PDA

View Full Version : Hitting 25 pullups- HELP!

Mission
03-28-2005, 08:57 PM
My goal is to hit 25 consecutive pullups. Right now I can do 17 with little cheating. What would be the best way to approach hitting 25?

AKraut
03-28-2005, 08:58 PM
keep doing as many as you can and eat a lot of good food

Ellocodetroit
03-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Damn I can correctly only hit 7. Lat PD Maybe?

Mission
03-28-2005, 08:59 PM
I hate pulldowns. I've always felt they seem to emphasis momentum more than the actual muscles.

MixmasterNash
03-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Don't bother with pulldowns.

Start working on pullups with extra weight, say +10-20% of bw. Also, work on multiple sets with minimal rest.

trich daddy
03-28-2005, 09:30 PM
Why is it I can do sets of 5 or 6 pullups but I can't do NEARLY my bodyweight on the pulldown machine?? I weigh 205 pounds, and 140 pounds on the lat pulldown machine feels enormously heavy.

MixmasterNash
03-28-2005, 09:32 PM
It's a different motion, there are different leverages.

Plus, in a pullup, you're not lifting 100% of bodyweight either.

spanky33
03-28-2005, 10:08 PM
i can do 25. but the trick for me is to have a strong upper body, and very low body fat. so i'm a light weight.
and i do them everyday, maybe that helps. when i dont do them for a while, i can't do nearly as many.

MixmasterNash
03-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Yes, frequent pullup sessions are probably required.

Mission
03-28-2005, 10:43 PM
Don't bother with pulldowns.

Start working on pullups with extra weight, say +10-20% of bw. Also, work on multiple sets with minimal rest.

But won't that just build strength rather than the endorance needed for 25?

MixmasterNash
03-28-2005, 10:53 PM
If you're stuck at a certain number of reps, you need to change the parameters to move past the sticking point, whether it be more sets, more weight, better form, etc. I suggest training a number of different methods every week.

jack_of_all
03-29-2005, 05:18 AM
i can only do 3 pull-ups but would definatley like to work on it too. it seems like i need to be doing pulldowns to develop the strength. any ideas? (not to hijack the thread or anything)

Cra-Z
03-29-2005, 06:23 AM
Just keep doing them like that and every week your should be able to do more...

Punk In Drublic
03-29-2005, 07:17 AM
Have a spotter help you rep out to 25?

My guess is the spotter would spot you like a squatter.

spencerjrus
03-29-2005, 09:18 AM
I hate pulldowns. I've always felt they seem to emphasis momentum more than the actual muscles.

You can emphasize momentum on any damn exercise you want, it just means you're not doing it correctly. Trust me doing lat pulldown correctly with heavy weight can be quite difficult and is a worthy exercise to spend time on.

thetopdog
03-29-2005, 09:32 AM
But won't that just build strength rather than the endorance needed for 25?

When your strength goes up, you will be able to do more pullups than when you weren't as strong, even if your endurance hasn't increased much

I've never gone over 12 pullups, and I rarely do more than 7 or 8. I start my sets with 70lbs strapped to me, and drop weight gradually so by the 4th set I'm down to doing body weight for about 10 reps. I could probably do 25 bodyweight pullups if I began with those, even though I have never done close to that many when I'm doing my sets

Kind of like if a powerlifter does low reps and can bench 300lbs, he can probably do a ton of reps at 185lbs, even though he's never trained that way

Mission
03-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Have a spotter help you rep out to 25?

My guess is the spotter would spot you like a squatter.

That might actually be a good idea. Anybody train pullups this way?

Guido
03-29-2005, 02:00 PM
I start my sets with 70lbs strapped to me, and drop weight gradually so by the 4th set I'm down to doing body weight for about 10 reps. I could probably do 25 bodyweight pullups if I began with those, even though I have never done close to that many when I'm doing my sets
Hmmmm. I might just have to try that.

Chrispy
03-29-2005, 03:08 PM
yeah i've seen people do it. this one guy, pretty strong (in bench atleast, that's all i've seen him do) at my gym had someone help him. we don't have an assisted pullup machine so i think that's basically what he was doing. he was kinda heavy looking so maybe he can't do pullups without help. either way that's basically the same thing as what you'd be doing. they just pushed up on his feet when he couldn't go anymore.

MixmasterNash
03-29-2005, 03:38 PM
I don't assists from a spotter are that useful. If you want to cheat, do it yourself and kip. Kipping is where you bring your knees up and then push them down as pullup, and your whole body swinggs quite a bit.

You can see it about 20 seconds into this video: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/Team7.wmv

Mission
03-29-2005, 05:37 PM
What do you guys think of doing pullups every day? I've heard you're supposed to wait 48 hours before training the same muscle again, but what do you think?

[[[----]]]
03-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Just eat alot of good food, Well if your goal is just to do 25 pullups and nothing more i would reccomend not doing the pulldowns. Maybe do them after the pullups to fatigue your muscles more. Do them with a pullup style grip.

bigpoppapump979
03-29-2005, 10:06 PM
what the hell was that video?

mercury
03-29-2005, 10:28 PM
What's with the "Upright Rows all the way up to your eyeballs"? LOL

MixmasterNash
03-29-2005, 10:30 PM
what the hell was that video?

Crossfit. They're crazy. But fit.

smalls
03-29-2005, 11:34 PM
My question for everyone who wants to do high numbers of pullups, not just the threadstarter, is WHY? If it just a goal to get that many then mixmasternash and some others have given good tips. But if you want a better devoloped back there are better way's to go about it.

wrestlemaniac
03-29-2005, 11:41 PM
I don't assists from a spotter are that useful. If you want to cheat, do it yourself and kip. Kipping is where you bring your knees up and then push them down as pullup, and your whole body swinggs quite a bit.

You can see it about 20 seconds into this video: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/Team7.wmv

Dear God, what in the blue hell was THAT!

Am I the only one who thinks using momentum like that on the upright rows is probably a really bad idea. I always heard they were bad on shoulders so I'd imagine lifting in a less controlled fashion (and probably with more weight) is a bad idea.

and there was dancing!

abwowang
03-30-2005, 12:32 AM
i do pullups for warmup sometimes..

jack_of_all
03-30-2005, 05:07 AM
man, that kipper guy cant even do pull ups as well as me... he didnt even put his chin over the bar after a few reps.

mikren
03-30-2005, 06:21 AM
My god....that video....It was chaotic(sp) in there..... :scratch:

MixmasterNash
03-30-2005, 07:55 AM
Dear God, what in the blue hell was THAT!

Am I the only one who thinks using momentum like that on the upright rows is probably a really bad idea. I always heard they were bad on shoulders so I'd imagine lifting in a less controlled fashion (and probably with more weight) is a bad idea.

and there was dancing!

1) The chick who was dancing can out cardio us all put together, then rep out more pullups (30+), and then lift her bodyweight in olympic lifts a whole bunch. She is insane. The dancing is not part of the routine, she just has excess energy to expend DURING a workout.

2) Not using momentum on upright rows is a bad idea. They are BAD for the RCs, and olympic style high pulls, which is basically what they're doing with a kettlebell, are a superior motion in every way.

Mission
03-30-2005, 01:43 PM
My question for everyone who wants to do high numbers of pullups, not just the threadstarter, is WHY? If it just a goal to get that many then mixmasternash and some others have given good tips. But if you want a better devoloped back there are better way's to go about it.

Same reason we all want a big bench and squat.

MixmasterNash
03-30-2005, 01:49 PM

Hmm, I would suggest that 25 pullups, while an arbitrary number, is different in several ways from a big number lift. Pullups and dips with added weight for a 1RM are more like a big bench and squat. Absolute limit strength.

High rep pullups are endurance that relates to a skill people used to be concerned with when we were running away from animals on a regular basis: climbing. Modern society does not require climbing, and so the great majority of people cannot. However, it is clear that humans possess the necessary genetics and can develop the musculature to climb quite well, as evidenced by the small subset of people who do, e.g. rock climbers, gymnasts, special forces, etc. We will never be monkeys, but some are getting there!

[[[----]]]
03-30-2005, 04:23 PM
lol what in the hell is that vid from?! dancing? man......

Saint Patrick
03-30-2005, 05:52 PM
Those guys are kipping so damn hard on those pullups, it's almost comical. They're swinging their entire body. They should be using an assisted Pullup machine, because they obviously can't pull up their own BW without cheating.

smalls
03-30-2005, 06:06 PM

I think mixmaster already made a good point on this. 25 pullups is nothing like a big bench or squat. 6 pullups with 90lbs added is a better analogy.

MixmasterNash
03-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Those guys are kipping so damn hard on those pullups, it's almost comical. They're swinging their entire body. They should be using an assisted Pullup machine, because they obviously can't pull up their own BW without cheating.

Yes, those particular guys sucked. But can you do 36 pullups, kipping or not? :D

QT: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/pull-up_8.mov
WMV: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/pull-up_7.wmv

smalls
03-30-2005, 06:32 PM
That's actually pretty insane.
Not to be derogetory or anything but I need to make sweet sweet love to that girl. She's what? 5' 98lbs and has the energy of a sack of rabbits, dizamn.

[[[----]]]
03-30-2005, 06:45 PM
I think the most swole person in the video was that girl!

Mission
03-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Yes, those particular guys sucked. But can you do 36 pullups, kipping or not? :D

That's insane lol. Even with that "kipping," that's still crazy. How many more than that girl can you do, Nash?

MixmasterNash
03-30-2005, 09:00 PM
That's insane lol. Even with that "kipping," that's still crazy. How many more than that girl can you do, Nash?

Uh, -12. Probably even with kipping. I have no idea what my actual pullup max is but it ain't 36.

MixmasterNash
03-30-2005, 09:19 PM
And this is for you smalls, enjoy dreaming of insane jack rabbit power, as we see Annie movie twice as fast as everyone else and never getting tired:
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/bottom-to-bottom_1.mpg

Walking Beast
03-31-2005, 02:51 AM
My best was 28, when I was around 195-200. I was also pulling 345 for 8-10 reps on lat pulldowns. Chin-ups are more endurance after a certain number. I got stronger on them by doing them every back workout. Atleast 3-6 sets to failure. Inbetween my other sets or all together. The best advice I can give is to just keep doing them every back workout. If chin-ups was your only goal then a more frequent chin-up program would probabally be best. Also you might want to do chin-ups first in your routine so your arent fatigued.

pfc3rex
03-31-2005, 11:00 AM
i can do 25. but the trick for me is to have a strong upper body, and very low body fat. so i'm a light weight.
and i do them everyday, maybe that helps. when i dont do them for a while, i can't do nearly as many.

Thats the problem then, continue working on them couple times a week, and in no time you'll be there.

smalls
03-31-2005, 12:22 PM
And this is for you smalls, enjoy dreaming of insane jack rabbit power, as we see Annie movie twice as fast as everyone else and never getting tired:
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/bottom-to-bottom_1.mpg

Damnit dude, vids' not working.

Mission
04-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Does anybody know the world record for most consecutive pullups? I searched google but couldn't find anything.

bigpoppapump979
04-10-2005, 10:24 AM
HAHAHA that video actually makes me angry. i would like to take that little girl and just choke her...how about the guy they zoom in on and he looks like hes constipated. i hate everyone in that video

Mission
04-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Why do you hate them? lol

IZich
04-12-2005, 01:51 AM
LOL my roommate who was watching the vid with me tried doing it with it.. from start to finish.. he did pretty well actually.. all the way to the last set :)

Vido
04-12-2005, 02:05 AM
smalls already asked the question, but I'm still baffled as to why you would like to do so many pullups. The ability to do a high number of pullups is an indicator of one thing and one thing only imo: you don't weigh enough.

I'm sure some guys could, but I've never seen anyone I consider "jacked" doing high-rep pullups. For that matter, I rarely see any big guys doing pullups in the first place, but that might just be where I lift.

Mission
04-12-2005, 05:14 PM
smalls already asked the question, but I'm still baffled as to why you would like to do so many pullups. The ability to do a high number of pullups is an indicator of one thing and one thing only imo: you don't weigh enough.

I'm sure some guys could, but I've never seen anyone I consider "jacked" doing high-rep pullups. For that matter, I rarely see any big guys doing pullups in the first place, but that might just be where I lift.

Different people have different goals. In my opinion, the pullup is the core, best motion in fitness.

Vido
04-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Different people have different goals.

Fair enough. If you're trying to look like an underwear model then go for it. If you're trying to get big, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Mission
04-12-2005, 08:53 PM
I don't wanna look like an underwear model lol. In fact, looks aren't really one of my goals. I train for a combination of strength and endurance.

Maki Riddington
04-12-2005, 09:03 PM
Pull ups and chin ups are one of the better upper body movements and a great way to gauge what kind of physical condition a person is in.

To quote Christian Thibaudeau,

"To dominate this exercise, one must possess a strong back, strong arms, a firm grip, lots of body control, and strength endurance in the forearms and hands. This makes the chin-up quite possibly the best test of relative strength available."

Mission
04-12-2005, 09:53 PM
To add to what I've already said, functionality is a main factor in my training and why I wanna do so many pullups. For instance, a high 3 rep lat pulldown max isn't going to help me much when I'm rock climbing. However, being able to continuessly lift myself up will.

Mission
05-14-2005, 11:32 AM
I got 20 last time at the gym! I got past my plateu of 17 by having my training partner help me crank out extra reps after I'd already gone to failure. I guess they call this overloading? I'm really happy now. Only 5 more to go! :D

MixmasterNash
06-03-2005, 09:38 AM
Bumppage of an old thread to post this insanity:
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/onearmpull.mpg

I've never seen so many one arm pullups!

twm
06-03-2005, 09:47 AM

That gym is a tad crowded for my tastes. Annie is really sexy when she dances too :cool:

DNL
06-03-2005, 10:02 AM

I've never seen so many one arm pullups!

Dayum that's some hardcore stuff. Gotta try that someday.

Sensei
06-03-2005, 10:17 AM
My best was 28, when I was around 195-200. I was also pulling 345 for 8-10 reps on lat pulldowns. Chin-ups are more endurance after a certain number. I got stronger on them by doing them every back workout. Atleast 3-6 sets to failure. Inbetween my other sets or all together. The best advice I can give is to just keep doing them every back workout. If chin-ups was your only goal then a more frequent chin-up program would probabally be best. Also you might want to do chin-ups first in your routine so your arent fatigued.

This is good advice. I got 29, each from a dead hang, when I weighed about 160 (a looong time ago). I'm pretty sure I can still get about 16 @200lbs (and many years later). When I was my strongest at pull-ups, I was doing pull-ups A LOT - at least 3x/week, usually 4-8 sets of 10-18 reps/set. I would vary grips (wide, narrow, overhand, underhand, parallel) but that was about it.

My best all-time workouts were 100 reps in 7 sets (when I was 17) and 95 reps in 5 sets (when I was 19). I still think I could have probably done 30 if I had taken a rep-max during those times... Oh well, if 'ifs' and 'buts' were candy and nuts....

Adding weight never helped me do more reps, just helped me go heavier and be more powerful w. lower reps... Lat pulldowns never helped my pull-ups either.

As far as "Why?" goes, pull-ups are a great exercise for upper back, grip, and climbing strength and endurance. My high school and my college team had record boards that included pull-ups and that was part of the motivation too.

Guido
06-03-2005, 10:19 AM

I've never seen so many one arm pullups!My god! That dude doesn't even look that huge...Must have a skinnya$$ lower body.

WBBIRL
06-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Well, I can bench 315lbs... and I can rep 185 almost 20 times if im fresh. However I cant do one single pullup, I havent quite figured out the lifts to do for that just yet... however my lat PD's are progressing nicely. On wednesday I did a set of 10 at 150, set of 8 at 160 and a set of 6 at 170. With perfect form though, none of this throwing my body backwards to get the weight up.

Progress
06-03-2005, 01:49 PM
My god! That dude doesn't even look that huge...Must have a skinnya$$ lower body.

I doubt he weighs on ounce over 150 lbs. That is impressive though. :omg:

Progress
06-03-2005, 01:55 PM
I used this routine when I thought I was going to be a Marine...

http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyattsville/Armstrong%20Pullup%20Program.htm

mihorne
06-03-2005, 03:34 PM
im not saying that i could do it.. but pull ups with bad form are worthless

MixmasterNash
06-03-2005, 06:13 PM
im not saying that i could do it.. but pull ups with bad form are worthless

Wrong and WRONG.

Zygote
06-03-2005, 08:22 PM
I'm also a failure on pullups. I can get 2 sets of 6 strict on a good day. Been doing them for 1.5 years now and they just will not improve.

WBBIRL
06-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Video was insane, although im fine with the fact I cant do any.

mihorne
06-03-2005, 09:38 PM
ok. i'll admit i should have re-phrased it and said something like....

i would never do pull ups like that becuase id rather do them with good form etc. etc.

are you happy now

Girn
06-04-2005, 01:51 AM
Damn I can correctly only hit 7. Lat PD Maybe?

how the hell do u bench so much and do little squats and deads? I can do 195 pound squats about 5-7 times.. and only 120 pound bench press GOD I SUCK

Mission
06-04-2005, 10:02 AM
I used this routine when I thought I was going to be a Marine...

http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyattsville/Armstrong%20Pullup%20Program.htm

How did that work?

Also, woot! I got 22! 3 more to go.

And Nash, that video is awe-inspiring!

Ellocodetroit
06-12-2005, 10:55 AM
how the hell do u bench so much and do little squats and deads? I can do 195 pound squats about 5-7 times.. and only 120 pound bench press GOD I SUCK
I'm up to 225 on squats at 6-8 reps, dead 245 at 6-8 reps. Are you doing your squats correctly? your thighs have to be level at the bottom end of the squat. Squat (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBFullSquat.html)
This vid shows AST. I don't wanna be thread jacking just answering girn's question.

KevinStarke
06-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Im a little guy with short arms so pull ups im at an advantage with. I can do around 20-22 but those 1 handers were nasty i gotta try that.

Neil
06-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Also, work on multiple sets with minimal rest.

I agree.

For instance, do a 5x5 with 15-20 second between sets and gradually decrease the rest until you can do them straight through.

MixmasterNash
06-12-2005, 08:49 PM
One arm, no legs, rope climb:
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/onearmrope.mpg

Insanex10000.

KevinStarke
06-12-2005, 08:51 PM
....damn....

Mission
11-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Yes! Not only did I hit 25 pullups last workout, I got 26! Finally. :D

Meat_Head
11-02-2005, 07:20 PM

Imagine how huge and strong you'd be if you could do alot of pullups at 220+lbs

RBC13
11-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Hey so how much pullups do you guys think that Ronnie Coleman can do or other bodybuilders?

Chubrock
11-03-2005, 08:27 AM
I noticed somebody in here asked about the world record for chinups. I'm pretty sure these records still stand but maybe somebody has some more recent info.

A United States Marine set the record for most chinups without coming off the bar (64) and most chinups in an hour (260 something). I believe it was also a Marine that set the 24hour record at something like 2,650. Don't know if that was the exact number, but it was well over 2,000.

Some insane numbers he put up. I can't imagine the grip strength and muscular endurance that Marine had to have to put up 64 without coming off the bar.

Rex
11-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Yes! Not only did I hit 25 pullups last workout, I got 26! Finally. :D

Congrats Mission! That's awesome!

One day I'd like to be able to hit 20... I think the most I've ever done was 11.

Fine acomplishment.

Cra-Z
11-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Congrats big guy.

Mission
11-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I've finally come to accept that I just don't have the genetics to be a powerlifter so am really just focussing on endurance now.

MixmasterNash
11-04-2005, 08:34 PM
Nice, that's a lot more than I can do!

Meat_Head
11-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I've finally come to accept that I just don't have the genetics to be a powerlifter so am really just focussing on endurance now.

Bad choice.

Chubrock
11-04-2005, 10:28 PM
Why's that a bad choice? Maybe he doesn't really have a desire to be a powerlifter. That doesn't make it a bad choice, just like because you want to be a powerlifter (assumption based off your statement) and not a bodybuilder isn't a bad choice.