PDA

View Full Version : Fish Oil

Hockey66
03-23-2005, 01:14 AM
My mom went shopping today and I told her to buy either fish oil or flax seed oil and she came home with a product by the company Quest called total EFA which can be found here.
http://www.questvitamins.com/product_cat.asp?id=56

I'm wondering if this is just as good or if I should take it back and buy fish oil or flax seed oil. Also, how many capsules should I take per day? The directions say 3 but I know a bodybuilder needs more than an average person.

Thanks for the help.

CarlP
03-23-2005, 06:47 AM
Beware the fish burps.

Isaac Wilkins
03-23-2005, 08:17 AM
It's not a bad product, but it's a little low on EPA and DHA, which are really the two fatty acids you're looking for. Those are the helpful ones that can't be created by the body and are most lacking in today's modern diet.

I would say at least double the dose, and then when you finish the bottle pick up some plain fish oil. Quality salmon oil is superb, but it's a bit more expensive. Plain fish oil from a good company is fine.

Beavereater
03-23-2005, 08:47 AM
It's not a bad product, but it's a little low on EPA and DHA, which are really the two fatty acids you're looking for.

How much EPA and DHA should you take per day, and should you take it all at once, or over the whole day? I just got myself some fish oil too (Actually my gf did) but it's all in Japanese. Apparently it's shark liver oil...not sure if that's a good source or not, but it was expensive as f***k...but that's Japan.

Holto
03-23-2005, 08:48 AM
as Borris said the thing your looking for is high levels of DHA & EPA

the body can make them from ALA but ALA is also extremely lacking in the average diet

Isaac Wilkins
03-23-2005, 09:58 AM
as Borris said the thing your looking for is high levels of DHA & EPA

the body can make them from ALA but ALA is also extremely lacking in the average diet

Yeah, and the turnover is usually awful.

Holto
03-23-2005, 10:04 AM
something like 10% in men and 15-20% in women

you'd have to really like flax oil

TheGimp
03-23-2005, 10:38 AM
The problem with the product you've mentioned is it contains omega-6 and 9. The ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 is important; ideally it should be 1:1. However most people get something in the region of 1:20 to 1:50 as the result of an overabundance of vegetable oils and grains in our modern diets. It shouldn't really be necessary to supplement with omega-6, only omega-3 in order to get closer to achieving that ideal ratio.

Hockey66
03-23-2005, 02:21 PM
The problem with the product you've mentioned is it contains omega-6 and 9. The ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 is important; ideally it should be 1:1. However most people get something in the region of 1:20 to 1:50 as the result of an overabundance of vegetable oils and grains in our modern diets. It shouldn't really be necessary to supplement with omega-6, only omega-3 in order to get closer to achieving that ideal ratio.

Thanks everyone,

How would the product on that page called "Omega-3 Complete - Triple Fish Oil Blend" work? It says this pharmaceutical grade product has one of the highest levels of EPA and DHA on the market. Each capsule contains 400 mg of EPA and 200 mg of DHA. If I take the other back get this instead how many should I take?

Big Bas
03-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Thanks everyone,

How would the product on that page called "Omega-3 Complete - Triple Fish Oil Blend" work? It says this pharmaceutical grade product has one of the highest levels of EPA and DHA on the market. Each capsule contains 400 mg of EPA and 200 mg of DHA. If I take the other back get this instead how many should I take?
i take about 10 a day. keep in mind that fish oil is not like a multi vitamin. just imagine that you are getting the oil naturally from eating fish. remember, to add the calories from the caps into your daily total as well.