PDA

View Full Version : Bench buster

dude34
03-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Hello! I had recently leveled out in my bench press. I weigh about 180 and I can bench about 270 lbs for one rep. I started adding one armed benches to my routine once a week at the end of the workout and I maxed out at 285 last thursday night. This was after about a month of not testing and adding one armed benchs to my routine.

My routine is something like this:

I warm up with 10-15 minutes of jump rope so I am pretty loose going into the workout.

Bench 2 x 6-8
Incline DB 2 X 6-8
Flyes 2 x 10-12
One armed DB Benches 2 x 6-8

I can typically do about 110lbs in each hand or so on two armed DB bench but I can only do 85 lbs for 6 right now...

just fyi Hope it helps you out...

EHSathlete
03-29-2005, 02:07 PM
thanx dude... but isn't it the same thing as DB bench except one arm at a time? or do you do it differently or something?

Chrispy
03-29-2005, 03:15 PM
it's the same, but it works the stabalizers more because the weight in your lifting hand will want to pull your whole body that way.

IRN-BRU
03-29-2005, 03:35 PM
Doing DB Bench with one arm sounds silly. It works the stabalizers whether you have something to help you balance or not.

Did you invent this exercise? Ever wonder why no-one else thought of it?

Chrispy
03-29-2005, 03:40 PM
i've heard of it before

and if he says he put 15 lbs on his bench in like a month it has to do something. idk if it was just the switch up of excercises or if it works good, but either way it worked for him.

bIgHwN86
03-29-2005, 08:59 PM
i do one-arm db benches on my recovery days...good stuff...but i never tried it for low reps, i usually do them for high reps like 20 or 30 reps...i read somewhere that the wake forest strength coach has the db's max out on one arm db benches..forgot where i read it but i know it was on one of the big weightlifting sites..

Mike G
03-30-2005, 06:31 AM
Doing DB Bench with one arm sounds silly. It works the stabalizers whether you have something to help you balance or not.

I've heard of this exercise and done it. I don't know how much more it works the stabalizers in your chest, shoulders, tri's..., but I know it works your core. And it obviously helped Dude for whatever reason. :thumbup: Do one legged squats sound silly to you too?

dude34
03-30-2005, 04:33 PM

If you do, the stabalizer (obliques) are very important in what we call "core" strength. A good rule of thumb is the stronger your core is, the stronger you are. Also this is what we call a "uni-lateral" exercise, or it works both sides of your body equally. Silly exercise? Try it...

dude34
03-30-2005, 04:36 PM
i've heard of it before

and if he says he put 15 lbs on his bench in like a month it has to do something. idk if it was just the switch up of excercises or if it works good, but either way it worked for him.

I coach CC and Track. I could give you some running specific exercises if you would like... do you have access to a medicine ball? Also, don't worry about "bulking" at 16... some guys can some can't at that age. When you get done competively running you will be able to put on plenty of bulk...

dude34
03-30-2005, 04:36 PM
I've heard of this exercise and done it. I don't know how much more it works the stabalizers in your chest, shoulders, tri's..., but I know it works your core. And it obviously helped Dude for whatever reason. :thumbup: Do one legged squats sound silly to you too?

Powerful stuff.

dude34
03-30-2005, 04:38 PM
i do one-arm db benches on my recovery days...good stuff...but i never tried it for low reps, i usually do them for high reps like 20 or 30 reps...i read somewhere that the wake forest strength coach has the db's max out on one arm db benches..forgot where i read it but i know it was on one of the big weightlifting sites..

I never thought of doing that for reps but heck if it would help me bench 310 I'll have to try it...

EHSathlete
03-30-2005, 08:46 PM

Acctually if you do one legged squats right they work like hellaz.

Mike G
03-31-2005, 07:12 AM
Acctually if you do one legged squats right they work like hellaz.
That's what I was saying :D

pfc3rex
03-31-2005, 11:14 AM
I guess once I hit my plateau I will start trying these out. Sounds interesting though..

bIgHwN86
03-31-2005, 02:19 PM
one legged squats are the shiznit!!!!...it is hella good....my goal is to try to one-leg squat the 100lb. Db for 10....so far i got the 80's for 5...the next day i was walkin so awkward..

NecroFeelYa
04-01-2005, 08:41 PM
With one-armed DB benches, where do you put the arm that isnt currently lifting the weight?

EdgeCrusher
04-02-2005, 12:46 AM
dude34 i like your manner of writing - not sure what exactly it is about it, but i do.

could you pm or explain here those running-specific exercises you have? I'd like to improve both my intensity and ability to go for distance in running.

dude34
04-05-2005, 11:41 AM
dude34 i like your manner of writing - not sure what exactly it is about it, but i do.

could you pm or explain here those running-specific exercises you have? I'd like to improve both my intensity and ability to go for distance in running.

Reverse hyper extensions- Lay on your stomach on a bench. Scoot your pelvis down so it hangs off the bench. Now lower your feet to the floor while keeping your legs straight. Now raise your legs as high as you can and then lower it again. All reps should be controlled. you can add resistance as you get stronger by adding a medicine ball between your feet (tough). This will work our your spinal erectors, obliques, glutes and biceps femuris (hams)... the best part of this is that it teaches the body to "pull" rather than "push" through running. Let me know if you understand this or not (the description of the excerise not the concept, i certainly don't want to insult your intelligence) and I'll give you some more...

dude34
04-05-2005, 11:42 AM
With one-armed DB benches, where do you put the arm that isnt currently lifting the weight?

I put my hand by my head and kind of anchor myself to the bench. You won't believe the difference you will feel in your abs when you do this bench! Good stuff...

NecroFeelYa
04-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Just in case anyone sees this thread and is interested if it has worked for anyone else, I did start doing this on the 1st of April, and my bench has since increased 20lbs (from 275 to 295). I should probably also mention I had been in a bit of a slump before this (lifting much less often than normal, maybe 1/3 as often) and that I changed that problem around when I decided to start adding one-armed DB presses into my routine. That probably also had a role in the increase, but I am very certain this idea of his works. Many thanks, Dude34.

dude34
05-06-2005, 11:54 AM
It has been about 6 weeks now and I'm using 90lbs now for 8 and my max has went up to 290 also! Hey whatever works right? Well glad to hear it's working for you!

twm
05-08-2005, 12:51 PM
1 legged squat = lunge?

METALASIAN
05-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Also, don't worry about "bulking" at 16... some guys can some can't at that age. When you get done competively running you will be able to put on plenty of bulk...

Never heard that one before....

bIgHwN86
05-08-2005, 07:51 PM
1 legged squat = lunge?
no......put on foot on a bench and squat...........go to joedrancostraining.com and look under pics....there's bound to be a picture of a guy doing a one-legged squat....a lunge is just that...a lunge