PDA

View Full Version : Not getting enough Calories... lost...

trfe
03-29-2005, 02:24 PM
What's up guys,

Ok I'm 5'11'' 161 lbs. I have been out of the gym for 1 yr and started to get back into it about 3 months ago. A month into it i fractured 2 fingers(boarding), but i kept lifting, just couldn't close my right hand. A month after that I dislocated my left shoulder(boarding). I started lifting again last week and am very focused and determined. I am pretty good with nutrition and started tracking all my food on fitday. Yesterday i ate a ton...but only put down 151 grams of protein and 2300 calories. Fitday told me that between the exercise i input and my BMR for my height, weight, age, and sex that I was burning 3500 calories. I am at a loss here...
I immediately thought of weight gainer, but then realized what happens when i go off the weight gainer? My metabolism will still be fast and will be burning more calories than i take in, so won't i lose the extra muscle i put on? Maybe I just need to find a way to consume more calories and eat the same amount of food. Honestly i was eating the whole day, 2 protein shakes, milk, cheese, whole wheat bread, fruit, turkey, chicken, veggies, hard boiled eggs, peanut butter...and then some.

Should i give up on gaining mass and just go for being cut?

Anyone have any ideas?

Slim Jim
03-29-2005, 02:42 PM
I've got a magic potion that has helped me gain, the amazing oatmealshake! Just take about 150-250 grams of oatmeal, some proteinpowder (the same amount you use in a regular protein shake) and fill it up with either skimed milk or water. A few of theese babys a day will help you get some extra calories. Think about it, 200 grams of oatmeal is about 700 calories alone.

trfe
03-29-2005, 02:43 PM
good lookin' out man. I'll look into it. Thanks for the advice.

...just remembered my protein at work is Mint chocolate chip flavored...might make for an interesting flavor of oatmeal.

[[[----]]]
03-29-2005, 07:25 PM
Yes! 1 cup raw oats, 3 scoops protein, 1 tbsp olive oil, 3 times a day plus whatever you eat normally.....oh..you WILL gain.

CarlP
03-29-2005, 07:36 PM
If you want to eat to gain muscle mass, it is a lifestyle. You can't just eat big for a while then stop. I completely agree with the other posters. I love to add oats to my shake for extra calories. Two quotes I found from signatures around here:

You're an animal, eat like one
If you want to look abnormal, you must eat abnormal

Dirt
03-30-2005, 12:13 AM
Maybe I just need to find a way to consume more calories and eat the same amount of food. Honestly i was eating the whole day, 2 protein shakes, milk, cheese, whole wheat bread, fruit, turkey, chicken, veggies, hard boiled eggs, peanut butter...and then some.

Eating clean and eating a lot of calories is difficult. It's a trade off. If you can't eat enough food you'll never grow, but eating absolute **** (ie. McDonald's every day) isn't good for you either. Likely you're just eating far too clean for how large your appetite is. Start drinking a lot of your calories. Add icecream, cream, peanut butter, oats, bananas, etc. into your protein shake. Cut out a lot of veggies from your diet and put in more fats. Essentially most vegetables give you relatively few calories and can be quite filling.

malkore
03-30-2005, 11:42 AM
speaking of abnormal eating, it's common for pro bodybuilders to wake up at 3am and down another protein shake.
bulking can be very hard to do. it takes as much determination to stuff your face with clean foods as it does to limit yourself when cutting.
Become the machine and DO IT. Don't try, just DO IT.

asgdrew
03-30-2005, 11:54 AM
4 favorite things to eat when i was aiming to get stronger

Corn Beef Hash
Peanut butter and banana sandwiches
tuna tuna tuna
peanuts, nuts, little things like that which can be used for snacking all day.

salads are nice and healthy but if youre trying to gain weight all the green stuff will do is fill you up. I wouldnt cut them out completely but you can put more growth inducing foods into you if you cut out a salad with every meal. One less salad means more room for another slice of turkey

vypergts
03-30-2005, 12:31 PM
It would be so much easier if I could drink that kind of stuff. My gag reflex kicks in too hard :( I'd be horrible at the 2nd event on Fear Factor

trfe
03-30-2005, 02:04 PM
Great advice Dirt... I am torn about eating clean and getting enough cals... I have always tried to eat relatively clean in my life. On the otherhand I have never tried eating to bulk up before. I guess I will just learn as I go. Thanks for helping with my knowledge.