PDA

View Full Version : Just HOW important is diet?

WatchThisSpace
03-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Hi, well I see many people who workout, but eat their normal daily intake of food and still gain reasonable muscle. Okay not bodybuilding competition standard but still good gains. You see, I have a HARD time when it comes to intaking protein as I have been advised to avoid tuna fish or any other fish and all I can basically eat is chicken and turkey and they don't come cheap. I do eat reasonably well. I eat loads of brown rice, fruit, vegetables etc. But it's just the protein! I mean, I never want to compete in any shape or form, I just want to alter my shape and gain strength. So anyway, that is my question, how important is specific dietary needs? Thanks Guys.

Built
03-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Diet is probably about 80% of the equation, for bulking OR cutting.

There are more protein sources than tuna, chicken and turkey. How about beef, buffalo, egg whites, cottage cheese, whey...

WatchThisSpace
03-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks for such a speedy reply Built. Wow, I never knew it made up 80% of the whole equation. Do you have any suggestions on how to maybe intake egg whites? Say omlette or something along those lines?

Do you Guys ever have a 'cheat' weekend/day/meal?

Thanks!

Built
03-24-2005, 02:34 PM
I hard boil my eggs, and just strip out the yolks.

I am cutting right now, but not hard. I cheat a bit on the weekends.

galileo
03-24-2005, 02:34 PM
I agree, diet is a very large portion.

Frankster
03-24-2005, 02:40 PM
diet is key... you are what you eat.

Eat tuna.

HahnB
03-24-2005, 02:48 PM
What about whey protein, protein bars, lean beef, etc... Once you know how to train and rest properly, diet becomes 100% of how much you will change your body.

[[[----]]]
03-24-2005, 02:55 PM
I too totally agree that diet has about 80% to do with lifting! Think about all the peeps you see in the gym. Most of them always look the same dont they? Probably because they skip breakfast, go to the gym, then eat a meximelt for lunch and a tv dinner for dinner.

WatchThisSpace
03-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks for everyones' input.

How often and how many grams should I eat of Protein? I weigh 151lbs. How often should I eat? I always get the portions wrong and either eat too little or too less.

I cannot eat protein bars, whey etc. Long story.

I don't mind eating eggs, but how many a day is the question. I could probably eat two chicken breasts a day - containing around 23g each.

Please help out. I have no idea how to start the day or nothing. My mind is blank.

Sidior
03-24-2005, 05:04 PM
try to get a gram per pound so 151gs of protien a day...also try to take some in right after a workout
spread your meals out every couple of hours
to start your day get some protein into your system along with some carbs, maybe some hard boiled eggs (like what built said) and eat maybe two whole and another 2 just eat the whites...something along those lines would work

Geeper
03-24-2005, 07:13 PM
try to get a gram per pound so 151gs of protien a day...also try to take some in right after a workout
spread your meals out every couple of hours
to start your day get some protein into your system along with some carbs, maybe some hard boiled eggs (like what built said) and eat maybe two whole and another 2 just eat the whites...something along those lines would work

Read the sticky in diet called "what a bodybuilder eats" and print it off, there are a TON of good ideas in there.

A gram of protein per pound is about right and try to eat 5-6 times a day. A lot of us here use fitday.com to track our food, we figure out how much we are going to eat, divide that by how many meals and have a rough idea how big each meal should be.

Protein first thing in the morning is pretty important. Too bad about the whey.... there are soy protein drinks (although I'm not a fan of soy). Keep your carb complex, meaning as little processing as possible and avoid startchy carbs, quick oats and brown rice are probably the best 2.

I've known guys who eat what ever they want and they gain pretty fast at first (as most beginners do) then they plateau early and never move past that and wonder why. Food is the #1 thing once you pass the beginning stages, anyone can lift weights and anyone can learn proper techniques but it's the guys and girls eating right that get the results. A lot of people also don't like to admit that they really do watch what they eat.... honestly. My first few months in the gym and all the big guys claimed they ate whatever they wanted, by the 6th months or so they were "admitting" to protein shakes, and by the end of the year we were trading recipes for clean treats. I think it's just that in a culture fueled by crap and a society fueled by convinience and large portion sizes they didn't want to come off as different.

Sorry for the ramble.... BTW I cheat every sunday, anything I want all day, lost 85 pounds of fat in the last year! Cheats won't kill ya

WatchThisSpace
03-25-2005, 02:14 AM
Thanks a lot Sidior. I was thinking of maybe having say one chicken breast with three meals and maybe 4 eggs in each meal for the last two meal. With maybe salad or vegetables. I am really interested in cutting. I know I have muscle underneath (very little but some) and I would love to see it within the year. I am like 2 stone overweight and could do with losing fat even if little muscle is lost.
What would you say to how many carbs I should intake daily? I'd like to keep my carbs low, but I am not sure if that's the way to go. I have a rice maker, so that's not a problem.

Geeper, wow, congratulations on such a big weight loss! I'm stunned! What ratio did you use when it came to protein:carbs:fat ? I am thinking of doing 15 minutes of cardio after every weights session and on the day which I only do cardio I do 30 minutes of it. I do not work out on weekends. So I do cardio 5 days a week.

If I do this right, I'll definitely have a cheats day.

Cheers you two.
Sarah.

EDIT: I've just read about how I have to eat before and after workout. I like the sound of brown rice before and a potato after. These don't count as a meal, or do they?

Geeper
03-25-2005, 05:34 AM
Geeper, wow, congratulations on such a big weight loss! I'm stunned! What ratio did you use when it came to protein:carbs:fat ?

I usually do a 40/40/20 p/c/f

WatchThisSpace
03-26-2005, 11:26 AM
What would you say to this?

Well I 'officially' begin on Monday. I am thinking of eat 5 meals a day, most of which are 3 hours apart.

Meal One
1 Chicken Breast, 50g of brown rice.

Meal Two
4 Egg Whites, 50g of brown rice.

Meal Three
Same as Meal One

Meal Four
Same as Meal Two

Meal Five
You guessed it... Same as Meal One.

Actually, I've noticed that it sounds really stupid.
What would you suggest I changed? How many litres of water would you suggest I drink?

Sarah Louise.

ozzyman
03-26-2005, 11:42 AM
yah would need some fat in there..... some olive oil, all natural peanut butter.... add the fats in the evening meals and cut out the carbs..... just my thoughts.....

CarlP
03-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Drink all the water you want. Lots of it.

scrutdada
03-26-2005, 01:01 PM
my favorite quote is "lifting is 90% nutrition and 10 % nutrition" by some old dude, who i think is right. for me, my success is only because of my diet. i have been lifting for three years now, but only in the last 9-12 months have i taken diet seriously, and it has payed off. i used to just go to the gym and lift, eat whatever i wanted and never made progress, now that i eat properly, i can gain or lose whenever i want/need to. however, for the lucky genetic freaks, it isnt like that. i have a kid i lift with who eats whatever the hell he feels like and is still in top shape. he was an all american swimmer/water polo player in high school, and even after a two year hiatus from lifting still had a better six pack that most anyone ive ever seen. hes just lucky.

TheGimp
03-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Like ozzy says you definitely want some fat in there; take some fish oil capsules and drizzle some olive oil over your rice. I'd also add some veggies personally.

Vitalize
03-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Hi Sarah
I used to live in England, and to counter the chicken breast being too expensive problem..try to find an Iceland (somerfields are also good) and buy bags of 6-7 frozen chicken breasts...this is a cheaper way to get them..also look out for special offers in the paper.
1 BIG bag used to cost about 4-5 pounds..not sure about now though?
Good luck with your goals.

WatchThisSpace
03-27-2005, 04:20 AM
ozzyman: Just wondering which of the evening meals I should cut out the carbs? I want to have my last meal around 7pm. I'll buy some olive oil. Should this be the only source of fat that I intake?

CarlP: I've heard that a bodybuilder need around 1 to 2 gallons a day, surely this isn't a must is it? And then I hear that you have to space your fluid intake. Drinking 15 minutes before a meal and an hour afterwards. :scratch:

scrutdada: I am sure it'll all collapse in for your friend when he gets on a bit. :thumbup: I'll definitely take that quote into account though.

TheGimp: What are fish oil capsules? Are they just like any other vitamin tablet?

Vitalize: I shop at Morrisons and went yesterday and for 3/4 chicken breasts in a packet cost 4.99!! I bought two and I will have to go shopping again in a couple of days. I have no idea where the nearest Iceland is though, will definitely look out for one, or ask around.

The official bodybuilders diet begins tomorrow! It's a day of indulgence today, since it's Easter Sunday, and I cannot wait to get started tomorrow. So do you guys think my eating plan is alright? I think my main success will be the fact that I know exactly what I am eating and when. The varied diets don't really work for me too well because it gives me more choice and I can go off the rails easily. I am planning on having a cheat day every Sunday, just so I can keep my sanity. I won't totally pig out though, still 5 meals but just not exactly healthy foods.

What do I eat before I workout? Should I have one of my five meals or just something to keep my glucose levels up? What about post-workout?

Cheers Guys!!!

CarlP
03-27-2005, 09:55 AM
I hear most people here say try and get a gallon in each day. Just keep some water nearby to sip on all day.