PDA

View Full Version : Important HIIT questions...

JBrehm
03-23-2005, 01:41 PM
I've recently read the article on the WBB site about HIIT called "HIIT me again" or something similar, and I wanted to know if it really does work the way the author or this article says it does. I want to find one of the best exercises to use to lose excess fat while retaining muscle mass (which is why, i guess, i was intruiged by this exercise). Also, will doing HIIT help with my endurance/stamina for sports?

carlossalsa8
03-23-2005, 01:57 PM
HITT will definately work, in my opinion. But remember dat the way you eat will determine the way you look. Just eat right and exercise. And Yes doing HITT will help to get endurance and get stamina for soccer, football, etc. of course it depends on how you do HITT ( longer time ). If you want endurance and stamina try to do HITT for more than 30 minutes. It worked for me. But you can start with less and up the time every two days.

Machher
03-23-2005, 02:45 PM
HIIT and Max-OT cardio definately have a great effect on your VO2 max. Especially if you are just beginning intense training.

In terms of fat loss im not sure how much Max-OT helps but HIIT definately does.

JBrehm
03-23-2005, 02:57 PM
ok, well... how often should I do HIIT? should I do it on weight days or non weight days? When during the day would it be most effective? (effective being losing weight, right now I want to lose weight more than I want to build up my running endurance) I was thinking of doing sprinting/walking (walking until I'm strong enough to jog). How long should I sprint before i start walking? Sorry for all the questions, it's just when I'm new to something, I often ask a lot of questions so that I know exactly what I'm doing or talking about. So I'm sure I'll have more q's. O... What's interval? (stupid q, humor me)

JBrehm
03-23-2005, 02:59 PM
ok, one more thing, I'm a complete newbie to serious weight lifting. I've been doing basic weight lifting for 4 years (bench press, chin ups, bicep curls, just all the basics) and so I don't know really anything of these terms you guys are using. So, do you think you could either use laymans terms or explain what these technical terms are/mean?

Bohizzle
03-23-2005, 04:07 PM
i would do HIIT once a week, and if u are sure that u are not overtraining twice a week. I'd also suggest doing in the morning AFTER food (preferably some carbs i beleive.. not positive on that), not directly after cuz that might cause you to puke. And doing it in the morning raises the amount of calories burned throughout the rest of the day as well. Sprinting/walking is fine, the times that i have experimented with HIIT it was with that combo, once you can jog in between sets, do so. Depending on how strong of a runner you are u can do many different intervals and for long or short amounts of time. When i did it (because i was unfit) i did 12 seconds of sprinting and a minute of walking. and the interval is the time u are either doing sprints or walking. hope that helps

Andrew

JBrehm
03-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Thanks, that does help. I was thinking of doing HIIT twice a week. I do the WBB1 routine with the workouts on monday wednesday and friday, I was thinking of doing HIIT on Monday and Friday in the morning (skipping wednesday cause it's legs day). Whatcha think?

Bohizzle
03-23-2005, 05:20 PM
i'd do it on an off day, and then if u think u can handle it on an on day, then go for it, but i found it too taxing to do on a day that i was planning a workout. hth.

Andrew

JBrehm
03-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Good point, hmm.... Ok here's my schedual.. Monday- chest/back/abs Tuesday-rest Wednesday-Legs/abs Thursday-rest Friday-Shoulders/arms/abs Saturday-Sunday-rest.

When would be the best time[s] to do HIIT? And should I do some other kind of cardio if I'm doing HIIT once a week?

Bohizzle
03-23-2005, 05:45 PM
ok first things first, ur doing too much direct ab work, abs are like any other kind of muscle they only need to be worked 1-2 times per week, any more than that and ur beginning to overtrain. and as for when u should do it, i think saturday would be a good time to do it and then u should be recovered for ur leg workout. hth, and i don't think u need any other kind of cardio with HIIT, well technically, u don't need any cardio, but if ur gunna do cardio, stick with HIIT.

Andrew

JBrehm
03-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Ok, I'll readjust my schedual for the abs and the HIIT, thanks.

Mike G
03-23-2005, 05:51 PM
http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit_table.asp
This site gives you a good example. For the best fat loss do it in the morning before you eat. You burn more stored fat that way and it does boost your metabolism for the day. I have heard a lot of people say they only do hiit once a week. I am just starting so I don't know if three times a week is too much yet.

Bohizzle
03-23-2005, 05:56 PM
3x a week is too much. The reason i said after breakfast is because I believe it catabolizes more muscle mass than if u had food in you once you go through your glycogen stores but i am not sure on that. i suggest both of u use the search function and i'm positive u will find a definitive answer from more experienced members. hth.

Andrew

Mike G
03-23-2005, 06:15 PM
3x a week is too much. The reason i said after breakfast is because I believe it catabolizes more muscle mass than if u had food in you once you go through your glycogen stores but i am not sure on that. i suggest both of u use the search function and i'm positive u will find a definitive answer from more experienced members. hth.

Andrew
I have done searches and talked to several trainers about when to do cardio and they all say before you eat. This is just one article.
http://www.intense-workout.com/cardio.html
I also think if you follow the chart then three times a week isn't too much. You only start at 4 minutes and gradually work up to 15. If you were doing 30+ minute sessions then three might too much depending on what kind of shape you were in. Three times a week may have been too much for you and may be fine for someone else.

Bohizzle
03-23-2005, 09:10 PM
valid points.

JBrehm
03-24-2005, 12:11 AM
so twice a week before i eat anything?

Mike G
03-24-2005, 09:32 AM
Frequency you'll have to see what you can do. I think before you eat is optimal.

galileo
03-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Four years of lifting and your bench press is 120?

Mike G
03-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Four years of lifting and your bench press is 120?
Good question. Not trying to be a dik, but what routine do you do?