PDA

View Full Version : Dextrose and diabetes

GMCtrk
03-22-2005, 09:52 PM
I know this may be a stupid question, but now that I am taking 50+ grams of dextrose pwo every day I wanted to ask. Will taking this amount of dextrose each day cause any increased chance of type II diabetes? THanks!

Built
03-22-2005, 09:55 PM
If you target it around your lifting, it shouldn't. Your muscles have increased insulin sensitivity at this time.

I was actually on metformin a few years ago (before I was lifting or eating properly), and even I can get away with my 40g of dextrose/maltodextrin on lifting days without any problems.

GMCtrk
03-22-2005, 10:02 PM
If there is any chance that this can happen I think I may stop taking dextrose....considering there is a history of diabetes on my mothers side

Built
03-22-2005, 10:18 PM
I'd truly be shocked.

What's your bodyfat like now? How's your diet and your training?

GMCtrk
03-22-2005, 10:36 PM
I'd truly be shocked.

What's your bodyfat like now? How's your diet and your training?

Bodyfat is probably about 15% that is an estimate. I am 5'8 170lbs. My diet is good, training is very intense :burger:

Built
03-23-2005, 12:08 AM
The dextrose is a dietary supplement that you consume during the anabolic window, when your muscles' insulin sensitivity is at its highest and your fat's insulin sensitivity is at its lowest.

If you were eating crap all day, I'd be worried.

From what you are telling me, I'm not.

My .02

SalahG
03-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Dextrose won't cause diabetes.

Bohizzle
03-23-2005, 12:37 AM
The chances of you (at ur current bodyfat, age, and health levels) acquiring type 2 diabetes are relatively low. However, i say relatively because as u mentioned ur mother's side of the family has a history of diabetes and this increases ur chances (diabetes is passed on through mother's side.. i forget the proper name for this kind of disease). I wouldn't worry too much, as ur a healthy guy, if u became obese and lived a sedentary lifestyle then i'd start to worry, but there's always a chance especially if ur mother's side has a history of it. (btw i'm a type 1 diabetic) so hope ur happy with the decision that u end up making. (if it helps at all, i would keep doing what ur doing, as built said, u've got nothing really to worry about). hope that helps.

Andrew

Holto
03-23-2005, 09:14 AM
lifting should be enough to prevent diabetes

I have never known someone in shape develop adult onset diabetes

lifting increases insulin sensitivity...epsecially after training but this is also a lasting benefit