PDA

View Full Version : An obvious question: Carb consumption

Nicky Santoro
03-27-2005, 02:05 PM
OK, you'll have to forgive me because I'm new to all this. Don't even bother flaming me for being so ignorant, you were all here once...

Would I be correct in saying that eating too much carbs prevents you from gaining muscle?

I'm curious because for lunch every day I eat a meat sandwich, four or five slices of salami and prosciutto, normally on a sub. Would the bread cancel out the value of the protein in the meat?

Also, are there any advantages of brown over white bread in the area of gaining muscle?

Thanks

Built
03-27-2005, 02:10 PM
No, and no.

jazer80
03-27-2005, 02:12 PM
no, carbs are necessary. if you're just concerned with gaining muscle, do not limit your carbs, or you will limit your energy, which will limit your workouts, finally limiting your strength/size gains.

white bread is stripped of most (maybe all?) of it's nutritional value, and is digested very, very rapidly by the body, bringing on a quick rise in blood sugar, and a quick rise in insulin levels. basically it's the idea of a 'sugar high', where you get a quick burst of energy followed by a crash. the insulin / blood sugar levels being elevated lead to increased fat deposits on the body. also because it goes away from your body so rapidly, you are kind of on an empty stomach much more quickly than if you ate a slower digesting (lower GI, or glycemic index, valued) food, like most 'brown' (whole grain, wheat, etc) breads. being on an empty stomach will hurt your muscle gains. you need to always have food in your stomach.

any more q's feel free to ask. also i don't eat those meats you listed but pretty sure they aren't that great. check out this grocery list, very very helpful

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565

Nicky Santoro
03-27-2005, 02:18 PM
What I've read is that carbs are difficult to digest so they take blood to the stomach.

This is supposed to make people feel tired and faint?

I reasoned that this would also have an effect on muscle gain

Built
03-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Carbs are difficult to digest?

This is a broad statement. Dextrose isn't, but raw oat groats might be...

Commercial brown bread isn't usually any better than white bread. The really heavy multigrain/rye stuff IS somewhat better, though.

People often report getting tired after consuming carbs because of the insulin response, and the serotonin release. But this doesn't mean they're hard to digest.

jazer80
03-27-2005, 02:42 PM
Commercial brown bread isn't usually any better than white bread. The really heavy multigrain/rye stuff IS somewhat better, though.

could you explain why only somewhat better. i know most consider white bread to be bad for you, while wholegrain bread is good for you. that seems like a world of difference to me.

Built
03-27-2005, 02:52 PM
If it really is whole grain, then yes. But most are not. It also depends on the degree of processing.

It's still carbs, so it'll still contribute to your macros. I just try to fill up my macronutrients with the most nutrient dense foods I can - yams, oats, wild rice...

You can still use bread as part of your mix if you can afford the carbs and the calories.

shansen008
03-27-2005, 03:10 PM
look at the ingredient label of your "brown bread" if you see the word "enriched" anywhere....drop kick it. just make sure its 100% whole grain. It will say so on the package or ingredients list if it is.

Personally, id just limit all baked goods.

Built
03-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Me too. They're just not nutrient-dense enough for me to be worth the calories, and they're too darned easy to eat.

jazer80
03-27-2005, 04:14 PM
look at the ingredient label of your "brown bread" if you see the word "enriched" anywhere....drop kick it. just make sure its 100% whole grain. It will say so on the package or ingredients list if it is.

Personally, id just limit all baked goods.
they can get real tricky. my gf does our shopping, but last time i went i thought i got whole grain but as soon as i had a bite it was more like flavored/dyed white bread.

shansen008
03-27-2005, 04:16 PM
they can get real tricky. my gf does our shopping, but last time i went i thought i got whole grain but as soon as i had a bite it was more like flavored/dyed white bread.

If it says 100% whole grain, it wil be.....its the law. Just read the ingredients, like i said if it has the word enriched in it....dont buy.

jazer80
03-27-2005, 04:20 PM
i know that now, but i never ever shop. i happened to be there for some random thing and just grabbed bread that said whole grain, i didnt' know i had to be anal and find 100% (i guess i didn't even consider the fact that maybe people would want whole grain bread that isn't 100%). basically i just got tricked because of ignorance, but that won't happen again