PDA

View Full Version : what do y'as think of this diet over at Elite

11-30-2001, 04:24 PM
Was browsing elite today and came across this thread:
http://209.11.101.244/forum/showthread.php?threadid=84428

A very strict diet but looks great for burning fat.

My only concern is, will the brain be getting enough carbs to function fully?

What is everyones opinion on this diet in general?

big calvin
11-30-2001, 04:30 PM
if cutting it looks great!!

the doc
11-30-2001, 04:43 PM
well i dont care what he says if your only getting 30-50 g carbs post workout then this is a ketogenic diet.

It is basicly a slightly modified TKD

COnsuming lots of green leafy vegetables really does not add significant carbs to your diet

I like also how he keeps talking about "good fat" even though he stresses eating red meat.

Overall though i say it would work. Many people have had success using TKD

w8lifter
11-30-2001, 04:53 PM
It is very similar to what Poliquin uses w/ his athletes. I'd do it.

However, I'd probably tweak it a bit for myself:

chicken instead of red meat
chicken, egg whites & albacore tuna instead of all those supps
30-50g complex carbs (oats, brown rice or sweet potato) at breaky & post workout
6 instead of 8 weeks.

Tryska
11-30-2001, 06:16 PM
excellent guidelines....pretty much the ones i stick to. (when i'm eating :()

Beefy Boy
11-30-2001, 10:03 PM
I think it is a pretty good cutting diet.It is very similar to the one i am just starting.I think the guidelines are pretty good and you can change it to suit your own needs.

Scooby-Doo
11-30-2001, 10:39 PM
That diet looks like it would be extremely effictive, however it would require TONs of prep work and its extremely strict.

Sinep
11-30-2001, 11:04 PM
Seems to be a keto-diet...

Tryska
12-01-2001, 06:39 AM
Protein 1.5 - 2 grams per lb of Bodyweight
Fat .5 - .75grams per lb of Bodyweight
Carbs (only post workout) 30-50 grams
Fiber in the form of Green Veggies - As much as Possible.

yeah...that's a keto. *lol* i skimmed right over that part when reading it last night.

it's still one of the best diets for cutting IMO.

12-01-2001, 08:17 AM
will it preserve almost all your muscle like he says?

Prelude
12-06-2001, 03:17 PM
He mentioned something about on carb load every 2-3 days you can eat brown rice or oats but not wheat bread. Why, what's wrong with wheat bread?

MWB
12-06-2001, 04:10 PM
Wheat bread is processed and has a higher GI than brown rice and oats. More sodium too.

Prelude
12-06-2001, 04:12 PM
So it will be like or close to like a white bread then, right? So, what's a good bread to eat that's low in sodium and GI?

12-06-2001, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Prelude
So it will be like or close to like a white bread then, right? So, what's a good bread to eat that's low in sodium and GI?

wheat bread is the best bread to eat.. hehe.

MWB
12-06-2001, 07:31 PM
If you are going to eat bread, 12grain or something similar. I just cut it out all together.

Prelude
12-07-2001, 08:33 AM
Thanks!!!:thumbup:

Wizard
12-07-2001, 08:54 AM
It's no way a keto diet

dharmendra
12-12-2001, 08:49 AM
:confused:
why such extreme measures

Tryska
12-12-2001, 08:54 AM
heh blackie i just went back and looked at the guidelines again...your right..not a keto....i had the grams for fat and protein reveresed...*lol* reading is fundamental right?

dharmendra - because a keto, IMO anyway, is one of the most effective ways of losing bodyfat, while preserving muscle out there.

dharmendra
12-13-2001, 01:33 AM
but this cannot be followed on a long term basis,right so there has to be a more nutritivly balanced diet that you can follow afer afew weeks on this keto diet

Tryska
12-13-2001, 05:18 AM
no..it's best used short term or on a cyclical basis. i personally prefer an iso-caloric or low-carb diet most of the time.

dharmendra
12-14-2001, 12:41 AM
do you stay on a low carb diet for most of the year,why?
is it because you tend to put on more fat than muscle on a
typical 60-30-10 (carb- pro-fat ) diet.
and how do you compensate for the decrease in carbs by increasing protien or essantial fatty acids.:confused:

ThaOne Crumcake
12-14-2001, 03:04 AM
What's up Everyone, This is my First Post on This Board.

Monstar, told me to Check you guys out, He said that there are a buncha smart people over here on this site. And i'm always lookin to learn, as well as Help others when I can.

I wrote that Diet on Elite, as you can probably tell by my Handle.

If you have any questions, shoot. I'll try my best to help out.

P.s. tha doc,

Originally posted by the doc
well i dont care what he says if your only getting 30-50 g carbs post workout then this is a ketogenic diet.

I like also how he keeps talking about "good fat" even though he stresses eating red meat.

Overall though i say it would work. Many people have had success using TKD

It is not a Keto Diet, For it to be a Keto Diet you would have to be getting roughly 50-70% of your Calories from Fat sources.

I find it interesting that you do not consider Extra Lean Red Meat as a good fat source, Although I know it has some saturated Fat, it is an extremely nutritious form of protein, it also does contain CLA, which is by all means a "healthy fat".

Also you have to remember, you will be getting A LOT of Healthy Fats from other sources, (Salmon, Safflower, Flax, E.V. Olive Oil, etc). If you have a problem with red meat, then switch it out for some type of Fatty Cold water fish such as Salmon.

I encourage everyone who is serious about trying this plan to first Read the ENTIRE thread, read every single question and response.

Good Luck guys,

Peace.

ThaOne Crumcake
12-14-2001, 03:06 AM
P.S. Also check out the "Modified" version of this plan, in the same thread.

Peace.

Tryska
12-14-2001, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by dharmendra
do you stay on a low carb diet for most of the year,why?
is it because you tend to put on more fat than muscle on a
typical 60-30-10 (carb- pro-fat ) diet.
and how do you compensate for the decrease in carbs by increasing protien or essantial fatty acids.:confused:

i do stay on it most of the year.....actually i've basicaly cut grains, sugars, and starchy foods out of my diet, and use fresh fruits, vegetables and dairy as my carb sources, as they have a minimal insulin response. and i do this because this eating style is what my body handles best. it was rough when i first switched over, but now adays i'm just fine......i also make up for the carbs in both protein and fat.

dharmendra
12-15-2001, 08:50 AM
how do you train on this diet do you cycle your traning?

because it must be difficult to train for long on this low carb diet.

Tryska
12-15-2001, 01:19 PM
i train 2-3 times a week and do cardio 5 times a week....my poundage is progressing nicely.....well except my bench which is still plateaud. i've been like this since august though..so i'm used to it now....that first two weeks during the metabolism changeover kinda sucked...but other than that, it's been just fine.

dharmendra
12-17-2001, 12:37 AM
dont worry about your bench, as long as every thing else is going fine it is a highly over rated exercise. (some people put it in the same league as squats and deadlifts I dont think so.) :cool: