PDA

View Full Version : Leptin Levels

HalleluYAH
03-28-2005, 11:20 AM
I have been doing some reading on Leptin levels.

If someone is obese and never exercises, would they most likely have high or low leptin level?

The reason I ask, is while I understand that a refeed can raise leptin levels in the body, I am wondering how we can be certain they are low to begin with.

I need calrification on this. If someone who exercises rarely and eats a ton of starchy cards has a high leptin level, than why should I want to refeed?

I have read the Lyle McDonald interviews, I am wondering if anyone in here has 1st hand experience with manipulating Leptin?

HalleluYAH
03-28-2005, 11:27 AM
I have been doing some reading on Leptin levels.

If someone is obese and never exercises, would they most likely have high or low leptin level?

The reason I ask, is while I understand that a refeed can raise leptin levels in the body, I am wondering how we can be certain they are low to begin with.

I need calrification on this. If someone who exercises rarely and eats a ton of starchy cards has a high leptin level, than why should I want to refeed?

I have read the Lyle McDonald interviews, I am wondering if anyone in here has 1st hand experience with manipulating Leptin?

Pardon my ignorance, but where does insulin sensitivity play into the following scnario? Is it safe to say that eating an additional 500g of cards during a refeed would fill glyc stores before sotring fat? In other words, with insluin production levels being high, will the insulin transport this glucose directly intor the muscle and live glyc stores prior to storing fat; no fat storage at the same time?

Wannabebig: So why exactly is there a spill over after a certain amount of time during the refeed period?

Lyle M: Well, it's that, in the short-term, the body can really ramp up carb burning (oxidation) to compensate for increased intake. So, when you're depleted of glycogen, as you should be going into the refeed, you can really get away with a huge carb intake before you get into trouble with fat gain. If you figure glycogen storage at nearly 10 g/kg over 24 hours (so that 650+ grams for a little guy like me) plus daily caloric requirements (say 2000 cal/day, which is another 500 grams of carbs), that's a ridiculous amount of carbs before you get into real problems with fat storage.