PDA

View Full Version : increase bench!!

ozzyman
03-23-2005, 09:51 PM
I would just like to say that I have been messin around with my hand position on my bench and have added 20 lbs in the last 3 weeks..... All i did was instead of placing my hands just inside the outside rings I placed my pinky finger or ring finger on the ring and my bench went up..... i guess I should have tried something like this a while ago..... does this make sense?? A simple 1-2 inch slide of the hand could help my bench this much?

Sidior
03-23-2005, 11:48 PM
i just recently changed the way I gripped the bar....I moved my hands a bit and also i hold it much tighter, so I believe it can make a huge difference

Sidior
03-23-2005, 11:49 PM
oh ya forgot to mention this made my incline bench go up about 15lb or so...

pinky8713
03-24-2005, 12:08 AM
This is worth a try for me. I hold the bar just inside the outer rings. I'll try putting my pinky or ring finger on the outer ring and see if that helps at all. Hopefully my bench will go up 20lbs :)

ryuage
03-24-2005, 05:10 AM
maybe that little move of your hands increaed the utilization of different muscle ie. more triceps and more shoulder involvement.... who knows

galileo
03-24-2005, 10:06 AM
It's also quite different for different people as we're all built different. I'd continue to experiment until you find the best grip for you, which you may have already done.

I'd be cautious with the narrower grip, because you might not get the bar all the way down to your chest.

Gutz981
03-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Man I have been told I have a rather wide grip...I put my middle finger around the ring...what about you guys?

EHSathlete
03-24-2005, 11:54 AM
Yeah, i widened my grip a bit and my bench went up. I think it's since there's a wider grip, you have less distance to go up and down, know what i mean?

ryuage
03-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Man I have been told I have a rather wide grip...I put my middle finger around the ring...what about you guys?

my whole hand is outside the ring

aidano
03-24-2005, 01:07 PM
Yeah I would think that the whole hand being outside the rings is a wide grip. Anything else isn't. Of course that depends on the length of your arms and how high the bar is sitting at rest.

EHSathlete
03-24-2005, 06:00 PM

I put my midle finger on the ring too.

MiamiBallin69
03-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Oh man thanks I'm going to try that tommarow and see if it helps never tried it before but I sure hope it helps me out a little :thumbup:

ozzyman
03-25-2005, 07:12 AM
Just INFO This wasnt like a over night thing.... my bench had been stuck for about a month or so and so i tried fooling around... I noticed when i moved my hands out like I did I was able to do more reps than usual so I started adding weight and within three weeks it's up 20 lbs.... hoping on monday I can add some more :)

KingJustin
03-25-2005, 09:00 AM
Given my wingspan (about 6'7), I use a pretty narrow grip. My ring finger is usually on the ring. I remember BenchMonster told me to constantly keep a narrow grip until I compete in a powerlifting competition because it will help me vastly improve my triceps.

JAROD
03-25-2005, 01:33 PM
wow if it can take you up 20lbs then im trying it tonight i need an extra 20lbs on bench.

pfc3rex
03-29-2005, 10:29 AM
its just the bar has less of a distance to move most likely.

Gutz981
04-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Well where you put your hands on the bar prolly could have a great effect like Ryuage said May involve more tricep or shoulder...Personally I might mess with my haand placement a bit

jack_of_all
04-08-2005, 08:11 PM
i get my best results with my hands nearly an inch inside the ring. i have short arms (im a short guy) but this is still a slightly close grip (i think my tricep involvement helps alot in this position)

@ Gutz981: if you have said this before, i forgot/wasnt around, why is your bench your biggest of the big 3? is something up with your legs? also, is that avatar of yours from some anime kinda cartoon, because the other day i was walking along in blockbuster and BAM i saw that staring me in face off the cover of something (i managed to forget the title)

thetopdog
04-08-2005, 09:15 PM
@ Gutz981: if you have said this before, i forgot/wasnt around, why is your bench your biggest of the big 3? is something up with your legs? also, is that avatar of yours from some anime kinda cartoon, because the other day i was walking along in blockbuster and BAM i saw that staring me in face off the cover of something (i managed to forget the title)

Well he's 14 years old, I'm sure he just started out, maybe he just started working legs. Things kind of even themselves out after you've been working out for a while and you get to heavy enough weight

jack_of_all
04-09-2005, 10:13 AM
im 15 and started proper lifting this year, before that i had never trained legs but they were still much stronger than arms. gutz: did you do alot of benching before you added leg work? because for anyone who is pretty new, thats a great bench.

spencerjrus
04-09-2005, 01:41 PM
my whole hand is outside the ring

same, I have a horrible bench though lol.

Maki Riddington
04-09-2005, 02:08 PM
I would just like to say that I have been messin around with my hand position on my bench and have added 20 lbs in the last 3 weeks..... All i did was instead of placing my hands just inside the outside rings I placed my pinky finger or ring finger on the ring and my bench went up..... i guess I should have tried something like this a while ago..... does this make sense?? A simple 1-2 inch slide of the hand could help my bench this much?

This is a common occurance in people who bench with their chest. Moving the hands in simply allowed the triceps to be utilized to a greater degree during the drive up phase.

el_cangri_17
04-10-2005, 05:33 PM
well i increased my bench doing reps of 315 grabbing the bar widder, it helps for me

ozzyman
04-10-2005, 06:07 PM
This is a common occurance in people who bench with their chest. Moving the hands in simply allowed the triceps to be utilized to a greater degree during the drive up phase.

Yeah well I moved them out so I guess I used more chest than normal?

Maki Riddington
04-11-2005, 03:27 PM
Yeah well I moved them out so I guess I used more chest than normal?

Generally speaking, yes.