on and could barely move properly when it was on. They are supposed to be insanely tight. I've never worn one, but this is just from watching buddies. Most of them stopped using them regularly because they where such a pain in the a$$ to get on and off.

AdamBaker
03-22-2005, 11:27 AM
My first shirt was Fury, it was good shirt. I was able to get 110 pounds out of it. I made the mistake of not using a belt for the first few weeks and it rode up just the way you're saying. Don't give up on it, wear a belt, work the lockout, and tuck your elbows you'll be suprised what you can do with it.

Gutz981
03-22-2005, 11:50 AM
How much do these shirts go for?

EHSathlete
03-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Yeah, use the belt to hold the shirt. It helps lol.

Isaac Wilkins
03-22-2005, 03:22 PM
How much do these shirts go for?

The Fury is usually about $85.

biggimp
03-23-2005, 09:11 PM
thanks i cant believe i didnt think of using a belt lol...

and geeper, i have to have at least one person help me get it on, its not loose at all...

and adambaker, when you say "tuck elbows" you mean bring them in towards my sides when i approach lockout or what?

Isaac Wilkins
03-24-2005, 05:59 AM
Keep your elbows tucked towards your sides for the entire movement.

galileo
03-24-2005, 10:04 AM
If a Fury would get me 110lbs, then I'd be close to benching 200 finally!

AdamBaker
03-25-2005, 06:36 AM
I use the technique that Bill Crawford uses from Metal Militia it works for both Poly and Denim. First get a big arch in your back. When you take the bar off the rack let it come down about an inch normally at that point tuck your elbows as hard as you can toward your sides, once you touch give it everything you have and about half way up begin to push your elbows out and you will lock the weight out much easier. This technique has allowed me get 110 pounds out of my old Titan shirt which was too big, and it has allowed 300 pounds out my denim shirt that I use now. I have a video from this monday on our teams website showing this technique the website is www.freewebs.com/powercats. It's large but demonstrates the proper form.