PDA

View Full Version : I eat relatively clean, but I'm not seeing results

heatwave345
03-25-2005, 01:13 AM
Hey

I try to hit the gym about 3-5 times per week and my workouts usually consists of 30-40 mins of lifting and 15 mins of cardio and i usually rotate days for legs, chest/shoulders, and back/bis for lifting.

Also I consider myself to eat relatively clean for a college kid. Like today, here's what I ate, which is pretty much a good representation of what I nornally eat:

9 AM
Coffee w/ 1 package of half and half

10:30 AM
2 cups skim milk
Half a Multigrain bagel w/ pb (normal kind) on it

2:30 PM
The other half of the bagel w/ pb on it
1 cup OJ
some skittles and chips (a handful each)

3:30PM
Some honey nut shredded wheat

Workout

5:00PM
Half a powerbar

6:00PM
@ dorm dining hall
Baked chicken breast - no skin
mashed potatoes w/ graph - 2 scoops
bbq baked beans - 1 scoop
salad (1 egg white, tomatoes, lettuce, cottage cheese, cucumber)
1 cup OJ
1 cup skim milk

10PM
1 package instant oatmeal (maple brown sugar flavored)
some more chips

1AM
container of yogurt

Of course, i'm only human and some days (like maybe once a week) i share a late night pizza w/ roomates but i don't do it very often.

As for my goals, i don't want to get super buff or anything, just more toned...

thanks

spanky33
03-25-2005, 01:55 AM
what's up.
please drop us some numbers.
ht, wt, bf if u know, stuff like that.

Hockey66
03-25-2005, 02:03 AM
"Of course, i'm only human and some days (like maybe once a week) i share a late night pizza w/ roomates but i don't do it very often."

That will get you results quicker than what you're eating now. If your goal is mass you need to eat WAY more, if you can get all the calories clean thats great, but pizza and weight gainer, etc. helps. Try starting at ~4000 cals. and If you dont gain weight bump it up to 4500 then 5000 until you are steadily gaining. I hope you get the drift.

eddie500
03-25-2005, 02:41 AM
Honestly, thats not such a great diet. Actually pretty bad.
But I know that is sucks having to eat in the dining halls at the schools, you just can't go there 4-5 times a day.

You really have to get at least, in 2 meals a major portion of meat. Like you eat the chicken breast is good, you need to eat another chicken breast in another meal.

If you were eating at least 2 meals a day like your dorm dining hall meal at 6:00.. you would see much better gains.

I would add every day a can of tuna fish before you go to sleep.

Geeper
03-25-2005, 05:31 AM
It's a really bad diet... half and half, pb (normal kind), skittles, chips, honey nut shredded wheat, mashed potatoes, more chips..... there are TONS of people on this board that go to school full time, work part time, hit the gym regularily and eat super clean.

If you want it bad enough there are no excuses

ozzyman
03-25-2005, 07:14 AM
:withstupi

Max-Mex
03-25-2005, 08:27 AM
As for my goals, i don't want to get super buff or anything, just more toned...

thanks

Drop the bodyfat. Count Cals. Join Fitday. Start food journal there. That is all.

EHSathlete
03-25-2005, 08:56 AM
Good. Eat pizza... unless ur cutting or something. Also, I didn't see very much protein in that day. Maybe I just eat tons of it lol.

CiteCollegiale
03-25-2005, 09:08 AM
that is not clean at all

Collegekid
03-25-2005, 10:37 AM
you have a very small amount of protein. that chicken breast is like your only complete protein source all day, along with the small amount of milk

heatwave345
03-25-2005, 08:24 PM
darn

I thought what I eat is healthy...

i mean the I do the pizza at most once a week and i eat like 1 slice. What can I do to improve my diet? I can eat the dorms at most once / day because of my meal plan so i usually just grab something on the go for lunch (i.e. bagel, milk, etc...)

for the person that asked... i'm male , 5'10, 145 lbs

yeah, i'm home now from college for easter break... i'll be able to hit up meijers and do some shopping. so any suggestions would be great!!!

thanks

Built
03-25-2005, 09:05 PM
6 meals a day, 30-40g protein at each meal would be a good start...

heatwave345
03-25-2005, 09:54 PM
i'm at home now and feel it's so much easier to eat clean here

i just made that awersome oatmeal recipe in the recipes forum (1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 cup water, 1 tbsp PB, and some fresh strawberries). Sure beats the instant stuff i have in the dorms! But the thing is... i would never trhy this recipe in the dorm cause i would get like stares from everyone... sigh

IZich
03-26-2005, 12:21 AM
darn

I thought what I eat is healthy...

i mean the I do the pizza at most once a week and i eat like 1 slice. What can I do to improve my diet? I can eat the dorms at most once / day because of my meal plan so i usually just grab something on the go for lunch (i.e. bagel, milk, etc...)

for the person that asked... i'm male , 5'10, 145 lbs

yeah, i'm home now from college for easter break... i'll be able to hit up meijers and do some shopping. so any suggestions would be great!!!

thanks
so obviously he's cutting.. look up the "what a bodybuilder eats" thread up top.

ReelBigFish
03-26-2005, 12:33 AM
i'm at home now and feel it's so much easier to eat clean here

i just made that awersome oatmeal recipe in the recipes forum (1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 cup water, 1 tbsp PB, and some fresh strawberries). Sure beats the instant stuff i have in the dorms! But the thing is... i would never trhy this recipe in the dorm cause i would get like stares from everyone... sigh

Who cares man. If your goals are important to you then don't let a couple weird looks stand in your way.

SpecialK
03-26-2005, 12:57 AM
You are 5'10" 145 and you want to lose weight? I think you need to start eating alot more, but that's just IMO.

Also, like RBF said, you can't worry about what other people think if you really want to succeed at this. I have struggled with this at times too. Just explain to them that in order to get results from lifting weights and such, your diet really needs to be good.

Built
03-26-2005, 01:04 AM
I just smile sweetly, and think to myself "I do it so I won't look like you"...

Then I eat another meal.

Geeper
03-26-2005, 05:00 AM
But the thing is... i would never trhy this recipe in the dorm cause i would get like stares from everyone... sigh

And you don't think people are going to stare and look at you when you are cut and in shape? Who cares what they think anyway?

heatwave345
03-31-2005, 10:04 PM
Hey guys,

i'm trying to clean this diet up as much as possible

Here's what i've did today. Any comments?

9 AM
2 Cups Coffee black

10:30AM
1 Cup Skim milk
1 multigrain toast w/ PB&J spread
1 apple

1 PM (dorm food)
1 bowl Tomato soup w/ veggies in it
1 turkey wrap (~350 Cals)
salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, cottage cheese)
1 egg white
1 cup OJ
1 cp skim

4:30 PM
1 banana
Handful of mini Ritz Bitz PB sandwich
Handful of peanuts
2 cups OJ

7:30 PM
10 thin slices turkey (they're quite small...)
1 cup skim
1 multigrain piece of toast

11:00PM
1 package instant oatmeal (regular flavor)
1 cup milk
Handful of Ritz PB sandwichs

1:00
1 package LF yogurt??? (if I'm hungry)

Please don't be too harsh

heatwave345
03-31-2005, 10:12 PM
oh yeah I workout out from 8pm-9

Canadian Crippler
03-31-2005, 11:09 PM
What are your goals? Do you want to get any bigger?

heatwave345
03-31-2005, 11:55 PM
I'm not trying to gain that much

just trying to do a clean bulk.

Zygote
04-01-2005, 05:52 AM
Hey guys,

i'm trying to clean this diet up as much as possible

Here's what i've did today. Any comments?

9 AM
2 Cups Coffee black

1:00
1 package LF yogurt??? (if I'm hungry)

Please don't be too harsh

Well I'm 88 KG, about 15% BF ,pretty new to training too, I'm trying to bulk clean and this is what I ate today.

Breakfast -

-30g Oats
-60g Whey Protein Shake (2 heaped scoops)
-60g Skim Milk Powder (2 scoops)
-Apple

Mid Morning

-30g Crunchy Natural Peanut Butter (2 Teaspoons)

Lunch

- 60g Whey Protein Shake (2 heaped scoops)
- 120g Skim Milk Powder (8 scoops)

Mid Afternoon

-125g Low Fat Cottage Cheese
-200g of Low Fat Ham
-20ml Light Olive Oil

Post Workout

-120g Skim Milk Powder (8 scoops)

Dinner

-200g Pea / Corn / Carrot mix
-200g Low Fat Ham
-125g Brown Lentils (dry weight)
-1 Potato Medium

Night Cap

-120g Skim Milk Powder

This works for me quite well, can eat and drink it easily. Its the exact number of calories that I burn 3 days of the week (4200) and the other 4 days I'm in a slight calorie overdose.

Everyone is different but you should probably work out your maintenance caloric total and try to aim for at least that rather then do it haphazardly because its really easy to be eating a shedload less then you think you are heh.

P.S skim milk is way cheaper then whey and is really easy to drink so if you could buy a bunch of that and drink lots per day it might help to substitute calories and protein that your not getting due to your college lifestyle.

Zygote

Vapour Trails
04-01-2005, 09:24 AM
First Lesson: Eating clean has nothing to do with seeing results. In fact, if anything it hurts.

wrestlemaniac
04-01-2005, 10:13 AM
first thing you should do is eat something solid too. 2 cups of coffee probably doesn't have very much protien. Try like... half a cup of oats and some whey. Or if you don't have any powder maybe some eggs... or I dunno, just something. You shouldn't wait an hour and a half to start eating.

spencerjrus
04-01-2005, 11:56 AM
i would never trhy this recipe in the dorm cause i would get like stares from everyone... sigh

people are gonna stare when you get ripped too. are you gonna let what other people think about you stop you lol?

danlifter
05-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Not enough protein.