PDA

View Full Version : Cutting - too much protein?

wannabeshreaded
03-29-2005, 11:41 AM
I'm trying to cut 10-15 lbs of fat. I'm 5'10", 190

I'm aiming for ~1800 cals, less than 40 carbs a day.

With such a carb restriction, I'm taking in around 35 grams of fat. I'm eating mainly tuna, eggs and chicken. To get the 1800 cals I've been gettin around 300g of protein.

I've been told that protein won't turn to fat. Is this true? or is 300g too much protein for me?

If was getting 1g/lb or 1.5g/lb of body weight I'd have to make up the cals some other way (more healthy fats maybe?).

Is it ok to continue cutting with these numbers?

raniali
03-29-2005, 12:24 PM
first, your overall cals are too low.
second, on a carb restricted diet, good fats are usually a good proportion (50-70%) of your calories.
third, even on a regular diet, fats should be higher than 18% of your cals.
fourth, i don't think you NEED 300 g of protein, but you have more important issues in your diet to fix.

Built
03-29-2005, 01:34 PM
:withstupi

You need fats to build, and you also need fats to protect you from being in a protein-oxidative state when low-carbing. I like my fats at about 40-50% of total cals on low carb, or even higher. Certainly no lower.

wannabeshreaded
03-29-2005, 02:52 PM
I forgot to mention the 6 grams i get from flax per day.

I guess I will pick up some natty pb, avacados, and cut back on the canned meats and start cooking fresh meat with olive oil.

raniali
03-29-2005, 03:53 PM
with your forgotten 6 grams, you are now at a whopping 20% of your total calories from fat.
you already seem to know what to change.

Vapour Trails
03-29-2005, 03:53 PM
I've been told that protein won't turn to fat. Is this true?

or is 300g too much protein for me?

No, it isn't true, excess protein can be converted to triglycerides, because some aminos following deamination form Acetyl-CoA (the 2 carbon building block of fat). Will it acutally happen in your calorie reduced state, very unlikely.

I don't think 300 g is too much.

If he's trying a PSFM type diet, he doesn't want many calories from fat.

emjlr3
03-29-2005, 05:04 PM

You need fats to build, and you also need fats to protect you from being in a protein-oxidative state when low-carbing. I like my fats at about 40-50% of total cals on low carb, or even higher. Certainly no lower.

that is a lot dude, no matter what, even during a bulk i dont go above 30%, you got some sort of freaky metabolism or something?

Built
03-29-2005, 05:06 PM
If he's trying a PSFM type diet, he doesn't want many calories from fat.

Vapour Trails, I'm curious about that - how is it that on a PSMF, you don't go into a protein-oxidative state?

Built
03-29-2005, 05:09 PM
that is a lot dude, no matter what, even during a bulk i dont go above 30%, you got some sort of freaky metabolism or something?

Hi there

Not a dude - that's me in my 'tar. ;)

And no, this is pretty normal for low carb, although on my carbup days, my fats go down to about 30-35% of total cals most days.

For low carb, you CAN go much higher - when I first started fiddling with low carb, I was at about 65% of cals from fats. Now that I carb-cycle, I go from about isocaloric on carbup days, to about 40-50% of cals from fats, 10% from carbs, and the rest from protein on my low-carb (non-lifting) days.

shootermcgavin7
03-29-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm trying to cut 10-15 lbs of fat. I'm 5'10", 190

I'm aiming for ~1800 cals, less than 40 carbs a day.

With such a carb restriction, I'm taking in around 35 grams of fat. I'm eating mainly tuna, eggs and chicken. To get the 1800 cals I've been gettin around 300g of protein.

I've been told that protein won't turn to fat. Is this true? or is 300g too much protein for me?

If was getting 1g/lb or 1.5g/lb of body weight I'd have to make up the cals some other way (more healthy fats maybe?).

Is it ok to continue cutting with these numbers?

I agree with what most others have said. At 5'10", 190 lb, I would start my calories higher, at least around 2600 (assuming you are begininning). Allso, as other have stated, I would up the fat a little, up the carbs a LOT (unless you are doing CKD or some other low carb cut). If you are doing 35g fat, 300g protein, that leaves around 75g of carbs in your current calorie structure, and that's too low unless you are having a stellar refeed.

wannabeshreaded
03-29-2005, 09:49 PM
I've been half-assedly trying to drop these pounds for a while. Eating relatively clean but apparently not enough to loose weight. The only way I've been able to lose in the past was with a low carb diet so I think I'm going to stick with it.

Eating 5-6 meals making up 1800 cals, I'm never even hungry. I've been eating my last meal around 1030-1130pm for the past few days and I'm not even hungry when I wake up (which has been 9-10am, spring break, gotta love it).

I really wanna get rid of this flab fast, is it really hurting me eating only 1800? I can't believe my body is in starvation, I've heardly been getting hungry. If my body's not in starvation mode is it just a matter of breaking down muscle with such reduced cals?

Dedicated
03-30-2005, 06:07 AM
Are you working out also?

My stats are similiar to yours. I have done the 1800 calories a day and I DID lose weight, but I also lost alot of muscle. Are you losing weight? Currently I am doing 2000 a day.

I think your getting too much protein, drink lots of water if you continue to do so.

Holto
03-30-2005, 08:44 AM
Hi there

Not a dude - that's me in my 'tar. ;)

your av does look like a dude though...

you need to add a sports top or something

wannabeshreaded
03-30-2005, 08:51 AM
Are you working out also?

My stats are similiar to yours. I have done the 1800 calories a day and I DID lose weight, but I also lost alot of muscle. Are you losing weight? Currently I am doing 2000 a day.

I think your getting too much protein, drink lots of water if you continue to do so.

I drink a good 6 liters a day. I've just started this in the past 5 days, haven't weighted myself yet, I will tomm morn.

I lift 3-4 times a week and do cardio 3-4 times.

gino
03-30-2005, 08:58 AM

If your total calories are below maintenance, you are eating less than what you can metabolize, so it doesn't matter...10%, 30%, 50%, whatever.

Vapour Trails
03-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Vapour Trails, I'm curious about that - how is it that on a PSMF, you don't go into a protein-oxidative state?

You will to an extent, but the excess of protein will allow gluconeogenesis to take place, sparing muscle tissue. Every "diet" will eventually lead to some muscle loss though.

Vapour Trails
03-30-2005, 09:05 AM

Looks like a woman to me.

emjlr3
03-31-2005, 12:01 PM
{Yesterday 10:58 AM
gino
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjlr3

If your total calories are below maintenance, you are eating less than what you can metabolize, so it doesn't matter...10%, 30%, 50%, whatever.}

im interested about where i can check to see what my maintance is ,because id really liek to know, i tried fitday but i think theres was screwed, it said iw as at like 3500 a day, so i should be loosing massive weight, yet im not

{Yesterday 11:05 AM
Vapour Trails
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holto

Looks like a woman to me.}

looks like a guy to me...must be the fro

Holto
03-31-2005, 12:09 PM
looks like Sam Graci with a tan

smalls
03-31-2005, 12:12 PM

I dont mean to be rude, but how small do you have to be to think that avatar could be a man, lol.

Sidior
03-31-2005, 12:37 PM

But ya I was a bit surprised when I first looked the the avatar, not many girls have a back like that:D

Sidior
03-31-2005, 12:37 PM
^at the avatar...you get the idea

gino
04-01-2005, 07:22 AM
im interested about where i can check to see what my maintance is ,because id really liek to know, i tried fitday but i think theres was screwed, it said iw as at like 3500 a day, so i should be loosing massive weight, yet im not

Yeah, those calculators are pretty unreliable from what I've seen. 14-15 x your lean body mass + calories burned during workout is a decent place to start, and works for most folks I've seen.

spencerjrus
04-01-2005, 12:00 PM
I dont mean to be rude, but how small do you have to be to think that avatar could be a man, lol.

Isnt the entire purpose of this website to help people who are small and want to get big?

shansen008
04-01-2005, 02:27 PM
I think she looks great, myself. Never mistook her for a man in that av.

smalls
04-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Isnt the entire purpose of this website to help people who are small and want to get big?

Being small has nothing to do with making unnecassary statements in regards to others gender. The statement was ignorant and could be taken as unkind or thoughtless. I was trying to understand what type of person could make that statment.