PDA

View Full Version : Human body calorie-burning priority line

bjones56
03-31-2005, 09:26 PM
I just wanted to understand how the body prioritizes its calorie stores.

1) Does the body utilize different calories first depending on the time of day (existing bodyfat vs. food in stomach vs. muscle tissue)?

2) Under what circumstance does the body burn muscle tissue before bodyfat? Obviously this must be true, or else everyone would be ripped to shreds before ever losing muscle mass.

3) Does cardio in the morning on an empty stomach burn the most existing bodyfat? is this debated at all or 100% factual?

4) under what circumstance would a late-night protein shake be stored as fat rather than feed muscle or be burned off? Is the only relevant factor whether or not you are lifting (hypertrophied muscles) or not?

I know its a lot of questions, but this stuff has been on my mind for a while. I'm just trying to understand the order.

Thanks in advance.

KingJustin
03-31-2005, 10:30 PM
Great questions, I'd like to know some of these answers as well.
To answer #3:

3) Does cardio in the morning on an empty stomach burn the most existing bodyfat? is this debated at all or 100% factual?
I believe a study was done on rats which noted that after fasting 8(?) hours they burned more fat from exercise than after eating a meal. (It also noted they spared more muscle if they had some protein before exercise)