PDA

View Full Version : Sushi

Draven_Fenix
03-21-2005, 07:28 PM
What up everybody. The other day my girlfriend convinced me to try sushi and it was pretty good I must admit. I was wondering how good sushi is as far as nutritional value. I know the fish and all is good for you, but what about the rice? Is white rice complex or simple carb? And is the way sushi is prepared nutritionally acceptable for maintaining a good diet? It's pretty affordable and it's much better than going to subway after work everyday. Any thoughts?

neartaigh
03-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Rice is high GI carb....but sushi can be a great source of protien. Careful with the soy sauce-- salt levels are astronomical.

But, it all depends on what kind of sushi you are getting. If you have sashimi, you can just eat the fish, and skip the rice altogether.

Regardless, according to fitday...each piece of sushi runs about 36 calories.

In terms of protien..well, fish is fish, and protien is fish...so cooked or no, you are getting the benefit.

Draven_Fenix
03-21-2005, 08:19 PM
High GI is bad correct? I thought that the rice might be bad. I'll check next time I go to see if they have it without rice. How about the seaweed?

Vitalize
03-21-2005, 08:24 PM
I wouldn`t worry about the soy sauce.(although Im not sure about Amnerican soy?)
Asian people are the most long lived (and in my opinion the most healthy)people on the planet and soy is included as part of eveyday diet, and it dosen't do them or myself any harm whatsoever.

Vitalize
03-21-2005, 08:27 PM
And the rice, is vinigered rice with sugar so in that regard dont have TOO much...but I'm sure you wont be eating THAT much anyway...soy sauce is only an option.
Here in Japan we have 100 yen sushi bars (100 yen is about 50 cents) and that buys you 3 peices of sushi...it aint high quality but it's not too shabby either.
I usually go to these places twice a week and have about 10 plates.
Always feel good afterwards...MMmmm sushi.

Built
03-21-2005, 09:13 PM
If it's post workout, the high GI carbs with protein is actually a pretty good choice. The vinegar (http://www.ruggedmag.com/index.php?type=Article&i=2&a=6) can help you deal with the carbs, and salt (http://chemo.net/sodium-.htm)may actually be anabolic.

Mystic Eric
03-21-2005, 09:16 PM
You should go for ALL YOU CAN EAT sushi. Here in Canada, you can get good AYCE for 11.95... *drools*

Optimum08
03-21-2005, 09:18 PM
sushi is delicious...and about the salt in the soy sauce...just make sure u don't drench your sushi in it...a small bit of soy won't hurt and it makes it taste even better...

Maki Riddington
03-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Sushi is heavenly manah (did I spell that correctly?).

dissipate
03-22-2005, 05:21 AM
the seaweed shouldn't be any problem

galileo
03-22-2005, 05:39 AM
I am going to get sushi this evening as a tribute to this thread. Thank you.