PDA

View Full Version : can someone point me in the direction of a good belt?

GMCtrk
03-24-2005, 11:22 PM
I really have no idea what to look for in a belt. All I know is I don't want to throw my back out doing heavy compound movements. THansk!

Adam
03-25-2005, 01:57 PM
The best belt is an Inzer belt. I beliieve theyc arecalled Forever belts. they are 13mm thick and you can get single/double prong or lever(my favorite)

LaSaga
03-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Do you wear the lever on all 3 lifts?

GMCtrk
03-25-2005, 03:05 PM
The best belt is an Inzer belt. I beliieve theyc arecalled Forever belts. they are 13mm thick and you can get single/double prong or lever(my favorite)

Do you have one of those lever belts? Does it really help on the deadlift (that's what im getting it for)? thanks!

GMCtrk
03-25-2005, 03:44 PM
also, do I want to get the 10mm or 13mm belt?

Adam
03-25-2005, 05:33 PM
13 is 'usually' better.
I have the lever 13mm and love it.
Its pricey, but its built to last, and has lifetime warranty.

GMCtrk
03-25-2005, 05:55 PM
13 is 'usually' better.

I don't plan on competing, but hell, may in the future never know. I just need this belt for my max DL and squat efforts.

Adam
03-26-2005, 04:05 PM
You will probly find it uncomfortable at first if you get the inzer. I can assure you though that once the belt is broken in it is not unconfortable at all.
All of my friends that have used my belt say they will not go back to cheap/flimsy Walmart style belts.

GMCtrk
03-26-2005, 06:06 PM
You will probly find it uncomfortable at first if you get the inzer. I can assure you though that once the belt is broken in it is not unconfortable at all.
All of my friends that have used my belt say they will not go back to cheap/flimsy Walmart style belts.

Cool. I was just wondering, how much gain do you personally get from wearing a belt while DLing? Little Jake was telling me I may see up to 50lbs improvement :help:

Adam
03-26-2005, 07:30 PM
it varies HUGELY on an individual basis.
I used to get maybe 5lbs, maybe nothing. Now i wear it more frequently in training and i get probly 10lbs.

fixationdarknes
03-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Hey Adam, I was just wondering...

If I don't plan on ever competing, is there any reason to buy a belt, bench shirt, suit, or any of that power equipment on Inzer's website? Will any of the equipment actually help me gain more for my own personal wants and needs? Or are they all strictly for only competing purposes and that's it?

Adam
03-26-2005, 08:20 PM
They are 'mainly' for competiting purposes.
A belt is supposed to be for safety, that is debateable.
a shirt is supposed to help shoulders and pecs, again debateable.
Squat suit is to releive pressure from hips, I find this the most dramatic in terms of effectiveness. If your hips are fine though, i see no reason(unless competeing)
And knee wraps, again as the rest, highly debateable.
Having said that i wear a belt, wraps, and suit in meets. The suit is the only peipce of equipment I wear for safety reasons.
Squat shoes are IMO an exception to this rule and should be worn by any lifter while squatting/deadlifting.

biggimp
03-26-2005, 11:03 PM
i would give myself a hernia dl'ing without a belt. go to bodybuilding.com and get the "power up belt" its $20.00 and you get it in about 3 days at longest.

fixationdarknes
03-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Adam, what is the reason that the shoes are so important? The price is kind of expensive here (http://www.inzernet.com/search_results_powershoes.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamCat=9&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&iLevel=1) at $115.

Gutz981
03-27-2005, 11:47 AM
Man all shoes do is give you support and ankle support so you dont lean wrong and snap em when squating or deading...

BigRic
03-27-2005, 12:12 PM
They look like my iversons.

Adam
03-27-2005, 03:21 PM
shoes are important for the reasons given above. Ankle support and solid sole.
I have Asics wrestling shoe's. They were only 70bucks Canadian.
Inzer ones are probly better but these fit my budget.

GMCtrk
03-27-2005, 03:28 PM
shoes are important for the reasons given above. Ankle support and solid sole.
I have Asics wrestling shoe's. They were only 70bucks Canadian.
Inzer ones are probly better but these fit my budget.

I used to wrestle in high school, and how can you say wrestling shoes have ANY ankle support? They are flimsy! I would much rather use a basketball shoe if you wanted ankle support

Isaac Wilkins
03-29-2005, 04:49 AM
Get some old school Converse Chuck Taylors. They're one of the more common shoes used by powerlifters (along with wrestling shoes) because of the support and flat sole. I like my Chucks. They're usually pretty cheap, too. I paid around $30.00US for mine.

GMCtrk
03-29-2005, 05:25 AM
Get some old school Converse Chuck Taylors. They're one of the more common shoes used by powerlifters (along with wrestling shoes) because of the support and flat sole. I like my Chucks. They're usually pretty cheap, too. I paid around $30.00US for mine.

hmm, shoes don't seem to be a problem for me.....just wearing some low AF1's. Never had any support issues.

pfc3rex
04-01-2005, 10:22 AM
13 is 'usually' better.

lifetime warranty, never can go wrong with that!

Carpe-Diem
04-04-2005, 04:38 PM
I use Adam's Inzer lever lock belt whenever he comes home on the weekends, I always make sure its my deadlift day. The first week he came home I deadlifted 385 with his belt, the next week I tried it I failed it thats with the flimsy velcro belt supplied by the YMCA, the week after that I got 385 again with the flimsy velcro belt. The next week adam was home again, Put his belt on after doing 385 and got 405, then I upped it and got 425. 30lb jump. As soon as I can get the money I'm getting one, the lever seems like its a little grindy on the hips doing squats, Adam probably grinded his down over time. lol. Awsome for deadlifts though.

Hey Adam, think I should buy a pair of Chuck's for the gym ?

GMCtrk
04-04-2005, 11:14 PM
I use Adam's Inzer lever lock belt whenever he comes home on the weekends, I always make sure its my deadlift day. The first week he came home I deadlifted 385 with his belt, the next week I tried it I failed it thats with the flimsy velcro belt supplied by the YMCA, the week after that I got 385 again with the flimsy velcro belt. The next week adam was home again, Put his belt on after doing 385 and got 405, then I upped it and got 425. 30lb jump. As soon as I can get the money I'm getting one, the lever seems like its a little grindy on the hips doing squats, Adam probably grinded his down over time. lol. Awsome for deadlifts though.

Hey Adam, think I should buy a pair of Chuck's for the gym ?

SWEET....So you think if i can pull 415 completely raw, I could hit 455 with that belt?

Carpe-Diem
04-05-2005, 03:26 PM
SWEET....So you think if i can pull 415 completely raw, I could hit 455 with that belt?

Well I'm not firmiliar with your form or lifting ability in anyway whatsoever, so I'm not going to go say something thats gunna see you end up with a pulled back. But this is what has worked for me, I'm just starting out though so my gains are very unpredictable and quite possibly psychological (I was very psyched up that day). Everyone is different, but these belts are awsome!

Chuck

fixationdarknes
04-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Well I'm not firmiliar with your form or lifting ability in anyway whatsoever, so I'm not going to go say something thats gunna see you end up with a pulled back. But this is what has worked for me, I'm just starting out though so my gains are very unpredictable and quite possibly psychological (I was very psyched up that day). Everyone is different, but these belts are awsome!

Chuck

Wait. You're just starting out and you hit 425? Crazy.

fixationdarknes
04-20-2005, 09:10 PM
13 is 'usually' better.

Hey, Adam, what do you mean by it's 'usually' better? I'm 5'6" and 149 lbs. Would there be any reason to get the 10 over the 13?

I forgot about this thread before and forgot to buy a belt. I really want one right now. Btw, Adam, what color is your belt? I can't decide which color is the coolest. :cool:

Guido
05-09-2005, 02:35 PM
I have to agree on going with the Inzer. I tried it for the first time on Friday (my first time using any belt) and went up 30lbs on my deadlift! It was the 13mm double pronged. Very comfortable. I plan on getting one ASAP.

drew
05-10-2005, 08:01 PM
IMO, the BEST belt you can use is the one you were born with. If you think a belt is going to prevent a back injury, please please please do not use a belt. Because you'll probably sustain a back injury.

Personally, I've given up on belts a long time ago. I find that it gets in the way and my weights actually go down as a result.

Orange357
05-23-2005, 01:25 PM
I just bought my first inzer, while I also have a generic style lifting belt, anyone have any tricks to breaking it in(in addition to use-i.e. baseball glove under the mattress)

Eric_Yager
05-26-2005, 07:45 PM
The best belt you can wear are your spinal flexors, abdominal muscles, and upper back muscles. The only thing a belt does is provide for you what you lack in those muscles, or else it helps to hold on a bench shirt or power suit.

If you really have to get a belt..which I don't see why you would..just go to dick's and get the cheapest one you see that gives you some support. Getting an inzer belt is pointless for recreational lifting because they won't give you anything you can't get out of a cheapo belt..but my advice would be to work core exercises, nobody needs a belt..its not like they protect against anything anyways (as someone said). They kinda go in the same category as knee wraps..they don't do anything but people use them to try to push more weight.

Eric_Yager
05-26-2005, 07:46 PM
I just bought my first inzer, while I also have a generic style lifting belt, anyone have any tricks to breaking it in(in addition to use-i.e. baseball glove under the mattress)

Whoops, I was too late...

nah, stick with use, that way it gets broken in with your lifting style.

WBBIRL
05-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Ive heard belts can prevent hernias.. either way I have a cheapo walmart one and yea.

GMCtrk
05-26-2005, 09:52 PM
well guys I got my Inzer belt...holy **** this thing is built LIKE A TANK....I have the lever thing all set up and the belt is really nice and snug....I couldn't bend my back if I tried all day. I haven't deadlifting in a couple months becuase i went to 415 raw but didnt want to injure antying becuase I was rounding my back slightly....well see how much this belt helps my deadlift

giblit
05-27-2005, 06:08 PM
i just got my black leverlock 13mm thick belt yesterday and that sucker is STIFF!! i need to break it in some.

Eric_Yager
05-27-2005, 07:47 PM
becuase I was rounding my back slightly

Which way were you looking? I've found that I can keep my back in correct alignment (once I got my form correct of course) when I looked up during the lift. I actually recently quit using a belt when I lift just because I want to get my lifts up without anything except clothes and shoes first before worrying about compensation.