PDA

View Full Version : Refeeding???

HalleluYAH
03-23-2005, 11:42 AM
I have been trying to run a diet similiar to one I found on a website in attempt to lower my BF% by creating insulin sensitivity.

I have had suucess in speeding up my metabolism, and am lowering BF at a descent pace; here is my question:

DO YOU THINK A REFEED DAY HELP, AND HOW SO?

My daily diet looks somehwat like this.

7:30am 1-1/2 cups Oatmeal
2 scoops Whey protein (20g/scoop)
1 tbsp Flax oil
1 tbsp Safflower oil

10:30am 1/2 can Tuna w/Safflower oil & little mayo
1 slice 100% whole wheat bread

1:30pm 1/2 can Tuna w/Safflower oil & little mayo
1 slice 100% whole wheat bread

4:30pm 1/2 cup Oatmeal or approx. 10 baby carrot sticks.
1 scoop Whey protein

6:30pm 1/2 Big 100 Protein Bar <Pre Workout Meal>
or Chicken breast and Oatmeal.

8:00pm 1/2 Big 100 Protein Bar <Post Workout Meal>

9:30pm 2 scoops Whey protein, some EFA's (Flax, Safflower etc.)

* I drink plenty of water and greentea throughout the day.

Built
03-23-2005, 12:34 PM
Personally, I'd ditch the protein bar. You are relying on protein powder too much - you need food. I keep protein powder for pre/post workout shakes, but that's pretty much it. You also aren't eating enough saturated animal fat, but I digress...

I don't know what your cals are like right now, or if you're cutting on it, but when cutting, I like to do a refeed meal once a week or two. In addition to being a welcome break, it can sometimes help me break a stall.

HalleluYAH
03-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Personally, I'd ditch the protein bar. You are relying on protein powder too much - you need food. I keep protein powder for pre/post workout shakes, but that's pretty much it. You also aren't eating enough saturated animal fat, but I digress...

I don't know what your cals are like right now, or if you're cutting on it, but when cutting, I like to do a refeed meal once a week or two. In addition to being a welcome break, it can sometimes help me break a stall.
I am defiantely "cutting".

Also, I do eat chicken and steak, but with babies and a tight budget, I am crunching for protein any way I can get it, LOL.

Thanks for the reply though. It helps!

raniali
03-23-2005, 01:08 PM
since when is it recommended to eat saturated animal fat in a healthy diet? just curious to this logic, built? i do concur with his dependence on protein powders is a little excessive though.

i personally think a refeed day is important on any cutting diet once a week. there are so many threads (do a search) on refeeding and a sticky at the top of this forum.

Built
03-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Here: http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/oiling4.html

Benefits of animal fats

Foods containing trans fat sell because the American public is afraid of the alternative—saturated fats found in tallow, lard, butter, palm and coconut oil, fats traditionally used for frying and baking. Yet the scientific literature delineates a number of vital roles for dietary saturated fats—they enhance the immune system,54 are necessary for healthy bones,55 provide energy and structural integrity to the cells,56 protect the liver57 and enhance the body's use of essential fatty acids.58 Stearic acid, found in beef tallow and butter, has cholesterol lowering properties and is a preferred food for the heart.59 As saturated fats are stable, they do not become rancid easily, do not call upon the body's reserves of antioxidants, do not initiate cancer, do not irritate the artery walls.

Saturated animal fat is also associated with increasing testosterone levels in humans:

http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/EnhancingLBM.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/anthony5.htm
https://www.muscletech.com/NUTRITION/HIGH_PERFORMANCE_NUTRITION/ISSUE_1/index.shtml

My health improved tremendously since incorporating more saturated animal fat.

*cholesterol dropped from 6 to 3.5
*became leaner
*put on more muscle mass

Saturated animal fat is one of the fats that should be included in any healthy diet.

Severed Ties
03-23-2005, 01:21 PM
What is wrong with animal fat? Not saying you should eat fatty cuts but chicken, turkey, 97% lean beef, and flank steak are all excellent protein sources on a diet.

Other fats should come from mono unsaturated sources, fish and olive oil being two of the best sources, IMO.

ST

galileo
03-23-2005, 01:32 PM
I concur.

Built
03-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Yep. Olive oil for the monos, fish for the omega 3. Both are excellent sources of fat.

I also like egg yolks and avocados, coconut milk, and also natural peanut butter for my fat sources.

raniali
03-24-2005, 11:26 AM
i wasn't implying that saturated animal fats are the devil's food, but i found it odd that someone was actually encouraged to consume saturated animal fats. i absolutely agree that lean sources of chicken, turkey and even beef are great sources for protein, but i didn't think the typical motivation for consuming these animal proteins was for the saturated fat content (at least it isn't for me). as has been stated, there are other great non-saturated sources for fats. i was just asking her to clarify her statement which she did.

Gutz981
03-24-2005, 11:35 AM
whats up with all this oil and other stuff? why benifits do oil have?