PDA

View Full Version : Pre-workout breakfast tips needed

geoffgc
11-30-2001, 02:02 PM
Hi. I have changed my 5 day routine from going after work to going early before work, normally having my breakfast (a natural healthy one of often oatmeal, blueberries, etc) once I have gotten to work after the gym.

What I would like to know though, is what sort of natural (or supplement) food/drink would you reccommend for when I first wake up 30-45 minutes before I work out, so I can get a bit of an energy boost with the weights. I've heard of going on an empty stomach to do cardio, but I'm doing a weight routine and think I would benefit more with some sort of quick boost.

Problem is, I dont have much time before I start, and dont want quickly eat something, making me feel full/sick at the gym. I also dont want to simply down some useless sugar calories, seeing I am trying to slim down the ol' stomach.

Thanks!

Tryska
11-30-2001, 02:05 PM
cottage cheese and flax.

breakfast of champions. :D

the doc
11-30-2001, 05:36 PM
tuna and peanut butter!!!!!!!!

geoffgc
11-30-2001, 05:41 PM
while trying not to sound too much of a naive new guy here, are you guys at all serious?:help:

Tryska
11-30-2001, 05:42 PM
i detect a theme here....

the doc
11-30-2001, 06:57 PM
ok so i admit i didn't fully read that post

Have a protein shake and a tablespoon of flax or olive oil

or mix the protein in whole milk

flax is healthier though but perhaps not as useful for testosterone synthesis

Qea
11-30-2001, 08:05 PM
Protein drink

Personally I find taking too much carbs too soon before a workout gives me weird ass blood sugar levels

but maybe that's just me :D

Beefy Boy
11-30-2001, 08:49 PM
I would suggest a protein shake.

geoffgc
11-30-2001, 09:05 PM
great. the protein shake idea sounds good. I'm sure there's many-a-thread about recommended ingredients, and I'll look them up in a sec, but let me tell you what ingredients I've included as far as these shakes in the past:

soy yogurt
blueberries
a banana
orange juice
strawberries
and sometimes freshly ground flax seeds.

Would you think that this is enough in the way of protein (i guess mostly from the yogurt)? Or do you all recommend some protein powder in addition?

I'll start looking up the "weightlifting" versions of a shake now as opposed to my more "health" version I have going.

-appreciate the replies.

:newbie:

Budiak
12-01-2001, 01:25 AM
Here's what I've done for the past, say, 2 months.

Since I have to get up and workout before 11am, I dont have much prep time in the morning. What I eat is a glass of breakfast formula from protein factory, and then some sort of fast/slow carb food, like a bowl of raisin bran or a peanut butter&jelly sammich.
The theory is that the fast carbs will give you some energy while you're still on your way to the gym, and the slow ones will begin to burn for you while you're working out. The protein formula I mentioned is a good mix of dietary fat and protein.

the doc
12-01-2001, 03:04 PM
you need a protein powder. If your eating less than an hour before working out you will not have any time to digest the whole foods. Powders are easily digestested ( or at least passed throught the stomach

Wizard
12-02-2001, 10:00 AM
Have 1 serving of oatmeal and 1 scoop or two of protein powder.

geoffgc
12-02-2001, 05:24 PM
hey all. thx for the responses. after reading them, and reading lots more on this site and others, it is obvious that I need to get a Protein powder going for shakes before my workout and during the rest of the day.

since i'm still a gnu-bee, and will still require a few more weeks of really reading up on Protein supplements to best understand the full gammet of what's available, can you all give me a quick recommendation of which type/brand you prefer, or even better, what would be good for me.

i'm 29, 5'11, 178 lbs, and probably about 15 lbs overweight. I've always been working out off and on, but the last 4 years i've been bad with sticking to the weights. So i'm trying to get back on track with my eating (transforming my mostly healthy diet into a healthy/weightlifting diet) and consistent workouts. I do not have the knowledge/time right now to get into the whole in depth world of building (cutting/bulking, etc etc), but would like to make a good general progress of gettin my muscles back cut and bigger and the waist down.

I'm guessing a whey isolate is the best for now?

Prelude
12-03-2001, 08:41 AM
Have 1 serving of oatmeal and 1 scoop or two of protein powder. :nod:

I tried this and I got an incredible pump while working out. I tried whole foods with fats and for some reason it made me tired and felt lousy while working out

the doc
12-03-2001, 09:49 AM
if your gonna use this powder for various purposes then get a blend of proteins

geoffgc
12-03-2001, 12:02 PM
The blended mix sounds good for now. Any reccommendation on store/brand so i don't have to look like a chump and get the unnecessarily expensive and/or worthless stuff?

the doc
12-03-2001, 12:10 PM
well i like protein factory penta pro
if you are against soy then get it with soy

I do not work for them btw...

geoffgc
12-03-2001, 12:56 PM
Ok. one more question as far as protein. I keep seeing people speak about protein "powder" and protein "shakes". What's the difference? Is the powder like whey isolate simply only a flavorless powder that you add to a fruit shake or milk? Or do they all have some sort of flavor?

I ask because I've seen this posted in this thread earlier: "Have 1 serving of oatmeal and 1 scoop or two of protein powder."

Is that putting the powder into the oatmeal? Or mixing it separate with water or milk?

I do realize that there are things like Myoplex that are kinda like stand-alone mini meals, meaning flavor, protein, vitamins, and a bunch of other stuff. but, honestly, im not as interested in those.

thx again for the help.

Prelude
12-03-2001, 01:29 PM
protein powder = protein only

protein shake = MRP (Meal Replacement)

I use a protein powder and if I want to make a shake, I mix it with skim milk (sometimes with fruit, depending if you're bulking or cutting) and put it in the blender.

syntekz
12-03-2001, 01:33 PM
protein shake/powder are interchangeable.

a MRP is a meal replacement shake/bar.

Prelude
12-03-2001, 01:38 PM
I think he was asking about a protein shake like Myoplex and a protein powder like Whey isolate or Egg protein, etc.

geoffgc
12-03-2001, 01:47 PM
ive looked around some more, and it looks like some of the powders still come in a flavor, like fruity or vanilla, but arent MRP's.

I'm looking closely at getting this: http://www.proteinfactory.com/cfm-whey.htm

Im guessing that I'll mix it into my oatmeal, or milk, or a homemade fruit shake to take it.

geoffgc
12-03-2001, 01:52 PM
ok. im a little slow. i called them and looked at their order form. their powders like cfm-whey come flavorless, but you can check which flavor you would like added if you want. I guess I'll just get that and experiment what with and how I can mix it in.