PDA

View Full Version : atkins vs. psmf diet

scrutdada
03-23-2005, 10:19 AM
people here have talked about the psmf diet and ive read and searched a few threads. this diet essentially sounds like atkins. am i missing anything? it basically seems that you consume protein and little carbs. is there something different about the psmf that atkins does or does not do?

tholian8
03-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Atkins is a high fat diet, PSMF is a high protein diet. "Classic" Atkins requires 70% of the calories to come from fats.

scrutdada
03-23-2005, 10:40 AM
well then if my diet consisted of the following items would it fall under psmf? this is what i ate yesterday
breakfast: 1/2 cup egg beaters 2 eggs scrambeled with 2 slices of american cheese

lunch: 2 chicken breasts
snack: i package of tuna (contained 2.5 servings)
ON shake post workout (2 scoops)
dinner: 2 4oz turkey burgers with american cheese.

will one "work" better than the other. im not necessarily attempting this as a long term diet, but ive got some weight i just wanted to get off, and so far, ive done this for about four days and i can say that ive seen decent results. but although atkins is high in fat, isnt it also high in protein?

AdmiralDan
03-23-2005, 10:40 AM
you consume almost no fat with psmf whereas atkins is a crapload of fat

TheGimp
03-23-2005, 10:42 AM
I suggest you read up on the specifics of a PSMF at www.bodyrecomposition.com

The point of Atkins is ketosis and too much protein can kick one out of ketosis via gluconeogenesis.

Vido
03-23-2005, 12:16 PM
PSMF has specific guidelines (1-1.5g protein/lb bodyweight, 6g fish oil, no carbs), whereas Atkins doesn't really (except maybe to make sure a certain % of calories are coming from fat).

In addition, Atkins isn't aimed at people who lift weights.