PDA

View Full Version : Gatorade

Mr8
03-25-2005, 03:06 PM
Is drinking gatorade good for u after a workout ( or in general) Its got a lot of sugar but it seems like many people down some gatorade right after their lift.

GMCtrk
03-25-2005, 03:13 PM
THe good kind is the gatorate powder, not the ready made drink, that has sucrose in it.

A dextrose/water mix would be better, or some grape juice

slapshot111
03-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Gatorade has way to mush sugar. I used to drink 1 - 2 a day and I really don't think that much sugar, 42 grams is a bit much.

Optimum08
03-25-2005, 04:42 PM
sometimes if u need a boost before/during a workout people sip gatorade....but post workout u want dextrose or maltodextrin....there is dextrose in powerade powder...but not in gatorade (the actual drink)...best thing would be to buy some dextrose cuz its cheap and is best for the job PWO...

Double D
03-25-2005, 05:02 PM
I dont see what Gatorade is bad after a workout. People recommend eating a post workout shake with whey, dextrose and maltodextrin, and i think the main sugar in gatorade is maltodextrin as far as i remember. Based on that i'd say its good. Its also good to sip on it during workouts as well to keep the energy high during intense workouts. I have a buddy that loves doin that, He sips on 1 litre of gatorade during then post he just has a whey shake, and about an hour later a full meal with carbs.

shansen008
03-25-2005, 06:34 PM
I dont see what Gatorade is bad after a workout. People recommend eating a post workout shake with whey, dextrose and maltodextrin, and i think the main sugar in gatorade is maltodextrin as far as i remember. Based on that i'd say its good. Its also good to sip on it during workouts as well to keep the energy high during intense workouts. I have a buddy that loves doin that, He sips on 1 litre of gatorade during then post he just has a whey shake, and about an hour later a full meal with carbs.

Pre bottled gatorade uses HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, end of discussion. Id drink a coke during my workout before bottled gatorade. You get the HFCS, sodium.....AND.....AND.....CAFFEINE!!!!!

Powdered gatorade is good though.

Slim Schaedle
03-25-2005, 07:00 PM
, 42 grams is a bit much.

Why?

Double D
03-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Pre bottled gatorade uses HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, end of discussion. Id drink a coke during my workout before bottled gatorade. You get the HFCS, sodium.....AND.....AND.....CAFFEINE!!!!!

Powdered gatorade is good though.

Ya, i was talkin about powdered gatorade, not that I actually knew there was a difference, but I always use powdered cuz its cheaper.

Drinkin a coke during a workout is ridiculous. You go against bottled gatorade because of high fructose syrup but you'd drink a coke instead. Coke must have waaaaaaaay more sugar in it. If you want caffeine just have a coffee. And since when is having sodium advantageous??

shansen008
03-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Ya, i was talkin about powdered gatorade, not that I actually knew there was a difference, but I always use powdered cuz its cheaper.

Drinkin a coke during a workout is ridiculous. You go against bottled gatorade because of high fructose syrup but you'd drink a coke instead. Coke must have waaaaaaaay more sugar in it. If you want caffeine just have a coffee. And since when is having sodium advantageous??

OK first off, i was being sarcastic man. Secondly if you look at the nutritional info for a can of coke vs a bottle of gatorade.....there are not really any significant differences. One has caffeine. So all other things being equal...which one would you choose? Keep in mind im playing devils advocate here.

Youre just thinking like my mom when i was a kid..."You cant have chicken for breakfast....what are you doing??!!??" "Why mom?". "Because it isnt a breakfast food!!!". :swear:

As if it matters? Dont fall for marketing dude, all that matters is whats on the ingredient label. Take for instance the new "energy drink" by Mt Dew...i think its called AMP. That stuff is basically Mt Dew with a slightly different flavor marketed for a differnt purpose and market. ITS THE SAME CRAP MAN.

Oh yeah almost forgot....when is having sodium advantageous? Hmm lemme think...when you want to support life? Sodium IS an electrolyte........

We dont need that much of it, and we get enough from whole foods. In fact the average person aonly needs about 250mg/day....athletes about twice that. But in any case i was just making an analogy between coke and gatorade since gatorade markets the sodium in their product as an electrolyte.
:study:

waynis
03-25-2005, 10:45 PM
Lots of sugar + high fructose corn syrup = BAD

Vitalize
03-26-2005, 06:18 AM
I posted about this on another thread.
Here people seem to agree that Corn syrup is in fact, quite bad.
Agreed Gtorade powder is better than bottled (that's not saying much) but honestly...just try to cut it out 100% and try this natural way http://www.silvermedicine.org/gatorade-silver-electrolytes.html
I'm sure it's better and cheaper. :clown: