PDA

View Full Version : pre/pwo/and ppwo too much?

thajeepster
03-27-2005, 07:01 PM
right now im having my preworkout meal (60g oats/1cup skim/.5scoop whey/apple) 1hr prior to workout, then a shake pwo with 50g oats/banana/1scoop whey, thats followed up about 1-1.5 hrs later by a meal consisting of 230g sweetpotato/100g chicken/1tbsp pb... So basically im asking if its fine to be consuming 200g carbs/100g protein/and about 20g fat in the 3-4 hr period around my workout? This is almost half my daily intake. 1300 out of a 3000 calorie diet.

thajeepster
03-27-2005, 10:46 PM
anyone?

KingJustin
03-27-2005, 10:57 PM
It's ideal to, actually. I usually have:
a normal meal, then an hour after that
pre-workout meal, 15 min. later
workout
post-workout shake/juice, then 30 minutes later
chicken and a bagel, and then 45 minutes after that
another shake with fish/olive oil, glutamine and some cereal, and then in another 45 minutes or so
some eggs or chicken or something.

So, yeah, you're fine.

I think I ripped this off John Berardi, who I'm not even overly fond of (partly because a lot of us here are bigger/leaner than him), but this is echoed by a lot of people.

thajeepster
03-27-2005, 11:24 PM
thanks for the reply, i was just thinking that consuming so much food in a short amount of time might interfere with the digestion and slow it down, which probably isnt ideal around a workout. But I think im gonna stick with what ive got. Thanks :D

ReelBigFish
03-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Yeah you want to have a lot of food around your workout to keep constant supply of energy and to prevent catabolism. remember b-fast and your w/o meals are the most imporant meals of the day.

Collegekid
03-28-2005, 12:33 PM
So basically im asking if its fine to be consuming 200g carbs/100g protein/and about 20g fat in the 3-4 hr period around my workout? This is almost half my daily intake. 1300 out of a 3000 calorie diet.

Well, it may be almost half your daily intake, but it's also 3 meals (if you consider the PWO shake a meal) which is almost half the number of meals you're having a day. So there's no reason why 3 meals shouldn't account for half your calories, especially if its around your workout.

thajeepster
03-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the reps guys, but what do you think about the actual foods im taking in? Are they good sources of energy around my workout?

Collegekid
03-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Looks pretty good. I dunno if I'd that many carbs an hour before a workout just because I'd be way too full to workout, but if it works for you then go ahead. It's all good, clean food, so if it gives you energy for your workout, eat away.

PWO shake....I guess its a matter of personal preference, some people go with malto/glucose and some people go with oats. I'm no expert, so if you're seeing gains with oats/banana keep it up. The next meal after that looks solid.

CarlP
03-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Somewhat on topic here: Today doing squats, I got pretty nauseous and ran to the restroom at the gym to catch my breath and try not to puke. Could this be because of not enough food/calories before my workout? I don't eat nearly as much as jeepster preWO. I usually have a small whey protein shake about 1:30 to 1:45 before my workout. I was also much more hungry than normal after my workout.