PDA

View Full Version : Tuna consumption

rlt743
03-29-2005, 04:37 PM
I heard that if you eat a lot of fish that it causes your mercury levels to rise. Is this true? I eat 7 cans of tuna a week is this a lot?

raniali
03-29-2005, 04:55 PM
you will most likely die.
but perhaps if you did a SEARCH you would find other contrary opinions.

mikren
03-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Don't worry about canned tuna. You'll be alright eating 7 cans a week.

Bohizzle
03-29-2005, 05:21 PM
as soon as u eat more than 7.0 cans of tuna in one week, your arm will drop off and attach to your head. search damnit.

Andrew

[[[----]]]
03-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Youre fine.......if you dont mind an arm growing out of your head! hehehe

Genacide
03-29-2005, 08:25 PM
Thread Takeover....

What about Wild Caught tuna that has been canned, will it have the same Mercury content as Farm raised?

I noticed that just recently Kroger brand tuna says "Wild Caught" on the side.

smalls
03-29-2005, 08:29 PM
I believe farmed tuna will be lower in mercury than wild caught, as the feeding is controled in a farmed environment. Either way I wouldnt worry too much about it, I have gone through plenty of spurts of 4 cans a day, my wang hasnt fallen off yet.

Dirt
03-29-2005, 09:56 PM
I believe farmed tuna will be lower in mercury than wild caught, as the feeding is controled in a farmed environment.

That is incorrect. Farmed salmon generally has higher levels of pollutants/contaminants than wild salmon. The fact they are raised in a controlled environment leads to a less varied diet, allowing for a greater accumulation of toxins, etc. Also, farmed salmon are fed fish food that is composed largely of fish oils. Basically, any fat soluble contaminant will be fed directly to them.

smalls
03-30-2005, 02:48 AM
That is incorrect. Farmed salmon generally has higher levels of pollutants/contaminants than wild salmon. The fact they are raised in a controlled environment leads to a less varied diet, allowing for a greater accumulation of toxins, etc. Also, farmed salmon are fed fish food that is composed largely of fish oils. Basically, any fat soluble contaminant will be fed directly to them.

Could you post up some of the numbers that relate to the amount of pollutants, and maybe some research to back this up. Not that I dont beleive you I just need some more info.

Dirt
03-30-2005, 03:56 AM
Could you post up some of the numbers that relate to the amount of pollutants, and maybe some research to back this up. Not that I dont beleive you I just need some more info.

Off hand I don't have any figures or research on it. I only really know this because a friend of mine wrote his thesis on salmon farms a couple of years ago and I editted it for him.

Here are some news articles on it (although they may not be satisfying for you I don't really feel like digging up actual research papers right now just because it doesn't really interest me much).

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/01/08/salmon.pollution.ap/

The average dioxin level in farmed-raised salmon was as 11 times higher than that in wild salmon -- 1.88 parts per billion compared with 0.17 ppb. For PCBs, the average was 36.6 ppb in farm-raised salmon and 4.75 in wild salmon.

It blames the feed used on fish farms for concentrating the ocean pollutants...Farmed salmon eat lots of fish oil and meal made from just a few species of ocean fish, which concentrates the contaminants they are exposed to, while wild salmon eat a greater variety

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3906337/

Farm-raised salmon contained significantly higher concentrations of 13 pollutants, including dioxins, released when industrial waste is burned, and PCBs, once widely used as insulating material, according to the study.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/01/08/salmon040108

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2002/05/17/Consumers/salmon_020517

*** Just want to throw in a comment here. I'm not saying that farmed is horrible and you should only eat wild. I was just putting the information out there for everyone. Personally it's not something I put any thought into.