PDA

View Full Version : CNS in powerlifting/westside

jazer80
03-25-2005, 01:30 PM
i keep reading about this concept of don't do the same exercise for ME weekly because you'll burn out your CNS. yesterday i missed, for the fourth week in a row, a bench of 280 (missed because my spotter grabbed the bar because it 'wobbled'. i was past my sticking point and likely would have made it). naturally i will be trying for a fifth week in a row next week, and i have actually been feeling progression with my ME flat bench every week, although by what i've read i shouldn't be. could anyone explain to me, technically, what this cns failure is all about, and how switching from say, flat bench, to incline would all of a sudden stop this from happening.

Anthony
03-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Everyone will eventually plateau when doing the same exercise every week. Elite lifters plateau sooner than the rest of us. :p

jazer80
03-25-2005, 04:17 PM
oh i know that i'll plateau, and with legs for example, if i kept squatting and adding 5 pounds weekly i'd eventually miss a ME. but i've read on some westside stuff that you'll actually get weaker, like if you 'burn out' your cns you'll regress

Adam
03-25-2005, 05:47 PM
" but i've read on some westside stuff that you'll actually get weaker"
Its over time. like if you kept maxing on squats every weak for 5 months, you will slowly get weaker.

jazer80
03-25-2005, 06:15 PM
thanks for clarifying

jazer80
03-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Everyone will eventually plateau when doing the same exercise every week. Elite lifters plateau sooner than the rest of us. :p
so plateauing is just your CNS failing/burning out?

Anthony
03-28-2005, 04:24 PM
It's a combination of things, CNS is one aspect.

Isaac Wilkins
03-28-2005, 06:48 PM
With a beginning lifter it's recommended (in Westside) to rotate exercises every three weeks. As one advances, cut that down until you rotate ME exercises every week.

I find that I tend to not hit a PR on my third week, so I rotate every two weeks. That's when my CNS starts to fail for working at 90-105% of my max.

jazer80
03-28-2005, 07:22 PM
i guess i'm just not understanding what separates 'CNS failure' from plateauing. i mean it makes sense that you would plateau after a couple weeks, but i don't understand how doing bench press four weeks in a row is so different than 2 weeks bench and 2 weeks wider grip bench, to the point where one way you'll burn out your cns and the other way yo0u don't.

what exactly, like physiologically, is cns failure?

Isaac Wilkins
03-28-2005, 08:28 PM
i guess i'm just not understanding what separates 'CNS failure' from plateauing. i mean it makes sense that you would plateau after a couple weeks, but i don't understand how doing bench press four weeks in a row is so different than 2 weeks bench and 2 weeks wider grip bench, to the point where one way you'll burn out your cns and the other way yo0u don't.

what exactly, like physiologically, is cns failure?

Well, we tend to choose exercises that aren't quite that similar.

Motor patterns utilize specialized neurological pathways. This is why one can get so much stronger so quickly, as the body efficiently develops a motor pattern.

The CNS takes a longer time to recover than muscles do. The transport chemicals get depleted. This is why the damage can add up.