PDA

View Full Version : Killer digestive difficulties -- gas/indigestion

_-_v_-_
03-21-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm at my wits end here.

Recently, I've been dealing with substantial gas/indigestion -- severe enough, in fact, that I hardly have the desire to eat, even though I have an appetite and by all accounts need more food.

I seem to have tried everything -- swapping out foods, changing my diet, etc...
I've cut out all sorbitol -- I rarely eat the stuff anyway -- to no effect. I've swapped out egg whites, tried various types of protein powders, etc... No luck.

My diet generally comprises: oatmeal, whole-grain breads, lots of vegetables (diced mushrooms/onions/tomatoes in my morning 1/2-cup egg beater omelette; steamed brocolli/cauliflower; spinach; tomatoes; etc...), soy protein powders (I'm fatally allergic to all dairy products), brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc... I don't cheat; I eat extremely clean.

Yes, I do use a good deal of artificial sweeteners; and yes, I do have some caffeine in the mornings. But Equal and Sweet N' Low are hardly known for causing digestive difficulties; and the amount of coffee I drink is hardly excessive.

If it helps, the problems typically begin at about mid-day, and persist through the evening.

Any ideas/suggestions? Do I need to post my complete diet first?

Thanks again.

EDIT: I should note that my diet is hardly excessive (in caloric terms). By all rights, I should be able -- and, in the past, was easily able -- to slam down 3000+ calories per day. I need more food; this I know. What I don't know is why my stomach is so upset when I am eating so little (relatively).

Holto
03-21-2005, 08:54 PM
what kind of digestive aids are you using ?

enzymes
apple cider vinegar
Acidophilus

on first read I feel you're giving us the answer

have you tried dropping the artificial sweeteners ?

have you done any cleansing programs ?

you're studying to be a doctor right ?

that seems incredibly stress full...

do you have time to relax after a meal ?

due to the relationship of digestion with the sypathetic nervous sytem you can really sacrifice good digestion

even when we eat clean we are guilty of eating while we drive, or on short breaks and then right back to work

it's not good

here is a little blurb

The neurotransmitter of the preganglionic sympathetic neurons is acetylcholine (ACh). It stimulates action potentials in the postganglionic neurons.

The neurotransmitter released by the postganglionic neurons is noradrenaline (also called norepinephrine).

The action of noradrenaline on a particular gland or muscle is excitatory is some cases, inhibitory in others. (At excitatory terminals, ATP may be released along with noradrenaline.)

The release of noradrenaline
stimulates heartbeat
raises blood pressure
dilates the pupils
dilates the trachea and bronchi
stimulates the conversion of liver glycogen into glucose
shunts blood away from the skin and viscera to the skeletal muscles, brain, and heart
inhibits peristalsis in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract
inhibits contraction of the bladder and rectum

the belief in natural medicine is that the SNS get's railroaded by the demands of working, driving, planning, over-analyzing ect...

if you don't have the luxury of taking a good 30 minutes to relax take whatever you can

even if it's just two minutes that you relax and breathe...and then when you go back to what you were doing remember you're better to remain calm

_-_v_-_
03-21-2005, 10:29 PM
I have been under a lot of stress, yes -- but less so of late

I've also been tested for gluten allergy/intolerance -- nothing.

I'm currently taking: CitraCal; 2 g/day vit. c; B-Complex; NAC; Multi-vit; 5-7g/day of fish oil; and Ambien for insomnia.

I honestly think it may have something to do with the amount of cruciferous vegetables I've been eating -- lots of brocolli and cauliflower. Do such foods give anyone else any problems?

Note: I typically lift/sprint/train (60-80minutes) from 9:45 or so to around 11:00-11:15 AM. During this training session I sip a 50g dextrose/5gcreatine/25 g soy protein shake. And, yes; I've gone extended periods training in precisely such a fashion without any digestive difficulties. Why things have, of late, been so painful, I have no idea.

The only thing I can think of is that, recently, I've been eating too little (in caloric terms) and too much (in fibrous/bulk terms). Such always occurs when I am forced to travel (lots of salads/side dishes of steamed vegetables/etc...) Could an increase in fiber intake coupled with a decrease in total food intake cause this sort of distress?

ReelBigFish
03-21-2005, 11:51 PM
from my first reading i would say that the gas is most likely caused from all the veggies you're eating. As far as indigestion, do you have a history of it in your family? That could be from the veggies as well seeing as how you say that's the bulk of your diet then your stomach may be staying full from all the fiber and the acid has no where to go, but up.

pruneman
03-22-2005, 05:56 AM
hey V,

I have been in the same situation as yourself for quite some time. I've found some things that have helped greatly...Here are my recommendations:

1. stop using artificial sweetners
2. stop ALL caffine
3. reduce your fiber intake (especially raw vegetables)
4. stop drinking sodas (even if they don't have caffine)

Of those, the ones that helped me the most were #2 and #4. You can also try getting a script for Hyoscyamine (Levsin) to help w/ cramping and spasms.

Holto
03-22-2005, 09:21 AM
I think you should start using all three digestive aids I listed

have you seen your family Dr ?

in my experience Allopahic Dr's can't help with these problems, you should consult a naturopath

pruneman
03-22-2005, 10:07 AM
Could an increase in fiber intake coupled with a decrease in total food intake cause this sort of distress?

It has been my experience that the answer to this is a resounding YES.

Vapour Trails
03-22-2005, 11:47 AM
After reading the list of foods you eat, the source of your problem is quite evident.

waynis
03-22-2005, 12:01 PM
It's more then likely a digestive disorder such as leaky gut syndrome. But it can come from many different issues. HOLTO pointed out some good information.

What you need to start doing is start taking enzymes right away and also acidopholus will be very helpful. What's cuasing your problems? It could be many things like.. hormone imbalances or neuro transmitter deficiency. Try to find out. I have leaky gut syndrome. I don't digest protein properly. Notice if you feel worse after taking in protein? My syndrome came along with hypoglycemia.

Even if you eat crap your body usually will adjust to that crap and produce enzymes to digest the foods but if you have a issue it will be there no matter what you eat.

Vido
03-22-2005, 12:03 PM
After reading the list of foods you eat, the source of your problem is quite evident.

?

Holto
03-22-2005, 12:03 PM
glutamine can be a cure for leaky guy

which is partly why it's not a good bb supp it all gets used in the GI tract