PDA

View Full Version : What a bodybuilder should drink

heatwave345
03-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Hey guys

The sticky about what a body builder should eat was really helpful. But what about what a bodybuilder should drink?

Manveet
03-21-2005, 07:59 PM
Water and some milk.

Gatorade wouldn't be bad during a workout.

heatwave345
03-21-2005, 08:00 PM
also list what a bodybuilder should definitly not drink

I heard that pop is really bad and should be avoided. Is that true? even diet?

CarlP
03-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Water and milk for me.

Vitalize
03-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Water, Milk, Green tea...gatorade is not nessecerry....dont trust so called energy drinks

Holto
03-21-2005, 08:34 PM
water, milk, tea

Holto
03-21-2005, 08:35 PM
pre, during and PWO carbs = dex,malto,gatorade

Guido
03-21-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm all about the milk. Usually 1% if possible.

Optimum08
03-21-2005, 09:10 PM
i go with the milk, and water....and sometimes if i need a lil boost during my workout a gatorade/powerade does the trick....but a diet soda every once in a while won't kill you...

Zearoth
03-21-2005, 09:13 PM
Milk and good ol' Gatorade/Powerade.

Maki Riddington
03-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Low carb milk, water with lemon and the ocassional diet soda.

Shao-LiN
03-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Water, Milk, Green tea...gatorade is not nessecerry....dont trust so called energy drinks

Gatorade is not necessary, but it is a good source of carbs and electrolytes during a workout.

Maki Riddington
03-21-2005, 10:56 PM
It is.

PagalDesi4Life
03-22-2005, 02:21 AM
what about vitamin water?

Vitalize
03-22-2005, 06:13 AM
Fair point but thee is something about them which I don't like...don't really know what it is exactly.
Water is the dogs bits IMO...no need anything else.
I'll get my carbs from clean sources of food.
Just my choice so don't flame me.

Shao-LiN
03-22-2005, 07:16 AM
Not flaming you, though you not understanding why you don't like it is kind of awkward.

heatwave345
03-22-2005, 08:55 AM
hi

is coffee and diet pop ok to drink?

Holto
03-22-2005, 09:07 AM
if I'm sitting on my ass and I drink a gatorade I will feel bad because of rising blood sugar and insulin

if I drink it pre-during-post workout my body will use more of the glucose and I will end up with level blood sugar & insulin

Eddan
03-22-2005, 09:39 AM
what about vitamin water?

What is it?

galileo
03-22-2005, 09:45 AM
I enjoy coffee and I haven't found diet soda to hinder my progress a bit.

thajeepster
03-22-2005, 11:28 AM
coffee, coffee, and more coffee, plus water :D

AKraut
03-22-2005, 11:45 AM
I drink water 90% of the time, some diet soda, maybe 20oz per day. Very little milk unless it's in cereal or a shake.

Alcoholic drinks are an entirely different challenge. When I drink at home it's strictly liqour with diet soda mixer which you can also get at any bar or club, and beer as long as it's lite.

Vido
03-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Water's all you need, anything else is secondary.

Vitalize
03-22-2005, 02:24 PM
here here
Gatorade....dunno people managed without it before and got along fine.
The bad thing about gatorade is the sugar....the GOOD thing about it is the electrolytes (sodium, potassium, etc)
You could argue that the sugar is a good thing to spike the insulin levels. However, the bottled gatorade has high fructose corn syrup and that is definately not a good thing. The body does not recognize what it is and immediately stores it as fat.

waynis
03-22-2005, 02:55 PM
water, that's all you need.

no regrets
03-23-2005, 09:28 AM
water, milk, green tea. On occasion I make some pink lemonade crystal light.

Holto
03-23-2005, 10:07 AM
However, the bottled gatorade has high fructose corn syrup and that is definately not a good thing. The body does not recognize what it is and immediately stores it as fat.

this is aboslutely false

if it's not feel free to post proof

the reason why HFCS gets a bad rap is that it preferentially restores hepatic glycogen, and then when the liver is topped up it is converted to fat

this fat is then released into the circulation and it has an honest chance to be used as energy and it won't automatically be stored as fat

[[[----]]]
03-23-2005, 11:38 AM
water and skim milk is what i drink.

MixmasterNash
03-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Coffee, beer, liquor, wine, water, milk, occasional soda.

It's all about moderation, except for water, which should be consumed in mass quantities. I don't think weight lifters really have to worry about hyponatremia.

Vitalize
03-25-2005, 06:23 AM
Prove it...Hmmm I'll try...not sure if it will satisfy you though.
http://www.newstarget.com/002036.html
http://www.ljworld.com/section/take_a_stand/story/134965
http://www.dentalgentlecare.com/diet_soda.htm
Gatorade is pretty much, well marketed evil sugar water.
Also, most foods/drinks contain high fructose corn syrup because it's cheaper than sugar.. It aint a healthy choice.
If you want to drink it then fine, all I'm saying is that I wouldn't put that tooth destroying garbage in my mouth if I were dying of thirst in a desert.
But each to his/her own.
Thats my 10 cents. :soapbox:

Owen
03-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Soy milk, green tea, some vodka. Ginsing tea is something I keep meaning to try.
Water of course. Lots.

Holto
03-25-2005, 09:41 AM
The body does not recognize what it is and immediately stores it as fat.

you're stating this as a fact

you won't be able to prove this because it's BS

generally on WBB if you state BS as Fact you will be called on it

you're just repeating what you have read in articles that are not *entirely* based on good science or any science at all

this is how myths are perpetuated, you didn't bother to get the facts you trusted some random authors

but don't worry I'm not pleading a case for HFCS

I eat whole foods whenever possible and I dont eat any HFCS at all

getfit
03-25-2005, 11:27 AM
i drink my gatorade during my workouts all the time i'm fine and alive! ;)

CarlP
03-25-2005, 12:00 PM
I drink it after every workout with a meal.

PagalDesi4Life
03-25-2005, 02:00 PM
What is it?

Vitamin Water
http://www.drinkbetterwater.com/

Been meaning to give them a try, what do you guys think?

Vitalize
03-25-2005, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE] you're just repeating what you have read in articles that are not *entirely* based on good science or any science at all [QUOTE]
So what are you basing your evidence on then?
All I'm doing is quoting what I've heard from other sources (like you I'm sure), and my PERSONAL choice is not to take it....nothing more nothing less.
All I was saying is that drinking *Sports* drinks loaded with corn syrup is no alternative to drinking water to stay hydrated.
I'll be the first to admit I'm no scientist(Are you?), and yes Im sure it does replace some electrolytes...but come on...have you soon thier homepage and the ridiculous "water is not enough" claim...now THAT'S BS!
In your post, you even admit you dont take any HFCS (er...hello) so you agree with my MAIN point that it's bad then....contradiction anyone.
Can you prove that it isnt stored as fat?:windup:
Here is at better NATURAL alternative http://www.silvermedicine.org/gatorade-silver-electrolytes.html

And I hope you find this interesting
http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/brent17.htm
I apologize If I sound bitchy.:)

shansen008
03-25-2005, 02:47 PM
if I'm sitting on my ass and I drink a gatorade I will feel bad because of rising blood sugar and insulin

if I drink it pre-during-post workout my body will use more of the glucose and I will end up with level blood sugar & insulin

Unless youre mixing your own powdered gatorade, there isnt any glucose in it. The bottled stuff uses high fructose corn syrup, might as well drink a coke....its got plenty of that crap and sodium!!

Double D
03-25-2005, 05:07 PM
Lots of people say that water is all you need, amybe milk. But I get tired of drinking plain water so I drink diet pop. I know its not good for you, but I cant see how its bad for you either. It has less than 1 cal in it. People always say the aspartame casuse cancer, but they also say dont eat tuna cuz of mercury. I think as long as you do it in moderation you should be fine. If it was really that dangerous they wouldn't be allowed to sell it.

Owen
03-25-2005, 05:15 PM
Diet pop and Lite beer has come along way in taste thats for sure. What Im wondering about now is that gatorade gum. Does that count and if so does it make you fat? :-) Sorry its Friday lol

BigMatt
03-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Water,skim milk is all you need

shansen008
03-25-2005, 10:24 PM
this is aboslutely false

if it's not feel free to post proof

the reason why HFCS gets a bad rap is that it preferentially restores hepatic glycogen, and then when the liver is topped up it is converted to fat

this fat is then released into the circulation and it has an honest chance to be used as energy and it won't automatically be stored as fat

Exactly, and as luck would have it, the glycogen stored in your liver is generally the last to be used and is thus normally pretty full anyway. Unless youre somethign along the lines of a long distance runner or just do an assload of cardio.....and i mean a LOT. Therefore most HFCS you take in is going to eventually make it to your fat stores.

People ask me all the time at work about diets and which one they should try. I just tell them to take baby steps and to cut all soda pop and fruit juice out of thier diets.....it really is that easy. The average person i bet you could cut 1000 calories out of their diet just by not drinking pop and fruit juice all day. Youd be surprised how many people drink less than a glass of plain water a day.

-S

waynis
03-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Has anyone ever tried smart water? It's water with electrolytes. I get the big 32 oz and you drink half of that and your not thirsty for hours. It's great.

TOBART
03-26-2005, 01:35 PM
Water and 2% milk in large quantities.

When I workout I mix a liter of water with creatine and dextrose then throw a bit of gatorade powder in just for some flavour.

body
03-26-2005, 01:51 PM
water, milk, protein smoothies

Jabberwocky
03-26-2005, 10:51 PM
I drink blood from a grizzly bear I killed with my bare hands. Through drinking the blood I absorb some of the bear's strenght, I have articles that prove this. However, there are side effects, I am now extremely attracted to harry women.

heatwave345
03-28-2005, 04:15 PM
can juice be a big part of a body builder's diet? I know the fruit itself is obviously the best choice, but sometimes the convience of juice is pretty nice.

I drink about 4-5 cups of OJ a day. Is that too much?

YungLifter
03-29-2005, 05:23 AM
H2O and i also drink sugar free peach iced tea=)