PDA

View Full Version : Best cold cereal for complex carbs....

Collegekid
03-29-2005, 06:20 PM
Since I'm in college it'd be really nice to have a good, dry cereal that I could eat between/during classes. Specifically, I'm thinking of something that I could have along with tuna as a PPWO meal. Sometimes I don't have time to go back to my dorm and heat up oatmeal or something, but if I could find some solid, complex-carb cereal to go along with a can of tuna that would be perfect.

I was thinking granola maybe? Muesli?

EDIT: just to clarify, this would be more convenient because I could just put it in a ziplock bag and eat it dry whenever....

Built
03-29-2005, 06:21 PM
How about a multi-grain bagel?

neartaigh
03-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Granola is usually very high in sugars. Also, a lot of the commercial brands have a lot of transfats.

You could look for a low fat granola-- but those tend to be pricey.

Kashi makes a cereal called GoLean that I think is pretty tasty-- it`s all whole grain, no transfats. Or you could just eat oatmeal raw.

Also, RyVita or Wasa crackers are a good choice.

Relentless
03-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Grape Nuts or Shredded Wheat are your best choices if you want complex carb cereals with no extra sugar

if you don't mind a bit of extra sugar, you could go with whole wheat cheerios or something like that

Personally, I have been favouring 1/2c of grapenuts in the mornings with a couple tbsp of flax meal sprinkled on top to add EFAs and flavour

but yeah, a baggie of cheerios or shredded wheat is something you can munch on between classes or whatever without milk. Not sure I'd eat Grape Nuts without milk though. Urk.

Moving away from cereals, you can also just bring along some fibre-rich multigrain bread with you instead. Personally I favour Ezekiel Bread (made with sprouted grains) but it's pricey.

thajeepster
03-29-2005, 06:49 PM
ezekiel 4:9 cereals are great, food for life makes them... heres the link, very good healthy nutritious stuff.
http://www.foodforlife.com/summary.asp?cat=12

Optimum08
03-29-2005, 07:29 PM
the Kashi Go Lean isn't bad in milk...i don't know about dry though...but im with them above...why not some whole grain bread/bagel...

AKraut
03-30-2005, 06:56 PM
I had Kellogg's All-Bran before and it was pretty good after a few TBSP of splenda.