PDA

View Full Version : Vodka...

Gutz981
03-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Will drinking vodka affect my training at all? I never looked at the back of the bottle...I'm talking cal. wise here...I mean excluding the hangovers and other stuff...

greekboy80
03-24-2005, 11:39 AM
dude...your 14!

lay off the alcohol.

thats my advice to you.

jAy_Dub
03-24-2005, 11:39 AM
It definately wont help your progress. As long as you keep it to a minimum, it wont affect it much, it may some what tho.

jAy_Dub
03-24-2005, 11:42 AM
dude...your 14!

lay off the alcohol.

thats my advice to you.

Lol I didnt even notice your age. But ya you can atleast wait a couple more years before you start doing that...

Slim Schaedle
03-24-2005, 11:44 AM
7 Calories per gram

AKraut
03-24-2005, 11:47 AM
Everyone is going to tell you that someone serious about training would lay off alcohol completely. I'm 20, and drinking on weekends is part of my lifestyle. While for general health it would obviously be better to never drink, I think you can still drink in moderation and keep a relatively stable and effective diet. A 1.5 oz shot of vodka, rum, gin, or any 80-proof liquor has 100 calories. While it might not seem bad, that's 100 EMPTY calories, since alcohol isn't an essential nutrient. The real trouble with drinking lies in dehydration, binge eating, and sugary mixers like juice and soda.

Me personally, I'll drink maybe 4 or 5 rum&diet coke which adds up to maybe 500 calories total but only do it once or twice per week and try to eat lighter in that day to compensate. You will only get out what you put in, the more disciplined you are the better your results will be.

Gutz981
03-24-2005, 11:58 AM
I guess...and yeah im only 14...I dont do it everyday or anything its just on the occasion...and I don't like it very much anyway just ot take the edge off and I'd rather have a protein shake anyday...

Sidior
03-24-2005, 12:32 PM
take the edge off? for what bro, your still 14

galileo
03-24-2005, 12:41 PM
LOL! I'm sure life is really tough when you're 14.

Jilla82
03-24-2005, 01:31 PM
dude...working out aside, you dont need to be drinking at 14. Why are you drinking so young? whats the problem?

Zearoth
03-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Don't drink. Eat, sleep, train, do your school work, and drink your protein shakes. Alcohol isn't good, especially at 14.

I don't drink, I personally can't stand the stuff.

tholian8
03-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Everyone is going to tell you that someone serious about training would lay off alcohol completely.

I don't think that's necessarily true for everyone. It depends on what your goals are. If your goal is to compete at an elite level, then yeah, alcohol is a bad idea. Other goals may allow some drinking pleasure and even excess, from time to time. ;)

However--Gutz, 14 years old is way young to be thinking about how you are going to work alcohol into your life! It frankly concerns me that you feel the need to ask this question at your age. I'm hoping you asked out of benign curiosity and inquisitiveness, because if you have to be concerned about hangovers at 14, you could be setting yourself up for a drinking problem in future. And trust me, dealing with a drinking problem--your own or someone else's--is a nightmare.

Built
03-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Alcohol actually interferes with protein synthesis. If you're trying for size, I'd lay off the alcohol.

From http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/bigalcohol.htm

Alcohol consumption also hurts muscle growth. Not only due to hangovers lowering your workout intensity, but it actually lowers protein synthesis by 20%. Twenty percent! There are several reasons why it does this. For one, it dehydrates your muscle cells. As many know, hydrated and even over hydrated muscles (like when you take creatine) allows for a much higher anabolic environment. Because your cells aren't holding as much water, it becomes much harder to build muscle. The second reason why alcohol can severely hurt muscle growth is because it blocks the absorption of many important nutrients that are key to muscle contraction, relaxation and growth including calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron and potassium. OK, so I above I lied, there's actually a third way that alcohol slows down protein synthesis, I just wanted to dedicate a big part of this article to it. For those of you that don't already know this, ALCOHOL LOWERS TESTOSTERONE AND INCREASES ESTROGEN!

Blood&Iron
03-24-2005, 02:01 PM
LOL! I'm sure life is really tough when you're 14.
It can be...

Still no reason for him to be drinking.

galileo
03-24-2005, 02:19 PM
It can be...

Still no reason for him to be drinking.

If you're working out and posting on the Internet, I can only assume things are peachy. ;)

tholian8
03-24-2005, 02:21 PM
The second reason why alcohol can severely hurt muscle growth is because it blocks the absorption of many important nutrients that are key to muscle contraction, relaxation and growth including calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron and potassium.

...which explains why I crapped out TOTALLY when I tried to deadlift with a bad hangover. :rolleyes:

Built
03-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Makes sense!

Perhaps try it next time while still hammered. I love working out drunk.

Except for the weird bruises I wake up with the next day...

tholian8
03-24-2005, 02:28 PM
OMG, surely you jest. I would not dare show up drunk to the gym. I'd probably leave in a pine box if I did that--I'm clumsy enough in sober life.

Built
03-24-2005, 02:30 PM
LOL!

Well, I DID do it, once. But you HAVE to understand, "drunk" for me means I scrounged for change in the sofa and bought a girlie-drink. It was pretty much all burned off by the end of my workout.

Big Bas
03-24-2005, 02:56 PM
just think, if you dont drink, and get REALLLLLY buff, you wont even need the liquor to get b1shes by the time ur 16.... then u would rock!

[[[----]]]
03-24-2005, 03:00 PM
lol , take the edge off....thats a good one

Built
03-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Mmmmm - whey martinis...

spencerjrus
03-24-2005, 03:53 PM
Why are you drinking so young?

The majority of people I am friends with started drinking by 12-13 at the latest.

VAHunter50CAL
03-24-2005, 04:12 PM
i guess at 14 when you get sent to jail for drinking u might be able to do sum weights in juvenile detention???? or u can make my next license plate

SDhick
03-24-2005, 04:16 PM
14, forget alcohol start with the herb, only after your workouts though otherwise you might be too lazy, it sure helps gettin the calories though.

JamesBOMB
03-24-2005, 04:19 PM
14 and drinking man your ****ing ******ed.. do you think your cool? well your not, but you are from detroit, the stupidest place in the world. GROW UP

Optimum08
03-24-2005, 04:19 PM
these days kids are starting pretty young...i've heard bout some 13-14 year olds gettin wasted around here....drinkin is verrryyy common when talkin bout my age group (juniors in high school...almost seniors)

Bohizzle
03-24-2005, 04:47 PM
ok, i'm not gunna rag on u cuz i know when ur 14 ur buddies are saying that drinking is cool and **** and they all love it and u should do it too, but seriously, if u don't like it, don't do it. simple as that. u said u didn't like to drink, so why do it? If ur going to insist on drinking, drink beer or low alcohol drinks, don't start off with ****ing vodka man. besides being detrimental to ur gains it will destroy ur liver if u start this early.

Andrew

icanrace
03-24-2005, 05:01 PM
ROFLMAO------14 & vodka

damn kids nowa days

Hockey66
03-24-2005, 06:01 PM
Up in Canada drinking is VERY common at the 14-15 age, though it doesn't help the situation when peoples parents buy it for them. Though kids here do drink, they don't do it all the time, only on occation (parties, etc.)

EDIT: 100 cals per 1.5 oz. shot, eh? I may need to buy me some of that for a bulk. ;) I kid, I kid.

SDhick
03-24-2005, 06:46 PM
14 and drinking man your ****ing ******ed.. do you think your cool? well your not, but you are from detroit, the stupidest place in the world. GROW UP
Whoa I think he gets it with out bashing his home town, what you got against the D man?

Zearoth
03-24-2005, 07:15 PM
Hockey is correct. Too many teens are getting high and wasted. Sad.

HahnB
03-24-2005, 07:18 PM
just ot take the edge off

When I got busted for underage drinking once, I had to take a test that evaluated my drinking habits. One of the signs of a serious alcoholic was someone that drinks to take the edge off lol.

Sidior
03-24-2005, 07:39 PM
ok, i'm not gunna rag on u cuz i know when ur 14 ur buddies are saying that drinking is cool and **** and they all love it and u should do it too, but seriously, if u don't like it, don't do it. simple as that. u said u didn't like to drink, so why do it? If ur going to insist on drinking, drink beer or low alcohol drinks, don't start off with ****ing vodka man. besides being detrimental to ur gains it will destroy ur liver if u start this early.

Andrew
solid point.....but then again this is coming from a guy who used to chug mickeys of vodka lol

Sidior
03-24-2005, 07:40 PM
I mean bohizzle btw, not me....Im a beer man

ReturnedFire
03-24-2005, 08:34 PM
When I got busted for underage drinking once, I had to take a test that evaluated my drinking habits. One of the signs of a serious alcoholic was someone that drinks to take the edge off lol.

what does "take the edge off" mean? :redface:

Collegekid
03-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Your 14 and you bench press 225 lbs? Drink all you want.

Praetorian
03-24-2005, 08:58 PM
alot of people (chicks especially) start drinking around that age in norway. Vodka is not bad cal wise if you drink it pure, it's all the other stuff you mix it with that makes it crap. I have yet to see a 14 old chug down pure vodka.

Jabberwocky
03-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Maybe he has a kid, and thats why he drinks, to take the edge off. Hell, you never know with fourteen year olds today.

spencerjrus
03-24-2005, 09:33 PM
Your 14 and you bench press 225 lbs? Drink all you want.

Can't argue with that.

Bohizzle
03-24-2005, 11:13 PM
just to clarify that i no longer chug mickey's of vodka because i realized i was a stupid idiot, and it was when i was 18, not 14. so still, don't drink vodka.

Andrew

ReelBigFish
03-25-2005, 12:38 AM
I have yet to see a 14 old chug down pure vodka.

You shoulda got in touch with me 3.5 years ago. The first thing i ever drank alcohol wise was vodka and koolaid. Then i would do shots and sometimes just ice and vodka. I was dumb i konw, i just thought it was "cool" but really it's f***ing stupid. I'm glad i stopped but i feel it would have gotten bad some day and i would be like my dad who is half drunk every night. It pisses me off too. Anyways, man don't drink, I know its hard with peer pressure n ****, im still 17 and in high school so i know, but i dont care what others think, I have more important goals than winning a beer chugging contest or fitting in at a party.