PDA

View Full Version : Freakish grip

Hazerboy
03-28-2005, 05:18 PM
I did a search and couldn't find a whole lot on getting a better grip.

So my goal is to get a freakish grip for wrestling (I'm notorious for having weak hands). Right now I can only hold on to about 180 pounds or so of weight without using straps (for deadlifts or whatever).

I'm aware that there are several different types of strengths as far as gripping goes, but right now I'm focused on getting that kind of *crushing handshake* so when I'm hand fighting with another wrestler, I'll always win :thumbup:

What you would guys recommend for developing a strong grip? I've tried a lot of different stuff (squeezing a tennis ball, holding two tens/fives in each hand, palms facing you, etc.) But I never really get sore hands from any of this (The only indication I have of having a good hand work out). Would it be better to train forearms a lot too? Would it be best to just hold the bar with a lot of weight on it? How many sets/reps?

galileo
03-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Captains of Crush are a good place to start. Check out http://www.ironmind.com for a lot of great grip accessories!

JustinASU
03-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Static holds, hands down.

Alex.V
03-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Static holds, hands down.

Or hands up!

hahahahaha

ha

heh.

:D

*leaves thread*

MixmasterNash
03-28-2005, 09:16 PM
We see that the shame of having their ass kicked in the NCAA tourney has driven many Duke students somewhat insane. After all, they had been conditioned to expect success after watching Coach K shill for every product known to man all season.

I second grippers (CoC) and static holds, but to develop really useful grappling strength, work with a thick bar, doing holds, deads, rows, pullups, etc., use sand bags for lifting, and do some sledge levering.

Go check out gripboard.com for a lot of good grip stuff.

EHSathlete
03-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Whenever you do a lift that requires you to use your grip, DON'T use straps unless it's too much weight or you can't hold it anymore. Squeeze a tennis ball in both hands each while watchin TV or somthing else. Also, do forearm workouts. It works like a charm. :thumbup:

I wrestle too. I now have an "iron grip"

Hazerboy
03-28-2005, 09:43 PM
what's sledge levering, and how do I use sandbags for lifting? I tried going to gribboards but I have to be a member to even enter, and I couldn't figure out how to sign up. :-p

Hazerboy
03-28-2005, 09:44 PM
No, wait, I'm ******ed. I found it.

PizDoff
03-28-2005, 11:32 PM
Heheh, what they said.

biggimp
03-29-2005, 12:01 AM
usually your hands dont get sore after working grip... so dont expect that. it will be your forearms that get sore.

ozzyman
03-29-2005, 02:25 AM
I know I do fine until my dead lifts and on my last set the weight is usually worked it's way half way down my fingers.... I've been working on my grip strength with static holds and what not but they still get fatigued during my workout....

pfc3rex
03-31-2005, 11:19 AM
At my highschool we didn't even have a wrestling team! I live in the boonies fyi.

conrad900
04-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Clubbells and kettlebells can be major players in grip strength, although the sandbag and sledgehammer route is a little cheaper. Check the clubbell homepage (I don't know the link... sorry), they used to have a great 'articles' section that featured a considerable amount of grip stuff. Bottms up turkish getups with a heavy KB will certainly do wonders.

Brotherofiron
04-03-2005, 10:39 AM
At my highschool we didn't even have a wrestling team! I live in the boonies fyi.

my high school doesnt either....we also do not have our own football team...we have to do a co-op team with another town...

CiteCollegiale
04-03-2005, 01:41 PM
farmer walks

bigpoppapump979
04-03-2005, 01:43 PM
for real grip and forearm stregth, get a bucket, fill it with rice. stick your hand in there and try to get to the bottom. do a couple reps of this every few days and your forearms and grip will be incredible.

idzeroone
04-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Check out professional strongman John Brookfield's website. He bends 60 penny nails, steel bars, rips up phone books, etc. The link to his books are

http://www.samsonscroll.com/books.htm

You can also go to ironmind.com for alot of free tips on increasing hand strength.

idzeroone
04-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Here's a link to ironmind's site map. Go about half way down the page for the grip tips.

http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/opencms/IronMind/Main/Sitemap.html

SouthernYJ
04-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Don't just do crush grip stuff (grippers). I love grippers and its what got me started on grip training, but also do some pinch grip stuff. If something (or someone) is to big for you to crush grip, you might be able to use your pinch grip.

I would do crush grip, pinch grip, and wrist work. if you pinch and use grippers on the same day, do gripper first then pinch.

pfc3rex
04-05-2005, 01:02 AM
I think im going to start working on my grip.. especially for deads.. whew!

johnnytang24
04-05-2005, 06:47 PM
In Mastery of Hand Strength, Brookfield recommends, for Martial Artists (I assume wrestlers fit in this category), fingers, fingertips, and pinch grip.

Bag catching
Fingertip pushups
Block weights
Sand grabbing
Baseball lift
Titan's Telegraph Key

Personally, I would recommend more wrist work as well.

I highly recommend this book if you are seriously interested in grip strength.

Thanks.

Hazerboy
04-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Wow, those all sound like some great suggestions. I'm a little confused on how you do some of the workouts, but I think I'll check into that Mastery of Hand strength book.

I'm really interested in Bigpoppapimp's suggestion. How excacly do are you supposed to work your hand into the bucket of rice? I mean, it sounds more like tricep work because you would be pushing your hand in there, but that may be something that's more easily understood once you've tried it.

I think my biggest problem for this is motivating myself to work grip training into my work out. Should I put it on legs days? Bicep and back? :-p

Iron Pony
04-12-2005, 04:23 PM
Toward the end of this article by Dave Tate, there is a description of rice digs and a bonus . . . a photo. ;)
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=D45722853175B4285EDB73D7BD78CD53.titan?id=564244

Sybersnott
11-01-2005, 12:34 AM
Wow, those all sound like some great suggestions. I'm a little confused on how you do some of the workouts, but I think I'll check into that Mastery of Hand strength book.

Go over to IronMind and order the Trainer, the #1 and the #2 grippers. Also you can order Brookfield's book, Mastery Of Hand Strength while you're there.

IRONMIND - Click Here (www.ironmind.com)

Lots of suggestions in the book about building your grip strength. I've met John in person... very nice guy and wow what a grip!! :)

Guido
11-01-2005, 01:49 PM
You can also do fingertip pullups on a doorframe. I did these for a while in addition to farmers holds with heavy DB's and they helped a LOT. I can rack pull 600lbs w/o straps, chalk only.

Meat_Head
11-01-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm with mix. If you really want to make grip strength a priority, there is NOTHING better than sandbags and thick bars.

Surferboy
11-02-2005, 07:42 AM
deadlifts are the best.

Canadian Crippler
11-02-2005, 08:31 AM
"freakish grip for wrestling" won't really require sandbags or thick bars.

Try one-armed hangs and heavy rack pulls.

Meat_Head
11-02-2005, 02:31 PM
"freakish grip for wrestling" won't really require sandbags or thick bars.

Try one-armed hangs and heavy rack pulls.

Explain to me how hanging from a 1" thick bar or holding on to one is anything like the grip required for wrestling?

Sandbags and thick bars are perfect for wrestling. Sandbags build immense stabilizer strength and grip strength because they are big and awkward, much more like trying to move around another human being. Just as you can't predict how your human opponent would move, you can't predict how the sand is going to shift around in the bag. The grip you take on a sandbag or a thick bar is much more like grabbing a human, be it by the waist, leg, arm, etc because you have to grab a handful of the bag or grip it with an open hand. You never grip something the size of a regular barbell in combat sports. Plus hangs, rack pulls, static hold and the like almost completely neglect wrist stability, another thing that is essential to sports and best trained with sandbags/thick bars.

Sybersnott
11-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Sandbags and thick bars are perfect for wrestling. Sandbags build immense stabilizer strength and grip strength because they are big and awkward, much more like trying to move around another human being.

I'll give you a GOOD one: thick rope climbing.

It hits everything a wrestler needs - hands, wrists, shoulders. Also, supported wrist roller work; about 150 pounds to start with regardless of bodyweight. You might even think about sled pulls... about 100 pounds with a long rope. :)

ovlifter
11-03-2005, 06:43 AM
u guys wanna see some grip action check out this site

www.diesalcrew.com

Meat_Head
11-03-2005, 10:21 AM
I'll give you a GOOD one: thick rope climbing.

It hits everything a wrestler needs - hands, wrists, shoulders. Also, supported wrist roller work; about 150 pounds to start with regardless of bodyweight. You might even think about sled pulls... about 100 pounds with a long rope. :)

Excellent stuff!