PDA

View Full Version : what are the best workouts to take your dl up

JAROD
03-26-2005, 09:11 PM
i need alot of help with my deadlift and i need some relly good workouts for it so if you know some good one plz tell me..thanks!

Chrispy
03-26-2005, 09:20 PM
deadlifts. squats. shrugs. glute/ham raise. just train your deadlift hard mostly though.
go in there pumped as hell on your deadlift and don't let anythign distract you. the best way to get better at something is to do it.

but any hamstring,glute, and back excercises will also help. also training abs heavy.

JAROD
03-26-2005, 09:28 PM
if i work out on deadlift should i wear a belt or does it matter right now i do on dls and squats.but thanks for all the help!!

Chrispy
03-26-2005, 10:01 PM
i wouldn't wear a belt unless you feel you absolutely need it. i think wearing a belt takes some (not all) of the work out of your stabalizers/lower back on those excercises. don't wear a belt on all your sets, but i guess on very heavy sets it would be fine. i feel fine going heavy though without a belt, i only wore a belt once when my back was hurting. if you think your good to go i wouldn't worry about a belt.

i also forgot to mention straight legged deadlifts.

Built
03-26-2005, 10:06 PM
Good mornings.

I love those.

JAROD
03-26-2005, 10:11 PM
what are good mornings?? and thanks for the advice on the belt!!!

Built
03-26-2005, 10:12 PM
Good mornings:
http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/GluteusMaximus/BBBentKneeGoodMorning.gif

JAROD
03-26-2005, 10:15 PM
wow those look rough!!! ill have to try them..thanks!!

Built
03-26-2005, 10:21 PM
Start with just the bar to see how they feel. You THINK it's a back exercise, but really, if they're done right, it's the glute, particularly the spot between where the hammie and the glute meet, at least that's how it feels. Go slow on the way down, kinda explosive on the way up. They rock. They're great for getting beyond that sticking point many (me included) go through with squats - you know, "getting out of the hole"...

Mike G
03-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Do a search for westside. You should get some good ideas from that.

GMCtrk
03-26-2005, 11:37 PM
best thing to do is just do deadlifts. Rack pulls are fairly ineffective in my opinion. More of an ego exercise IMO.

Built
03-26-2005, 11:39 PM
I disagree - I really like rack pulls for mid back. My hammies are really strong, and rack pulls take them out of the equation a bit.

Not a sub for off the floor deads, though.

debussy
03-27-2005, 12:10 AM
close stance squats and zercher squats will have some carryover to the deadlift too.

Mike G
03-27-2005, 10:34 AM
best thing to do is just do deadlifts. Rack pulls are fairly ineffective in my opinion. More of an ego exercise IMO.
I have to disagree too. Rack pulls can work weak spots and improve your dead. Eventually doing just heavy deadlifts you will hit a wall and be stuck. Doing other exercises, like rack pulls, help you to keep improving. I have read articles on world class lifters who say they rarely do deadlifts to improve them and work mainly other exercises to strengthen the muscles incorporated in a deadlift.

GMCtrk
03-27-2005, 02:04 PM
I have to disagree too. Rack pulls can work weak spots and improve your dead. Eventually doing just heavy deadlifts you will hit a wall and be stuck. Doing other exercises, like rack pulls, help you to keep improving. I have read articles on world class lifters who say they rarely do deadlifts to improve them and work mainly other exercises to strengthen the muscles incorporated in a deadlift.

you can disagree all you want, but I went from 315 to 405 by eating and doing deadlifts. Dorian Yates once said that upright rows were useless. Does that mean they are useless for everyone? No.

Each person has their own personal tastes on which lifts work for them. Best thing to do is try all the exercises and see what works :thumbup:

JAROD
03-27-2005, 02:52 PM
whats a rack pull??

Built
03-27-2005, 02:57 PM
It's also called a 3/4 dead.

Basically, it's a regular deadlift off the pins. I set 'em at varying heights, from just below my knees to just above. Lower = more hammie, higher = less hammie.

JAROD
03-27-2005, 03:00 PM
what about back exercises?

Built
03-27-2005, 03:01 PM
What about 'em?

JAROD
03-27-2005, 03:07 PM
do they help and if so wich ones?

Built
03-27-2005, 03:15 PM
I would think it has to do with a few different factors.

If you're trying to increase your dead, you'll have to look at your sticking points. If you're looking to make your back prettier, then do more concentrated back work where you need it.

I'm a BB, not a PL - I only care what I look like. The strength comes out as a pleasant and welcome side-effect. That being said, sometimes you have to work on strength to get past a sticking point so you can do the lifts you need for aesthetic purposes - case in point, I've had to add in good mornings because I had a sticking point "getting out of the hole" on squats, and that sticking point was glute activation (a common problem). Good mornings and concentrated quad work seem to have hit the spot. My squats have increased from barely gettin up 35 pounds a side, to comfortably getting up 50 pounds side. Doesn't sound like a lot, but my form is better now, and I'm making gains over this last month that I hadn't been able to make in the year prior.

Bottom line, you've got to decide what are your goals are in answering this question.

JustinASU
03-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Echoing what others have said...rack pulls and GMs are teh awesomest for deadlifting. Rack pulls got me over the hump on each of the big jumps in weight. Before attempting a full conventional deadlift from the ground I always try from the rack first.

JAROD
03-27-2005, 03:28 PM
well im not going for looks im going for strength. and i donno what my sticking points are becuse i can do 220 but cant move 225.and 220 not to hard but 225 is. and i have no idea why i cant get it.

JustinASU
03-27-2005, 04:38 PM
well im not going for looks im going for strength. and i donno what my sticking points are becuse i can do 220 but cant move 225.and 220 not to hard but 225 is. and i have no idea why i cant get it.

Sounds to me like the problem is in your head. If you can move 220 easily you can move 225.

jazer80
03-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Sounds to me like the problem is in your head. If you can move 220 easily you can move 225.
:withstupi

for building up a big deadlift, aside from working on nutrition, focus on the obvious. deadlifts, good mornings, etc. GM's are one of my favorites. Once you know your sticking points you can do rack pulls to target specific areas. i get stuck off the ground when i can't hit something. i am going to start doing dl's while standing on something soon, which should help my really low sticking point.

Mike G
03-27-2005, 06:42 PM
you can disagree all you want, but I went from 315 to 405 by eating and doing deadlifts. Dorian Yates once said that upright rows were useless. Does that mean they are useless for everyone? No.

Each person has their own personal tastes on which lifts work for them. Best thing to do is try all the exercises and see what works :thumbup:
Which was exactly the point I was trying to make. You stated that rack pulls were an ego exercise and I was just saying that I have seen benefits from them. I never said that an exercise was useless, that was you. All I was trying to say was that eventually you will hit a wall when you keep trying to break pr's.

GMCtrk
03-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Which was exactly the point I was trying to make. You stated that rack pulls were an ego exercise and I was just saying that I have seen benefits from them. I never said that an exercise was useless, that was you. All I was trying to say was that eventually you will hit a wall when you keep trying to break pr's.

If you keep eating, you will not hit a wall

JAROD
03-27-2005, 06:58 PM
so from what everone has said to take your deadlift up you can.do GMs,rackpulls,deadlifts,shrugs,glute/ham raise,abs heavy,straight legged deadlifts,and dl's while standing on something.

Mike G
03-27-2005, 07:05 PM
Then the guys who train following Westside are way off, including me. Just because you haven't plateaud doesn't mean it won't happen. You make gains every week on your deadlift? Going heavy? Great for you if you do, most don't. If eating kept the gains coming, then why aren't more people deadlifting 700 or 800 pounds? (used the higher number to emphasize my point). I agree that getting enough calories is very important, but eating doesn't solve all problems. We're not talking about getting bigger, we're talking about getting stronger.

JAROD
03-27-2005, 07:20 PM
can squat suits help on deadlifts??

GMCtrk
03-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Then the guys who train following Westside are way off, including me. Just because you haven't plateaud doesn't mean it won't happen. You make gains every week on your deadlift? Going heavy? Great for you if you do, most don't. If eating kept the gains coming, then why aren't more people deadlifting 700 or 800 pounds? (used the higher number to emphasize my point). I agree that getting enough calories is very important, but eating doesn't solve all problems. We're not talking about getting bigger, we're talking about getting stronger.

maybe becuase gains come very slowly. I only deadlift every 2 weeks, and if one week I hit 2 more reps than before I consider that gaining.

ozzyman
03-27-2005, 08:13 PM
Start doing Deads while standing on a 1-2inch platform.... this will trick your body into thinking regular deads are easier.... I do a few set of deads like this every month...

JAROD
03-27-2005, 08:18 PM
but what about squat suits can the help at all on 1rep???with deadlifts

GMCtrk
03-27-2005, 08:21 PM
but what about squat suits can the help at all on 1rep???with deadlifts

they make deadlift suits, but really deadlift is the only lift of the big 3 that isn't helped much by the suit.

JAROD
03-27-2005, 08:22 PM
well i cant afford a dl suit so i was wundering.becuse i have a squat suit

JAROD
03-27-2005, 08:49 PM
so how many times a week or month should you do dls

Chrispy
03-27-2005, 09:39 PM
i do dl's once a week, but not always heavy. go ahead and try your squat suit and see if it helps at all. i don't know if it will but you might as well try it.

jazer80
03-27-2005, 09:49 PM
i do dl's for a ME exercise once every three weeks, and as an accessory exercise almost weekly in some form or another (sldl's, sumo dl's etc)

JAROD
03-27-2005, 09:51 PM
yeah ill have to do that.and ill start doing my dls once a week.becuse i need it to go up on deadlift!!becuse in meets that is my worst lift.so i need to focus on it more.

pfc3rex
03-28-2005, 03:07 AM
When I do dl's its killing my back, like straining the crap out of it or something. I've worked on my form alot lately, I hope it stops soon. What should I do? Shouldn't you always wear a belt, for safety.. just in case?

pfc3rex
03-28-2005, 03:08 AM
If it's your weakest area, you should have been working on it long ago. Deadlifts are my weakest, and I'm doing the same. Best of luck.

jazer80
03-28-2005, 10:34 AM
When I do dl's its killing my back, like straining the crap out of it or something. I've worked on my form alot lately, I hope it stops soon. What should I do?
read up on form. or better yet,find someone who really knows how to do them who can show you