PDA

View Full Version : bread

AB2004
03-31-2005, 12:09 PM
iv just been looking on the back of a loaf of bread, how bad is it for you?? i always saw bread as a child as being a good thing.

DavyRen
03-31-2005, 12:42 PM
hopefully really good as I can do about a loaf in a day if i'm in the mood.
About 2-3g of protein per slice I think.

wannabeshreaded
03-31-2005, 01:56 PM
White bread = the devil unless you're bulking dirty

100% Whole wheat is alot better for you

abwowang
03-31-2005, 02:08 PM
i can do a loaf a day too.. but that isnt good haha

its all carbs.. bread is just a starch.. if u want protein.. u could find much better sources else where.. ppl just eat bread WITH your OTHER source of protein..
they dont eat bread for the protein.. !

vypergts
03-31-2005, 03:05 PM
Is multi-grain better than whole wheat?

Geeper
03-31-2005, 04:37 PM
Man, I haven't had a piece of bread in over a year, I think I'm gonna have to have some next cheat day.

White bread is refined so much your body basically turns it in to sugars, whole wheat is better, but who needs all those empty carbs?

abwowang
03-31-2005, 06:00 PM
multigrain.. 12 grain.. whole wheat.. all the same thing..

Slim Schaedle
03-31-2005, 10:43 PM
White bread is refined so much your body basically turns it in to sugars, whole wheat is better, but who needs all those empty carbs?

Just gonna let you know that your body converts all carbohydrates to sugar...called glucose.

Please explain wheat bread as being "empty carbs"

Geeper
04-01-2005, 03:21 AM
By "empty carbs" I mean very little good nutritional content

TheGimp
04-01-2005, 06:24 AM
By "empty carbs" I mean very little good nutritional content

um

What about protein? Fibre? Calcium? Iron? Magnesium? Zinc? Niacin? Selenium? Lutein/zeaxanthin?

Geeper
04-01-2005, 06:46 AM
um

What about protein? Fibre? Calcium? Iron? Magnesium? Zinc? Niacin? Selenium? Lutein/zeaxanthin?

If white bread is where you are relying on getting these nutrients perhaps you should take a second look at your diet.

gino
04-01-2005, 06:52 AM
...whole wheat is better, but who needs all those empty carbs?

Or perhaps you should take a second look at your post. This would indicate that you think wheat bread is "empty carbs". It's not. That's what TheGimp was referring to. No one here will argue that white bread isn't crap.

Dedicated
04-01-2005, 07:02 AM
I eat whole wheat bread exclusively. It keeps you full for a much longer time and it's just better for you overall.

TheGimp
04-01-2005, 07:19 AM
Or perhaps you should take a second look at your post. This would indicate that you think wheat bread is "empty carbs". It's not. That's what TheGimp was referring to. No one here will argue that white bread isn't crap.

Exactly :)

TwiloMike
04-01-2005, 07:23 AM
White bread, white pasta, etc. = nothing you actually want.

I've switched to multigrain and whole weat pastas and my waistline thanks me daily.

Geeper
04-01-2005, 07:36 AM
Like I said I haven't had a piece of bread in over a year, I watch my calories VERY closely and would rather down, oats or brown rice for my carbs, looking at fitday and comparing calories, nutritonal values, vits and minerals,.... calories seem to be he only big difference

gino
04-01-2005, 08:38 AM
That's great. But like we're saying, white bread IS bad carbs, wheat, oat, bran, grain bread isn't. These breads are even better carbs than brown rice.

AzBboy
04-01-2005, 11:27 AM
ALL white breads and most commercial whole wheat breads aren't very good for you, concidering they are broken down really easily, rising blood sugar levels rapidly. ANY carb that is crumbly or falls apart easily (flaked cereal, breads, ect) are broken down easily, the crumbling allowing the sugars to escape and digest quickly. Also, the whole wheat breads providing too many empty carb comments was 100% correct, due to high -fiber of wheat bread, being as fiber is indigestible by humans, therefore provide no energy as well as no calories. Better breads (low on the GI - thus not rising blood sugar levels) are sprouted or cracked wheat breads, pita breads, and EUROPEAN (not american) style coarse rye breads.

DiViNa99
04-01-2005, 11:57 AM
I rarely eat bread but, I did buy a loaf and threw in the freezer for when I feel like making french toast or a sandwich.

The brand is Arnold- Bakery Light (seven grain), low in fat.

2 slices has 80cals, 0.5gr fat, 19gr carbs(5gr of fiber, I deduct these). and 5 gr protein. Not so expensive as the LC brands out there ie.Atkins.

I use to buy the Atkins bread...has like 10gr protein for 2 slices...but, $$$.

I think it helps if you have more fiber in foods to slow down the digestion of carbs (or the absorption of sugar).

I've read some people eat Ezekiel bread. Its flourless, made with organic sprouted grains, zero gram of sugar, rich in fiber.

TheGimp
04-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Also, the whole wheat breads providing too many empty carb comments was 100% correct

You are going to have to clarify your definition of an empty carb. Wholewheat bread provides several nutrients; there is simply no comparison with, for instance, candy.

spencerjrus
04-01-2005, 12:08 PM
You are going to have to clarify your definition of an empty carb. Wholewheat bread provides several nutrients; there is simply no comparison with, for instance, candy.

I'm not really seeing your point, yes whole wheat bread is much better for you than white, this doesnt change the fact that relative to alot of other foods, whole wheat bread is still fairly empty carbs.

gino
04-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Also, the whole wheat breads providing too many empty carb comments was 100% correct, due to high -fiber of wheat bread, being as fiber is indigestible by humans, therefore provide no energy as well as no calories. Better breads (low on the GI - thus not rising blood sugar levels) are sprouted or cracked wheat breads, pita breads, and EUROPEAN (not american) style coarse rye breads.

Right, not all wheat breads fall into this category, so do some research to find out which ones are the best. Also, I would not call wheat bread "high in fiber". I don't call a couple grams "high". Fiber is actually VERY beneficial to the diet, regardless of their digestibility. Personally, I prefer oat bran bread.

Also, providing no energy and calories is the definition of "empty"? I thought that providing little/no nutritional benefit was "empty"? All food provides calories. All calories provide energy. But not all calories come with a full complement of extra benefits, such as amino acids, fatty acids, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Some foods are said to give you "empty calories." This term has nothing to do with the calorie's energy potential. It describes a "naked calorie," one with no extra benefits.

TTT
04-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Excellent post, Gino.

And Gimp.

donncon
04-01-2005, 02:11 PM
I agree with TTT, Great Post Gino.

Everyone should read the ingredients. Not all 'whole wheat' breads were created equal.

RBC13
04-02-2005, 04:47 PM
You know what, im sick of everybody trashing white bread. You say that it has no nutrients, so what are the vegetables, oats, dairy products, meat, fruit, nuts, etc. for? Also an overdose of vitamins can be harmful. You say it has no fiber, but yet fruit, veggies, and grains already get u to 50g or fiber. If u add in wheat, thats like 70g of fiber. That is not healthy for ur body, and leaves u in the toilet all day. White bread and wheat both have the same high GI, so it is good for before and after workout. It is also easy calories, so stop ranting about it, ok. Bread is the staff of life and bulking end of thread.

gino
04-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Those are some incorrect assumptions/generalizations there.

-Not all wheat breat is as high GI as white
-50g fiber from fruit & veggies? How much are you eating, buckets full?
-20g fiber from wheat bread? If you're eating 10 slices maybe.
-No one said 70g of fiber is necessary, but 90% of folks out there would be better off with more fiber in their diets.
-Adding some fiber to your diet will not put you in the bathroom all day, but it will make you get off the toilet a bit faster. lol

dissipate
04-04-2005, 09:03 AM
multigrain.. 12 grain.. whole wheat.. all the same thing..
actually there's multigrain bread being sold in my country that's mostly enriched white flour with just a bit of WM flour and the grains of course. crappy stuff.

DarrenEff
04-04-2005, 09:34 AM
I bulk with white bread and skippy peanut butter (yes that's right, not WW bread and not natural peanut butter) and I'm doing just fine =)

gino
04-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Yeah, "bulk" is the key word there.