PDA

View Full Version : A little diet help please

kingsley
03-28-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm trying to gain muscle and I always thought the rule was to get 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (I weight 120 lbs and my height is 5'10''). But I've been reading and a lot of people have been suggesting others to make sure you eat 4000 calories worth of food everyday. That seems like a huge amount.

So I guess my question is what is more important, protein or calories?
Thanks.

Built
03-28-2005, 09:32 PM
Both.
You need 1+g/pound bodyweight to support your muscle growth, and you need a caloric surplus to support weight gain.

4000 is just a number. It's different for everybody - just make sure you go over YOUR maintenance cals.

Double D
03-28-2005, 11:06 PM
The total calorie amount is different for every person, and depends on a lot of factors, weight, age, metabolism etc. So what works for one person may not work for others. At your bodyweight 4000 is probably a bit extreme unless you have a really really fast metablolism. Id suggest starting with about 2,500. Watch your weight and see if it goes up. If it goes up thats good, but if not add more cals till you see an increase.

Also the 1 gram per ib is a minimum requirement. Its good to go over though.

Vampiro
03-29-2005, 05:10 PM
hey i was in the same boat as you a few months ago, but after about 5k a day im 134 or 5. When i started bulking i got 1.5-2 grams protein/per lb of bw. the rest efa's and healthy carbs. Lisen, at 120, youll put on weight if you eat enough, protein is important, but overall calorie consumption is what adds weight. Iv'e read somewhere something like overall calories determine weight gain/loss but macro nutriets munipulation determines what type of weight you put on, just a suggestion so you don't start eating a bucnh of un-healthy stuff to get the cals in, i know i did at first.