PDA

View Full Version : Question about portions.

dw06wu
03-28-2005, 02:02 PM
On the spaghetti noodles bag it says that one serving is 2oz. Is this before or after cooking? I'm sure it picks up weight when the noodles are boiled, and since I'm starting UD2 on Tuesday I want as much food as I can cram down my throat. If it does happen to be pre-cooked weight, how the hell can I tell after I cook it? It sure seems like a pain in the ass to put each serving in an individual container.

I guess if that was the case, I could boil one 2oz serving and then weigh it afterwards to see how much it actually picks up, then just weigh out that amount each time I wanted a serving. This would actually answer my question, but I was just wondering if anyone knew off the top of their head.

Built
03-28-2005, 02:08 PM
If you're ball-parking, a cup of pretty much any cooked starch has about 40g of carb.

If you're being careful, weigh it raw, then cook it.

dw06wu
03-28-2005, 02:18 PM
If you're ball-parking, a cup of pretty much any cooked starch has about 40g of carb.

If you're being careful, weigh it raw, then cook it.
Thanks. Yeah, like I said, I'm a big boy and I need as much food as I can get. If they mean pre-cooked weight, I dont even want to loose 1-2 bites from the water it picks up.

I hate dieting; I need my FOOD!! This 1700 cal a day business is going to be absolute hell.

JiggaHertz
03-28-2005, 02:20 PM
I usually go by the volume measurement on the packaging if there is one, but I would say the 2oz is dry. When I make a large batch of something, I'll make say 8 servings and put it in a large tupperware container. Then I'll take 1/4th of the container out at a time, so I'm eating 2 servings. It's not exact, but close enough for me.

EJFan
03-28-2005, 02:41 PM
i'm 99% certain that any "dried" food has nutrition stats for its UNCOOKED state. i know this is true of every rice and pasta i've ever gotten.

thajeepster
03-28-2005, 02:55 PM
what i would do is boil say 8 oz at a time, then weigh the whole batch... whenever you want a serving just divide it by 4, and weigh yourself out that much. Simple :D

dw06wu
03-28-2005, 03:08 PM
what i would do is boil say 8 oz at a time, then weigh the whole batch... whenever you want a serving just divide it by 4, and weigh yourself out that much. Simple :D
Good idea - I'm not thinking right today. I want this UD2 to go perfectly according to plan. Thanks everyone.